Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Erev posted:

To clarify - this is sort of what I mean. I feel that Thinkamancers, in their current form, cheapen some of the other casting classes to one extent or another - especially casting classes that deal with the mind or perception.

I agree with this. Thinkamancers are incredibly OP as depicted precisely because the author has failed to really draw a line between thinkamancy and other thematically similar magical disciplines, meaning they end up getting a pretty big slice of the pie in terms of the kinds of powers available to them and the others lose out.

I understand the current scenario was set up and foreshadowed to allow the Great Minds to intervene in the way they did, I just wish he'd found a less hamfisted way to do it I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The CollidoScope was explicitly a super linked spell involving Lookamancy and Thinkamancy

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Reene posted:

I understand the current scenario was set up and foreshadowed to allow the Great Minds to intervene in the way they did, I just wish he'd found a less hamfisted way to do it I guess.

I'm really not sure what you guys are complaining about. The effect of the Great Minds' interference was precisely 0. Parson says "grab the wounded and run through a random portal to surrender." Then he picks up Jack and Maggie, the Collide-a-scope hits, and he runs through a random portal to surrender. All they accomplished was giving everyone a few seconds of nausea, and I suppose Parson may have picked a different portal, but again, he was choosing a portal at random to begin with, and the Great Minds unleashed their spell specifically to STOP him from going through a random portal and away from their influence. They might as well have just saved the juice, for all the good it did them.

I can understand if the Thinkamancers had stopped everything as soon as the free casters started attacking and it looked like Gobwin Knob was in trouble, but GK took severe losses and was already in full retreat by the time they did anything. A real hamfisted deus ex machina would have had them intervene right away, and Gobwin Knob would have won the battle and gained an army of Decrypted casters.

Toraen posted:

Given that the end result of the spell put Parson in a hostile territory, I think that whoever's foolamancy they used wasn't exactly top-tier (if someone like Jack were in the link Parson could probably have been directed subtly to a better portal).

Since we never heard them discuss changing his escape portal in the reams of Thinkamancer debate, and given that the end result of the spell was Parson going to a hostile kingdom, I think Occam's Razor tells us that the spell didn't magically affect his choice of portal at all, except through random perspective shifts.

The only thing it might have done was keep any spells from hitting Parson for the few seconds it took him to retreat, but I don't think anyone really thought Parson was going to get killed by a blast from a random caster, anyway.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 11, 2016

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Basically the Great Minds are OP on paper but shackled with so much bureaucracy they end up being almost useless in practice.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The great minds are our only example of multiple members of the top end of a discipline working together. Is it intruding on foolamancy? Perhaps, but then again perhaps if a bunch of Master class foolamancers had stepped in they would have done even better.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

reignonyourparade posted:

The great minds are our only example of multiple members of the top end of a discipline working together. Is it intruding on foolamancy? Perhaps, but then again perhaps if a bunch of Master class foolamancers had stepped in they would have done even better.

Except that they can't. Cause linking.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
They can't LINK but that doesnt mean they can't work together.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The only real power disparity seems to be that you need one Thinkamancer to open a link between whatever casters you actually want to use, which is admittedly a thing.

A lot of the other stuff seems like it's less effective than the Great Minds think it is—their super-link really just lets them get more pointless overanalysis done in a day, since they can't actually make decisions faster or better.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The super-mind link is pretty strong, the only problem with it is that they were dumb enough to require a unanimous vote to actually accomplish anything with it.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Analysis Paralysis is a fantastic Achilles Heel for the Thinkamancers, it really is.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

sirtommygunn posted:

The super-mind link is pretty strong, the only problem with it is that they were dumb enough to require a unanimous vote to actually accomplish anything with it.

They were going to run into a lot of the same problems even if they didn't have a saboteur on the team, because at bottom they don't actually Think Alike and being able to argue very fast isn't going to result in their reaching genuine consensus in most cases.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
New page, basically summarizing the aftermath.

Who's the person in the tapestry on the first panel? I get the feeling it's Misty but not sure.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Misty?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Gobwin Knob's late lookamancer, the one that got killed when they broke the link.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rygar201 posted:

Analysis Paralysis is a fantastic Achilles Heel for the Thinkamancers, it really is.
Yeah. Thematically, it's brilliant that the Thinkamancers' weakness is that they think too much.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Here.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

reignonyourparade posted:

Never mind I forgot that thinkamancy and foolamancy were both part of eyemancy. Several of the great minds presumably just straight up ARE foolamancers (in that update they remind that there are several lookamancers in their ranks.) Its not actually intrusion at all.

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 12, 2016

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
While all Thinkamancers are Eyemancers, not all Eyemancers are Thinkamancers. It's the Thinkamancer Temple, not the Eyemancer.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, but it's close enough that the Great Minds having some Thinkamancers with a minor in Foolamancy is pretty reasonable.

I totally forgot about that.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Whoever wants a free Book 1 and 2 download can use the following code for it. I accidentally paid with Schmuckers (yes, I support this stupid webcomic financially)

*used*

As far as using it goes, good luck. I accidentally used store credit because I couldn't find the coupon code box and assumed it would be on the next page.

Rygar201 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 13, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Nabbed, thanks. :)

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Kyte posted:

Basically the Great Minds are OP on paper but shackled with so much bureaucracy they end up being almost useless in practice.

Well, they weren't able to intervene earlier because you know...

Charlie has a spy loving with them.

But know we now archons can go through any portal.

Or at least decrypted ones can.

And Stanley is loving chill.

Krilion fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 13, 2016

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Krilion posted:

But know we now archons can go through any portal.

