Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I think that's Piccolo in panel 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

Stanley is legit the best character in this comic (after Lilith, of course). He's got the sort of reckless stupidity that keeps ruining everyone's plans because he's not supposed to take this stupid option, and then he does.

Oh poo poo, Stanley is pretty much Aesma. (mythical figure from Kill Six Billion Demons who's never stops being a little poo poo which is also the source of her power.)

It's not a stupid option, though. The TV estimate of Gobwin Knob's treasury was considerably off.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

Simple-minded would probably be a better description, but Stanley's on-the-spot acceptance of the first offer gives away A) Gobwin Knob is drastically richer than they estimated B) The hostages are worth so much that Stanley didn't even hesitate to pay an incredible fortune of 2 mil.

As a general rule its bad to give away free information like that, but these 2 things basically cratered moral at trasylvito. It showed them that they didn't even know the game that was being played, and also made Don out to be a complete fool, AND may even inspire a coup!

Meanwhile, Stanley knew the game from the word go: Parson and company are incredibly important so do whatever it takes to get them back. His stubborn, short-sighted arrogance is wielded like his hammer.

Not that I think Stanley somehow thought it through like this, but taking what was intended to be a bankrupting offer immediately seems like an advantageous move. If he had been smart and tried to play it cool and drag out negotiations, TV could have learned of the ceasefire and the actual treasury of Gobwin Knob. The next meeting the ransom could have been raised to 30 million "for rudely dismissing our immensely generous and fair initial offer."

So basically, Stanley being Stanley and not a super genius was actually preferable in this instance.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
This is about an older strip, right? I don't see anything about that particular line in the latest one.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Carrasco posted:

That's true, but if I remember the explanation in book 1 right, rulers are the only ones who don't have duty, loyalty, etc.. So it's like there's not even a rule for him to break. Might be the domain of Weirdomancy, since as far as we've seen that deals with granting or taking away unit specials, so a Turna-Weirdomancy link could do something.

In the Wanda/Jillian prequel whose name escapes me, King Banhammer was narrowly stopped from surrendering his side to Haffaton, so presumably it's possible to subsume an entire side if you somehow persuade/threaten their ruler to give their kingdom away.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
On the Erfworld Wiki, one can find this shiny mystery box:

https://wiki.erfworld.com/Word_of_the_Titans#2198313

quote:

Re: What about Parson's friends?

True spoiler, from the author. Think before clicking, please. Seriously.

Has anyone dared click it? Is it a joke? Does it ruin the comic?? :psyduck:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Jillian doesn't look right in that one panel. I can't remember ever seeing that much white in an Erfworlder's eyes. It's like she's temporarily a different "race" (Some of them don't have any sclera.)

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

nimby posted:

None of the above: The Great Minds didn't kill them. Something lurks beneath the bedrock that only tolerates free casters did.

I like this idea because it ties into the hints that there's a greater threat beyond Charlie.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

White Coke posted:

What hints? What threat? Do you mean the Titans or Fate?

The hints I'm thinking of in particular are Charlie's line about "the only enemy worth fighting" (Which could refer to fate/Fate in the abstract, or something more tangible) and Parson saying that he wasn't so sure that Charlie was the endgame.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Bobulus posted:

I mean, Parson's side did the exact same thing when they went on their big post-Archenpliers-attunement expansion. We were told about it in a text update from the perspective of a stabber.
At least when Gobwin Knob/Wanda did it they were brought back as decrypted afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
If they decrypt Bunny and she is freed from old restrictions similar to Jack being allowed to discuss Charlie's Deal-of-a-Lifetime, I wonder if we might not learn something that turns Parson against the Great Minds.

After reading the sequence where Bunny's mind is unmade, the Great Minds seem like a bigger threat than Charlie (Particularly since the latter got taken down a peg already.)