Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chrungka
Jan 27, 2015
New comic wall of text is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That was... a lot of set up for a really old joke.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Most of Erfworld's jokes are. It's fine, it was good setup.

We got plot, too. And info on how Charlie gets his neat toys.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 1, 2016

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I don't get the joke. :saddowns:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Phenotype posted:

I don't get the joke. :saddowns:
It's a reference to an old meme.

Someone link it for me, I'm lazy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/nopeavi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14

It's dumb and a waste of an update.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Oh, for gently caress's sake. I've seen that thing before. I thought the extent of it was that the guy looked like a TF2 Engineer.

As for plot, it DID get the Arkenpliers and a rifle back to Gobwin Knob.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

IMO, the best punchline in a text update was "misfortunes come in twos... and threes, fives, sevens, elevens..."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So far the decrypted Archons have been pretty badass. Even though they're still just as brainwashed as they were under the influence of the Arkendish, they somehow come off as more...heroic, for lack of a better word. It's probably mostly because they're being switched to an underdog side, while with Charlie they're almost always in an advantageous position.

By the way, am I correct in thinking that Charlie being all decrepid is due to that poison Olive Branch gave him that forcibly attempted to un-attune him from the Arkendish? It seemed to be at the very least heavily implied, but I wasn't sure. If so that at least answers why he looks so terrible, since we've previously been told that peoples' Signamancy directly correlates with how influential/powerful/protected by fate/whatever they are, so it seemed weird for someone as important as Charlie to look so bad.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

So far the decrypted Archons have been pretty badass. Even though they're still just as brainwashed as they were under the influence of the Arkendish, they somehow come off as more...heroic, for lack of a better word. It's probably mostly because they're being switched to an underdog side, while with Charlie they're almost always in an advantageous position.

Maybe Archons are just that powerful. Each one is what, 600 smuckers a turn in upkeep? That's supposedly ridiculous. Charlie's doesn't take risks though - and the decrypted archons do.

Krilion fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 3, 2016

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Ytlaya posted:

By the way, am I correct in thinking that Charlie being all decrepid is due to that poison Olive Branch gave him that forcibly attempted to un-attune him from the Arkendish? It seemed to be at the very least heavily implied, but I wasn't sure. If so that at least answers why he looks so terrible, since we've previously been told that peoples' Signamancy directly correlates with how influential/powerful/protected by fate/whatever they are, so it seemed weird for someone as important as Charlie to look so bad.

But Charlie tries to never take risks, never goes anywhere, never does anything (his archons do it all). He acts wildly different from all the other sides, to the point where the game rules may not recognize him as playing seriously.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Didn't King Jetstone say once back in book two that his signamancy shifted to him being so short after he stopped fighting directly on the field for so many turns? It could be something similar for Charlie, like you say, yeah.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

New wordy update.

Interesting to see how the great minds work, but so god drat Deus Ex Machina

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Thinkamancy is interesting as hell.

Also, lmao if you didn't expect either this or a Flower Power version of this.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I foresee an up-to-eleven joke at some point in the future, involving Maggie and an Arken-something, since there's apparently 4 theoretical link levels that can't be achieved normally, 7 being the highest normally attainable, 11 being the theoretical highest.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

Also, lmao if you didn't expect either this or a Flower Power version of this.

I was expecting flower power or Parson escaping to a third party, which would have been interesting as well. This kinda came from nowhere and neatly gets Parson out of immediate trouble. Will have to see how it unfolds.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
I'm disappointed. The Thinkamancer thing seems rather pulled from the rear end. They grey/unpainted casters could at least be explained and would probably have given us an early-Erf info dump which would have been awesome.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Erev posted:

I'm disappointed. The Thinkamancer thing seems rather pulled from the rear end. They grey/unpainted casters could at least be explained and would probably have given us an early-Erf info dump which would have been awesome.

I don't really mind. It has been established that 1. the Thinkamancers as a whole are a very significant power within the Magic Kingdom (actually possibly the greatest single, unified power) and 2. most of them care very strongly about making sure Parson is around to defeat Charlie.

