Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

nimby posted:

Here's hoping Charlie manages to break Fate and kill/incapacitate Parson, so the comic doesn't devolve into prophecies.

Or that Charlie bites it this strip, so parson is free to do whatever.

I'd have enjoyed if it had turned out that Charlie's fight against Fate was legitimately the Greater Good and Parson had decided to put past grudges aside and turn to his side for real.

Sadly that looks like it isn't going to be the case. Instead it seems Charlie conveniently forgot about the portal defence setup just long enough to move the plot ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

What *are* gems, anyway? We know that they can be mined, we know they can be converted to and from Schmuckers, and we know that they can be used to transfer cash from one side to the other (Charlie paid Slately with a big gem to finance Tramennis' heirship). Anything else?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Krilion posted:

He probably uses his own magic to twist the rules.

Also, archons can passthrough.

It's also possible that the same "hack" he applied to let bullets go through also enables Archons to pass. Which would mean Lilith is now stuck in the Magic Kingdom, unless she wants to return to Charlescomm.

I don't actually believe that is the case - it seems more likely to me that Archons are simply able to pass through all portals, and that Charlie kept it a secret in preparation for a future omni-decapitation strike. But it's definitely a possibility.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

A more important thing is that, were it not for Jack's baffle spell, Parson would have walked through the portal in Charlescomm livery.

Presumably the defending Archons would have noticed that and held their fire, at least long enough to notice the Warlord bonus they suddenly gained (which would have confirmed him as a legitimate CC unit).

I think the scene makes more sense if Charlie was simply not concerned about friendly fire, instead of him grossly misjudging the speed of his orders.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Kyte posted:

I don't think he misjudged the speed of his orders, I think he just couldn't do anything any faster. He was struggling just to make a basic claim.

But he still had near-instant communication with Parson, judging by how fast he sent the "I'll disband you rather than let you be croaked and Decrypted" response.

If he had been worried about the Archons shooting him as he stepped through the portal, he would have told Parson to wait in the MK for a few more seconds until he had confirmation that his order to stand down had been received.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Krilion posted:

Janis has been pretty good at predicting every last thing.

I think he'll be fine.

At some point Charlie's Carnymancy - or at least his ability to de-Fate individuals like Jillian - will have to be shown defeating Predictamancy, otherwise Janis Marie's presence will keep killing any narrative tension.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 5, 2016

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

Janis is the Hippiemancer, Marie is the Predictamancer.

I blame the previous administration.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Can't wait to see what kind of casters the Sean Beans are.

Also, this would be a really good time for Janis and the Hippiemancers to show up.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Man I can't wait for Jojo to get his comeuppance. He rubs me perhaps the wrongest way among all Erfworld characters.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Kyte posted:

Pretty sure it was mentioned Charlie can use the Dish directly, but it's not nearly as effective. It makes sense its function gets augmented with shockamancy, have you ever seen a satellite dish work without electricity?

And we're back to the question of what kind of magic would be needed to "power up" the Arkenhammer to the same level as the other two known 'tools.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Bell_ posted:

Most Erfworld battles end up being rival magicians in an arms race pulling bullshit out of their hats.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Also, Lilith died yet she's Fate-bubbled.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Charlie vs. Fate is a much bigger and more interesting conflict than Parson vs. Charlie.

Once we learn more about the nature of that conflict, and assuming that at that point Charlie will have been defeated by Parson, then every player on the board will need to decide if they stand for or against Fate.

I have very little idea who will be on each side of that fight: Wanda probably won't rebel against Fate a second time, while Jillian probably will, but everyone else might make up their mind either way.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Carrasco posted:

Charlie's portal has been messed with to let anything pass through.

That's Hypothesis A.

Hypothesis B is that Archons do count as Casters (whether naturally or through Carnymancy), and Charlie's simply kept that fact a secret. This scenario would have allowed him not only to invade the Magic Kingdom, but also to pull off a mass-decapitation strike on any number of capitals.

If Hypothesis B is true, then the non-caster Gobwin Knob units are toast unless the cavalry shows up - I expect Hippiemancers to be the best hope in that regard.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

On the one side, Erfworld doesn't exactly suffer from a dearth of either characters or plotlines, so it's probably for the best that we ended up in a known side's portal (even if it's more than a little contrived).

