Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Also, he's aware that Parson is the single biggest threat to him and having failed to recruit him he's got Parson within range of his guns if he moves fast. So he's gambling that he can subvert Fate by machine-gunning Parson here and now.

You know, just like Lilith failed to do to Charlie himself because Wanda hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

McSpanky posted:

I just got caught up with the main story yesterday, working on the prequel book now. What a strange, fascinating premise executed with far more pathos than I was expecting.

Yeah, for all the cutesy art, it really is a pretty horrific war story the more you think about it. "Popped to die" indeed.

And kudos to Balder for taking the conceit to the logical extremes, particularly when a character is willing to work the game logic to his own benefit.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Lamhirh posted:

I enjoy Charlie's characterization in this new update, and how he's contrasted with Parson. Charlie isn't ruthless and evil with his subordinates, but he kind of dehumanizes them here, while Parson has always been concerned about his notions of morality regarding freedom and choice to an extent that puzzles native Erfworlders.

I guess the ironic twist to that is that Charlie is the one fighting for free will against Fate?

By which we mean: New Strip Text

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Ajon posted:

Has the concept of turns ever been clarified? What if a side never ends its turn?

It does seem like the kind of loophole that Parson loves abusing. Still, I suspect there's probably some underlying game mechanics that punish an endless turn even if they haven't made it explicit so far as i can recall.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

It is, its just from the wrong side. Bill loved her, or thought he did. Bunny went "Bad" to protect herself from his "love".

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Of course the odds are good that Jillian ain't going anywhere near Transylvito. She's probably taking a shot at Goblin Knob because she's pissed about Ansom showing up on her doorstep. because reacting emotionally and instinctively rather than with thought out tactics is pretty much Jillian's thing.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

By which we mean...New Page!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Wanda was taken out in early February of last year. For more than 11 months now one of the main characters of the comic-- the deuteragonist, really-- has been out of commission and awaiting her fate. There's slow pacing and then there's that.

Please. At least it ain't Order of the Stick. The Order's been fighting the same Frost Giants since August. By comparison, Erfworld's just rocketing through content!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Yeah, I'm pretty sure GK's gonna destroy/conquer the MK before all's said and done. Possibly sooner rather than later.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

he's gone through three art teams and the pace has always been glacial, he's just the George R R Martin of the webcomics world

i.e. He's constantly plugging lots of other artists' work, makes tons of time to go to cons, and is still coasting by on his popularity despite his recent books showing a steady decline in quality from their height. Also he's slow as poo poo.

Go read Order of the Stick or Necropolis to get Martin levels of slow. Erfworld can reliably get at least one update a week, that's lightning speed compared to some of his peers.

(Granted, both OotS and Necropolis are actually better works, but we're only talking speed here.)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Also, it's been pretty common for people to change their point of view after being De-Croaked. Ansom and his views on Royalism, for example. Pre-death Marie like as not wsn't so stark about it, but the new and improved Marie? She's a flat out murder machine terminatoring her way through the opposition to save Wanda.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Donkringel posted:

Poor Tondelayo. We are losing a lot of side characters with backstory. Duncan, Marie, Tondelayo. Basically the leiutenants of each side.

Yeah, but there's a good chance that Duncan and Tondeyalo are coming back DeCrypted anytime now.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Shirley....Temple. :doh:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

As the famous non-alcoholic drink, it's actually pretty apropos considering the effect Shirley's having on Charlie's Gardening habit, not to mention the damper she's putting on his notorious bad behavior.

It still pains me, though.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Bad puns are not the only reason why the Xanth books are awful.

ftfy

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Thread title's more appropriate than ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I should, but book 1 erfworld was so good, it kind of bugs me to know that balder is capable of that quality but not doing it

It makes one wonder how much of that first book as influenced by Jamie Noguchi mitigating Baldur's worst tendencies, ya know?