Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Erev posted:

I'm disappointed. The Thinkamancer thing seems rather pulled from the rear end.

The entire plotline seems that way lately. Worse than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

If this somehow ends up with the entire MK decrypted via some combination of Charlie's plans and Parson's panicked reaction to them, GK will have effectively swept the board. Portals to the main city of every kingdom, an entire loving army of casters from every discipline, including most of the best in the world, with zero upkeep, the draining of talent from every side who had casters there at the time and control of what used to be the safe haven for unaligned casters and the primary means of recruiting them.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

So, huh.

I kind of hope this information is, at most, an incomplete perspective. The notion that Fate is actually something people create is potentially an interesting angle, but the execution is kind of wonky. Especially when it's delivered in an internal monologue, meaning that despite being huge thematically, it doesn't really change anything for anyone else.

You'd think at some point in history someone would've tried linking a predictamancer with a changemancer, carnymancer (despite the ban) or something to see if it was even possible to change fate. Then again, this is a world where providing fresh mounts at waypoints to move commanders around was pretty much unheard of until Parson did it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Was there ever a stated reason for this hiatus? It's just been quiet for a couple weeks with no news.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Let's hope the new colorist is more subdued with shading.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

You'd think he'd double up on textdump pages to give the art crew less work if things are so busy he needs to skip regular updates.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I think it's funny that the great minds are all about not cheating and banning OP magic when their ability to link with other casters is probably the biggest, most overpowered cheat in the game.

His worldbuilding on the magic system is really half-baked. Of the types of magic we've seen, a lot of powerful ones are looked down upon and a lot of potentially harmful ones are respected. Why are dirtamancers treated like lower class casters when they can massively improve a side's infrastructure? Why would any side ever trust a turnamancer they didn't pop? Why aren't dateamancers in demand with rulers who frequently engage in diplomacy? Why aren't predictamancers disbanded the moment they spawn since they often predict their own side's doom and seem to be more loyal to their predictions than their sides?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hob_Gadling posted:

Two guesses:

- the scroll sent him to the literal same place as ruby red slippers sent Dorothy (because "home" might not even be a thing in Erf so the concept translates weirdly)

- there's no place like home, and the setting loves literal puns. Parson is in limbo somewhere, looking the board from above or something.

Third guess: It somehow sent him back to GK HQ.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, it's predictable as hell, but Erfworld was getting pretty close to Wheel Of Time levels of 'too many dangling plot threads that will never get resolved'.

It also doesn't help that Balder thinks every scene needs to be viewed from the perspective of nearly every character present. Better to just stick to the most relevant character and move on to the next plot beat before doing a scene that fleshes out another character.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

love too introduce a major plot point, keep it bubbling in the foreground for 2.5 years, build tons of drama and super high stakes as characters vie to bring it about, hinge major sections of the plot on it, then resolve it as a complete wet fart of nothing in like 3 pages

It was obvious it'd be one from the start. The only other option besides him getting sent back to Spacerock or back to Earth so he could have one of those character building "My real home is the fantasy world" scenes that have been done to death would be to have the scroll get destroyed somehow.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'm just glad they finally got on with a plotline they'd been building up.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I like how Erfworld's buttcoin debacle got even worse since the announcement. :allears:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

If this thread turns into another negativity festival, I'm just going to close it. One SFP thread is enough.

No, don't. I want to see what will become Erfworld thread's Clevin.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

He's already said it's divided between six people.

That doesn't change the fact that his solution is the dumbest option he could've gone for and he's managed to piss away some reader good will doing it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Looking like another missed update this week? I wouldn't mind so much if this comic were a bit better or moved at a faster pace.
e: Never mind, it was just way late today.

Inescapable Duck posted:

I recall an early comic has Parson mention that he's getting fitter over time and losing some fat rolls, just from far more regular physical activity than he's used to. Although heading down that many stairs would probably get anyone panting, he doesn't seem to need to stop. (although he has spent some time in a prison cell getting regularly tortured and subsisting on school lunch meals, so mighta backslid a bit. Assuming his body still functions relatively naturally, anyway)

I've never been able to track the overarching plot very well, especially when magic gets involved, but I do get some ideas; for one, given the Signamancy of all the awakened towers so far (old/exotic civilisations that contrast the city they're created in very heavily) that they may not be a new thing, but a reawakening of something very old and long forgotten. Especially how they make Charlie's communications monopoly (and Thinkamancers to some extent) redundant.

Yeah, he mentioned getting more fit in the interlude after chapter one.

The towers making Thinkamancy redundant isn't exactly true. Sure, their primary use to rulers as a means of expedient communication has been rendered redundant, but they still have a ton of other uses beyond communication and can still boost the power of other casters. As for the Barbarian casters, it's not like the Great Minds are engineering themselves out of a job with these upgrades, they know they're going to die anyway.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 7, 2018

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

So Parson's idea of a treaty was putting up 25 million in gems as collateral on a loan that vassalizes TV as a tributary state? Makes sense.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

XkyRauh posted:

It's Benjamin confronting a list of demands from Charlie. Ben tries to pick up vocabulary from HueHue. I probably missed something major, but I feel like nothing really happened, here.