On the other side, drat I was really hoping we'd get to meet a new side :(

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Main site's still 502'ing at intervals. If it happens to you, you can get the new comic from the Facebook or Twitter pages.

Kyte posted:

This whole arc has been basically Charlie playing a desperate game of speed chess against Fate itself trying to screw him in every possible way.

Worth noting that Fate can reasonably claim self-defence here! :v:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Carrasco posted:

As for why it's giving such precise answers now, I think it's because the questions being asked are of past events, things that already happened. Parson used it to calculate coin flips, Benjamin is asking it whether a previously flipped coin was heads or tails. There's no ambiguity there.

The way Ben is using it now, the bracer has upgraded again from oracle to portable omniscience.

"Bracers, chances of an enemy stack currently being in the hex to the north? Zero? To the north-west? One? Ok, chances of it being led?... By a warlord of level 1? 2? 3? 4, ok, with full stack?... with flyers?..."

... and so forth. And that is just about the most trivial use you can imagine. Apply the bracer to more serious matters, and you get to effortlessly outplay Charlie.

It may not be an artifact but I'd take the bracer over the Arkenhammer any day, probably over the Arkendish too, and I'd at least consider it over the Arkenpliers.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Llab posted:

I bet there's at least half a dozen vampires hanging out above Vanna. I can't wait to see what the good Don has in store for her.

Actually, not all that much, it turns out.

Ok now, time out, I'm officially confused. Somebody please fill out this chart for me:

code:
Does X know that Y?         | Don | Vanna | Bunny | Charlie
-----------------------------------------------------------
That Charlie is watching    |     |       |       |        
That Bunny is watching      |     |       |       |        
That Don is lying           |     |       |       |        
That Vanna's cover is blown |     |       |       |        

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Weird complaints here. Why not just bookmark the "latest page" link, same as for pretty much every webcomic?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

For all artistic intents and purposes, that aftermath page with Charlie crying, Parson and Jack in prison and Sizemore as the new Chief Caster felt like a true book-ender.

I'm not sure why they didn't officially start Book 4 there and then, but I personally read the story as if they had.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Kyte posted:

Those burnt bits are making me irrationally uncomfortable.

They don't look like burns at all to me, before reading this thread I thought it had got hit by a hail of paver stones or something.

As for you, it might be trypophobia. Don't look it up.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

To lighten up the mood: the bats in the first illustration totally look like TruckNutz® :v:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Onmi posted:

I'm trying to be nice to Jillian

I see. And have you ever considered a less reckless and more fruitful hobby, like starting land wars in Asia?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Charlescomm signamancy from his tainting of the popping. Basically Pigpen with bats instead of dust.

Vanna doesn't have Charlescomm Signamancy herself since she's a freelancer, so I don't think she'll pass it on to the heir.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

To be fair we've had zero hints in the comic that Charlie has any plans to take Parson back by force or otherwise attack Transylvito. All that he has done so far has been aimed at performing a turning or maybe a kidnapping with Vanna's help; he may have figured out that her cover is blown after the dinner, but even if he has, his plan B is as yet unknown.

If the 61% figure is correct, that is both new and surprising information to us readers. And Caesar's guess would be mostly luck, since a lot of his reasoning comes from Parson's disinformation and from assuming that Vanna's target is Transylvito itself (rather than Parson).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Bruceski posted:

It goes off the bearer's knowledge, or their side's knowledge anyway. So it's saying "Jillian has been freezing out Vinnie, Jillian just left with a large attack force, Jillian's working for Charlie, who wants something we have, [various other fiddly bits], what are the odds she's attacking here?"

The agreement with Caesar is a demonstration of HIS strategic abilities, since his gut came to the same conclusion.

Yeah, if the bracer works like that, I definitely agree with your analysis.

Not sure the bracer does work like that, though. Ben was not 100% certain of Vanna's status as a Charlie agent, yet the bracer told him as much anyway.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

Man, I forgot just how bad that colorwork is at the start of Book 3. I remembered it being a little unimpressive, but drat, I'm pretty sure loving Goblins literally has better colorwork than that.