Or at least decrypted ones can.

Either that or the portals only zap you on the way *in* and any unit can leave the Magic Kingdom through them without getting annihilated.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Which WOULD make sense to let dirtamancers and foolamancers sell golems.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Idle thought I had: we know "non-casters can't cast magic " is a rule that can be broken, given Charlie Carny'd a scroll to allow that. Presumably you can't do that with normal spells because the unit doesn't have a caster special and therefore no juice. But Weirdomancers, IIRC, can confer specials on units. But not spellcasting because of the previous rule.
So I wonder if perhaps a link between the two would let you turn a unit into a Caster. I'd assume Fate would pick which kinda caster it'd be.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

New one is up, a little late.

I'm not sure what it means for Stanley to be choosing a new Chief Warlord and Caster already. I suppose Transylvito isn't going to trade Parson back so easily, but they're broke as gently caress, last we saw, so I wouldn't think they'd have much choice but to accept some of Stanley's new money. We still haven't had any conclusion to Ansom's diplomatic mission to Jetstone, I don't think, so he should be coming back to GK in the next couple turns, so I don't know why he wouldn't be the obvious Chief Warlord even if Parson wasn't coming back right away. It also suggests that Wanda and the other Magic Kingdom survivors are being held by hostile free casters, despite seeing Janis and the Thinkamancers showing up last issue.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 14, 2016

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

All it really confirms is that going even the smallest length of time with Leadership gaps is stupid and to be avoided.

I can't wait for :black101: Stanley, Tool of the Titans! :black101: to ROCK OUT and smack a bunch of Archons down!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm kinda hyped to finally see the payoff for all this build-up about the Juggle Elves. References aside, the concept of a tribe of elves outcast from the other groups is actually pretty neat.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Speaking of Ansom's mission, Tramennis has already said that he wants Parson to visit Jetstone, so that's probably where this will all somehow end up.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Phenotype posted:

New one is up, a little late.

I'm not sure what it means for Stanley to be choosing a new Chief Warlord and Caster already. I suppose Transylvito isn't going to trade Parson back so easily, but they're broke as gently caress, last we saw, so I wouldn't think they'd have much choice but to accept some of Stanley's new money. We still haven't had any conclusion to Ansom's diplomatic mission to Jetstone, I don't think, so he should be coming back to GK in the next couple turns, so I don't know why he wouldn't be the obvious Chief Warlord even if Parson wasn't coming back right away. It also suggests that Wanda and the other Magic Kingdom survivors are being held by hostile free casters, despite seeing Janis and the Thinkamancers showing up last issue.

The problem is that making contact with anybody needs a Thinkamancer or an Eyebook and Stanley's away from the former and Ansom doesn't have the latter. So you gotta do with what you have on hand.

Also interesting how Ace has no problem talking about his former allegiance.

That archon is a bit rude.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Kyte posted:

Also interesting how Ace has no problem talking about his former allegiance.

That archon is a bit rude.

I'm pretty sure that's a loyalty stat thing. The archon may have had a naturally high loyalty to Charlescomm whereas Ace... Ace's loyalty was probably more to Cubbins than Jetstone considering how Slately treated him and he's found appreciation and encouragement to try stuff and tinker with Goblin Knob.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Erev posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a loyalty stat thing. The archon may have had a naturally high loyalty to Charlescomm whereas Ace... Ace's loyalty was probably more to Cubbins than Jetstone considering how Slately treated him and he's found appreciation and encouragement to try stuff and tinker with Goblin Knob.

From the page we saw from her perspective, it's less loyalty and more a radically different chain of command. Her new chief warlord (and she's not even used to having warlords) is lower level than her, and also partly getting connected to Artemis's treatment of the archons which was... Not the best.

That's probably part of why she was hoping to talk to Stanley, because from what she can tell, obviously warlords won't listen to how you shouldn't treat archons like mere flying knights so the only recourse is to try to convince the ruler.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

New one! Juggle Elves are much cooler than Juggalos

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
"They don't use weapons!" Uh oh. Sizemore really should've booked Stanley again after Ace showed him the guns.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Field archons don't use them. And Charlie would have to pull them back to arm them.

Lamhirh
Sep 8, 2012
I enjoy Charlie's characterization in this new update, and how he's contrasted with Parson. Charlie isn't ruthless and evil with his subordinates, but he kind of dehumanizes them here, while Parson has always been concerned about his notions of morality regarding freedom and choice to an extent that puzzles native Erfworlders.

I guess the ironic twist to that is that Charlie is the one fighting for free will against Fate?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Lamhirh posted:

I enjoy Charlie's characterization in this new update, and how he's contrasted with Parson. Charlie isn't ruthless and evil with his subordinates, but he kind of dehumanizes them here, while Parson has always been concerned about his notions of morality regarding freedom and choice to an extent that puzzles native Erfworlders.

I guess the ironic twist to that is that Charlie is the one fighting for free will against Fate?

By which we mean: New Strip Text

Ajon
Aug 8, 2007
'VRROOOMMM!!!' roared the car. 'SPRUITS!' said gramma.
Has the concept of turns ever been clarified? What if a side never ends its turn?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Ajon posted:

Has the concept of turns ever been clarified? What if a side never ends its turn?

It does seem like the kind of loophole that Parson loves abusing. Still, I suspect there's probably some underlying game mechanics that punish an endless turn even if they haven't made it explicit so far as i can recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Near the end of Book 0, there's a bit that mentions Jill "decided to let the turn end on its own". So there's some kind of limit here, probably what Charlie is referring to by the turn growing stale.