Secondary character we're supposed to care about #528 has been listed as a BIG DEAL by an author infodump, as though the last few updates dedicated to her didn't hammer the point home enough.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Jillian continues to be the most boring plotline.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Zeno's Paradox in webcomic form. The closer it gets to the climactic finale it's been building to, the slower it goes.

Zoe posted:

This sums up my annoyance with what the comic has become amazingly well and my problems with settings that overuse worldbreaking asspull magic in general. I was pleased at having the logic of the setting laid out and so many rules established in the beginning but they've as good as all been thrown out now. Anyone circumventing or breaking one could've once been used for incredible dramatic effect and now it's just happening every other strip.

Parson no longer matters as a protagonist. Nobody else really does either with the way the POVs keep skipping around, it's not about giving us a glimpse of other views so much as putting equal weight on all of them at the expense of plot progress or any kind of focus.

Doesn't help that the concepts of magic aren't explained very well, if at all for some types and even the few types we've encountered still have lots of secrets that can be asspulled from.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Could probably have cut Caesar's half of the update entirely. At the very least cut 80% and intersperse the rest between the paragraphs of Jack's.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'd have let this interlude of "everyone gets a Temple" slide had it just been edited into a single update. We really didn't need two updates worth of :words: about some probably trivial side in order to get there, especially when we're all worn out from the slog of character bloat and plot creep.

I really hate Tondy a lot because she was a prime example of it. How many updates did we have getting to know a character who died and won't be important unless she gets decrypted, which will be so far from the time she died they might as well have saved most of her backstory for after she's decrypted.

ninjewtsu posted:

What is SFP

A miserable pile of Clevin.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.erfworld.com/blog/view/61963/state-of-the-erf-part-2 posted:

Hoo boy. Yeah, let's do this one first. Let the bummers continue.

Mine4Erf, the Ads, and the Crash of Crypto

We had ads on this website for many years. Often, they were terrible ads. Misbehaving ads. Ads that blasted audio in your browser, or made your phone go to some crappy app in the Google play store. But they were ads that paid the bills. At their peak, our ads were regularly bringing in $3500-$4500 a month. That was a $50,000 a year pillar of our business model, and it was the main way that I was paying our web team for all their hard work.

In February, we rolled out a system where a few readers with high-performance GPUs could mine cryptocurrency for Erfworld and replace that revenue stream, getting rid of ads for everybody. It worked well enough for a while that we removed the ads completely. At the time we did it, I wrote optimistically about the price of $ETH "recovering" back up to somewhere north of $900.

Yyyyyeah. Nearly every cryptocurrency has been, er, (how to delicately put this) plummeting like a dead osprey ever since. This past month, most coins have been in freefall. Right now, $ETH is flirting with $100. Rather than thousands of dollars a month, our trailing revenue from Mine4Erf for the past 30 days is something around...$118? Yeesh.

Obviously, we're going to have to do something about that. It's essentially asking the web team to take a gigantic pay cut just to keep those obnoxious ads off this site. John, Red, and Brendan wanted me to say that they all hate the ads, and you know how much I hate them.

So, yeah...we really can't stomach the idea of bringing ads back yet. For now, let's just note a $50,000 year hole that needs filling, and move on to the other gaping money sinkholes of 2018.

I'd feel bad if I hadn't scoffed at this from the start. Don't base your finances on buttcoins.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Another new side, presumably this long spiel is going to lead into them getting a Temple too.

Another point for the "Dateamancy being undervalued makes no sense" argument. Seems having one on retainer would be useful for sides that heavily emphasized beast taming and handling in their doctrine.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

What I really don't get is why Rob "Send it back four times because minor details are off" Balder would be okay with such mushy art.

Control freaks are actually really lazy when it comes to their own role in a project. When they drive everyone away their projects fall apart.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Even the official comments are getting sick of this poo poo.

Pawg From Produce posted:

Erfworld Facts: Jillian's sword is called Three-Edge because she fucks the handle. IPTSF 37

Not surprised I missed that, the prequel story was the most boring thing in the comic, probably still is.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

How is this comic still getting fanfic? How does anyone still have a positive enough outlook to write one?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Latest page looks like a rejected David Dees piece.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I see they're going for the "Everything you've been told up until now was a lie" school of Unreliable narration. This doesn't work when 1, we've been told barely anything about the world and 2, there was no reason beyond character rants to doubt the temples as anything but a complex outgrowth of linking magic disciplines to make a side's nerve center behave like a unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

"What if everything you believed was a lie?"

You're the one who told me everything I'm supposed to believe, so were you just wasting my time or what?