The one thing that bugs me about this whole recent conflict, though, is that it seems like most of the random Magic Kingdom casters were just shooting Shockamancy at Parson and company. I would have expected them to be able to gently caress over the Gobwin Knob troops far more through the use of their disciplines. Then again, Fate is probably involved and no casting can really do anything about that (except for Carnymancy, sorta, though even that can just change the conditions of an outcome).

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Parson's probably gonna be pretty pissed that the Thinkamancers waited until most of his team was dead or incapacitated before doing this.

Ytlaya posted:

I would have expected them to be able to gently caress over the Gobwin Knob troops far more through the use of their disciplines.

It looks like the archons picked off anyone who was trying anything more elaborate.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I don't really mind. It has been established that 1. the Thinkamancers as a whole are a very significant power within the Magic Kingdom (actually possibly the greatest single, unified power) and 2. most of them care very strongly about making sure Parson is around to defeat Charlie.

The one thing that bugs me about this whole recent conflict, though, is that it seems like most of the random Magic Kingdom casters were just shooting Shockamancy at Parson and company. I would have expected them to be able to gently caress over the Gobwin Knob troops far more through the use of their disciplines. Then again, Fate is probably involved and no casting can really do anything about that (except for Carnymancy, sorta, though even that can just change the conditions of an outcome).

That's why it didn't feel like a deus ex machina to me -- it's not only the Thinkamancers, the Hippiemancers are also invested in Parson and Gobwin Knob, and they also have a no-fighting spell that we've even seen used before. And if that many random casters have heard about the fight and joined the battle, you have to expect the pro-GK casters to hear about it and get involved as well. I was actually surprised at how brutal their losses were before help arrived.

And I think they hosed over the Gobwin Knob troops just fine with lightning bolts. They killed Marie, almost all the troops, and quite a few Decrypted casters, and had Parson fleeing with the unconscious bodies of the other main characters on his shoulders. I also have to imagine that, like the way unled troops have no initiative and throw themselves into any fight, most of the free casters aren't super crafty battle wizards, and so they really aren't comfortable enough in a fight to think up cool strategies with their non-blasty spells.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I didn't consider that. Casters may have above average intelligence for Erfworld, but that's (very) faint praise. Parson "cheated" GK into a winning position by exploiting the (sometimes) obvious mechanics they all live by.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Most casters don't see battle outside of like, a capital fight (where they'd be lost anyway so might as well risk them.) We saw when Wanda popped she had to actively point out "hey maybe you could send me into battle," despite croakamancers being probably the second most useful in battle/useless outside of battle discipline (I could see healomancers being more so, but also less so, really need to know more about their capabilities.) For a not insignificant number this might just be the first time they've seen open combat, ever.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

New one is up!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

On the one side, Erfworld doesn't exactly suffer from a dearth of either characters or plotlines, so it's probably for the best that we ended up in a known side's portal (even if it's more than a little contrived).

On the other side, drat I was really hoping we'd get to meet a new side :(

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
For the most part I'm not a huge fan of Translyvito as a side so far. Hopefully this will change my mind in that regard. The place is a powderkeg but I have a hard time seeing either side of the budding civil war taking kindly to Gobwin Knob units.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

And see? Not a deus ex machina. Aside from a couple moments of disorientation, Parson ended up doing exactly what he was planning on doing pre-collide-a-scope.

It turns out that waiting for enough discussion "to fill a library" before you act means you might be acting much too late to make any difference.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

This might be the worst place Parson could have ended up short of Charlescomm.

Although at least Bunny has a reason to help him.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I dunno, Caesar now has a very compelling answer to both Don King and Transylvito's money problems.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Reene posted:

I dunno, Caesar now has a very compelling answer to both Don King and Transylvito's money problems.

Also doesn't he see Don King's new focus on monarchy to be a liability?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Carrasco posted:

This might be the worst place Parson could have ended up short of Charlescomm.

Hey! At least it's not FAQ!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

reignonyourparade posted:

Hey! At least it's not FAQ!