Colorwork? Please, what about all the pathos and draftsmanship that was put into this pivotal moment?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Agreed. Also, that paragraph all but outright states that Bunny's traumatic event happened at the same time and was closely linked to Ponzie's coup attempt. The actual event happened earlier, and Don was only tangentially involved.

I think a casting of "Retconmancy" would be quite warranted here, especially since it's a text update.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Did Rob confirm that he wrote "flexural"? Because it may kinda sorta make sense but it's still a really, really odd word to use.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Not a safe assumption, especially since the people making the hiring decisions probably don't know just how great Charlie's influence in that quarter really is.

Also the Digdoug story suggested that not all Carnymancers may directly work for Charlie, but all of them are aware of him and fear/respect him.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

nimby posted:

The guy who trapped the GK portal that Bonnie flew through, dodging the trap. The long-neck engineer guy.

No, that's Ivan Poe, a Dirtamancer.

The Dollamancer is Claud, the Beetlejuice-clothed dude that we met during the interlude where Charlie talked to various casters. He's Charlie's (somewhat disgruntled) agent in the Wanda trial.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

kwokkie posted:

Wasn't the alliance between Faq and Charlescomm unofficial? I think Faq is free to attack GK units with no penalties.

You are correct, but for a slightly different reason.

http://archives.erfworld.com/Book+3/30

Specifically, the contract was signed only by CC and GK, Jillian was unconscious at the time. FAQ has no magical obligations at all.

GK is bound not to attack FAQ, except for taking reasonable defensive action against FAQ aggression (it's anybody's guess what Signamancy would consider reasonable), and even in that case they still cannot hurt Jillian.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Do we have any idea why Caesar dislikes Skyy Appletini so much?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Onmi posted:

He doesn't, his relationship with Bunny is a secret.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Can you expand?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Bruceski posted:

http://archives.erfworld.com/Book%203/192
When the heroes explain their foolproof plan, it is bound to fail. I'm trying to figure out what the twist will be.

That Charlie had no intention of striking at Transylvito's capital, either directly or through Jillian (if he's gonna take down Parson by force, it will be in the field during his return to GK), and that he will reveal to Don the actual target of Jillian's expedition in order to convince him that they're on the same side.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

The current page confuses me. Why on Earth would Don even consider accepting Charlie's offer? If it was only Don's own life at stake I could see him prioritising an ASAP heir above everything else, but he's worried about a capital strike, not an assassination attempt. Should the City of Transylvito fall to gun-wielding fliers tomorrow, the heir's just as dead as he is.

And that's before we consider the far more generous offer from Gobwin Knob, or the danger of trusting Charlie not to pull any shenanigans during a link-up with Vanna - though I guess a Contract could allay those concerns. I'm really curious to see why Charlie thought this would be an effective bait. Perhaps he's just wrong, after all he seems to have completely whiffed with his initial cash offer (it didn't look much like an intentional lowball to me).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Hob_Gadling posted:

Charlie's offer probably goes something like this:

[spoiler]1) Turn Albert to Transylvito.

That's a good idea, and would explain how he could offer a prince in one turn instead of the seven he mentioned to Vanna. But Charlie specifically said "the one you're popping", so that can't be it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

kwokkie posted:

I'm guessing Parson not having the bracer in the next battle could result in a lot of deaths on TV's side, so the chance of any TV unit is a bit high when the bracers are not returned.

Eh, I doubt that's the reason. If Parson and Benjamin fight the battle together on the same side, Ben will relay to the bracer any question Parson wants to ask.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Who do you think could have stolen the Arkenpliers?

The only candidate I can think of is the toy soldier that Charlescomm recently acquired. We know he can enter portals, so maybe Charlie upgraded / equipped him in some way for the task? Stealing the 'pliers without a fight shouldn't have triggered the truce contract.

But narratively, it would be totally out of the blue (heh). It would make far more sense for Faq to be behind this, but I have no idea how they could pull it off. Can't think of any asset they have that could enable an infiltration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Sizemore, perhaps. Janis asked him to do something that would conflict with his duty: http://archives.erfworld.com/Book+3/207

:doh: forgot about that.