That'd be quick. His head would be on a pike as soon as Jillian realized that the person in front of her was responsible for the volcano uncroaking.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Erev posted:

I'm disappointed. The Thinkamancer thing seems rather pulled from the rear end.

The entire plotline seems that way lately. Worse than usual.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

But fate magic ...

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Why would it be unexpected for Parson's powerful and manipulative coalition of allies in the Magic Kingdom to take action when something big happens involving him in the Magic Kingdom?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this honestly doesn't seem any more out of nowhere to me than uncroaking the volcano was back in book 1. The Great Minds were established ages ago, we know that linked casters are a thing, we know that they want to keep Parson under control and weaken Charlie. Just because it wasn't set up immediately before the battle doesn't mean this wasn't set up at all.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
We did already know that the thinkomancers have bullshit tricks to pull out too, from Parson and Artemis discussing "their castle." "Too many ways to stop a unit in their tracks" and whatnot. We just didn't previously know what exactly they WERE.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

It also takes the edge off that while it ended the Charlie Foxtrot, it wasn't an unequivocal victory for Parson, or even an unqualified victory. All it did was allow him to make a very painful retreat that put him in a situation that's not that much better than being shot at. (I mean, it beats getting shot at, but if Transylvito decides they want him dead he can't really fight back or run or anything.)

Also, poor Sizemore. "Big battle in the MK" is the worst news he could hear, and "idk you figure it out" is not much better.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

reignonyourparade posted:

We did already know that the thinkomancers have bullshit tricks to pull out too, from Parson and Artemis discussing "their castle." "Too many ways to stop a unit in their tracks" and whatnot. We just didn't previously know what exactly they WERE.

To clarify - this is sort of what I mean. I feel that Thinkamancers, in their current form, cheapen some of the other casting classes to one extent or another - especially casting classes that deal with the mind or perception. Thinkamancers are, after the Arkendish, the premier communication service on Erfworld and put Hat Magicians to shame. They've shown mastery of mental fuckery that puts them in direct competition with Carnimancers and Foolamancers. They've got, to our knowledge, unique access to larger caster links into which they can add casters from other disciplines Voltron-style to leech - and even improve upon - their effects. Certainly they do not replace other casting classes, but they do seem to be the OP choice of the lot. It doesn't help that I cannot stand the Great Minds. I mean, I think that we were meant to dislike the Great Minds to an extent, but for me I absolutely loathe reading anything regarding them. That isn't to say 'screw Thinkamancers' - Bunny's alright and I love how Maggie is coming along.

In regards to the straw that broke the camel's back - this just intrudes too far into Foolamancy (screwing with the senses) for me to like. Granted 'thinking means brains means screwing with whatever gets processed there which means perceptions and balance and such' but... I dunno. I think it'd be a lot more interesting if the powers of the various casters didn't step on one another's toes so often - especially when the caster type in question is already so powerful.

Edit: Page 141 is out and looks to be the end of Book 3. I'm definitely looking forward to the Epilogue pages coming up. After those conclude I hope that we get into Book 4 a bit more quickly considering that there seems to be a solid art team and the Toolshed is doing its thing.

Page 141 itself has a fairly nice visual wrapup on it and there is quite a bit to take in. The panel with the shot of the MK has most of my attention. Also in the last panel Charlie's wisp of hair almost looks like some kind of third eye (not that I think it is).

Erev fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 11, 2016

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
They may not be doing purely thinkamancy there. All casters can study other disciplines, and scrolls of any discipline can be used by any caster. It's likely that a few of the thinkamancers branched out into foolamancy. Given that the end result of the spell put Parson in a hostile territory, I think that whoever's foolamancy they used wasn't exactly top-tier (if someone like Jack were in the link Parson could probably have been directed subtly to a better portal).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Eh, Parson being prisoner of Transylvito isn't bad. They got access to Bunny and while she's a pariah, they can offer her redemption if she help manipulate the situation. It's also not on the rear end end of the world, so GK could mount a rescue or easy ransom.