Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Phenotype posted:

Where did FAQ get guns from? Obvious answer is Charlie, but did we ever get a hint of it before?

Well there's your answer.

Of course, the new page is a much bigger mystery. It doesn't seem plausible that all is as it seems, I can't think of a way for Stanley and all his leadership to escape undetected. And Jed definitely isn't getting razed next turn. For that matter, Jillian should certainly have become aware of Jed the moment she took the city.

So either there's some massive illusion at work and Jillian hasn't taken the city at all, or Jed is somehow hiding itself and all its occupants from even Jillian's ruler senses (she seems to be sitting in the old throne room?), and something else will prevent Jillian from razing the city.

EDIT: Oh wait I'm dumb. Stanley and company are all at Spacerock, not Gobwin Knob. Never mind.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Galvanik posted:

What's Jillian's grudge against Stanley specifically? I stopped reading for years when the comic couldn't retain artists and it became a web story. Is it just because Ansom got killed and Decrypted?

He destroyed the original Faq. Presumably killing her father in the process.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Jillian doesn't know about Wanda's betrayal, I think.

And while she had a terrible relationship with her father, I never got the feeling that she'd have been happy to see him dead.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Readers have crunched some numbers and under some reasonable assumptions, Jillian isn't going to reach Gobwin Knob before the truce expires unless she leaves behind all but the fastest of her troops.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Today is the 10th anniversary of Erfworld, apparently. That was one heck of a way to celebrate it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Bobulus posted:

That would complicate things quite a bit. Resurrecting Bunny would probably be the fastest way to piss off the Thinkamancer council, considering in their eyes she's a repeat offender who just leaked state secrets to like three sides.

"Leave her be and in return, as ruler of Transylvito, I will order every witness to sign a NDA on what happened." Assuming Charlie isn't the only one who can write those NDAs.

e: "Also, when I eventually kill you all for what you did to my woman, I will do it quickly."

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

One really good point from the forums:

quote:

Regarding having Wanda decrypt Bunny... this is the worst case scenario.

Those decrypted by Wanda do not retain their love interests from before. Neither Jack nor Ansom are still in love with Jillian and both say the moment that changed for them was when they were decrypted. They love Wanda now. That love seems platonic... but still. It seems all decrypted love Wanda and only Wanda. I suspect this is a facet of Wanda's personality manifesting through the pliers. An unspoken but desperate need in Wanda, perhaps.

If Bunny is decrypted her love for Caeser will not come back with her... and Caeser will find himself in love with a woman who can't love him back. This would be utter torment for Caesar. As much as Caesar might say he wants her back what he would actually get back, in at least this one way, won't be Bunny. If he is in enough pain as a result he might feel betrayed or manipulated by his new allies.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Is this the first mention of the Rhyme-o-mancer since the battle in Portal Park? I thought he'd been dusted with the rest of the Beans.

No, we've seen that Boromir survived.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

It took a lot of pressure for Ossomer to turn, and he was Decrypted literally in the middle of a life-and-death battle for his family and side, and immediately commanded to join the efforts to croak his own father and obliterate his side.

It should take similarly dramatic circumstances for another Decrypted to turn. Like, if somehow Bunny ended up being commanded to fight against Caesar, I could see her turning. I'm not seeing anything remotely similar for Janice or Marie.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I feel like Albert's interest in turning to Transylvito might take a plunge after getting played like this.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

We know from Book 0 that when a Ruler is croaked, even a Royal caster doesn't get any particular clue about how it happened.

Unless Maggie offered her help (which I highly doubt, as Vinny would almost certainly have mentioned it in this update), then everything Vinny knows must come from hat messages sent by Caesar himself.

Then again, Vinny definitely seemed to have respect for Caesar, so if the latter told him the truth (as far as he himself understands it) I think Vinny would have trusted him. Again, if Vinny felt at all uneasy about working for Caesar I think that would have come up in this update too.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I hope Rob prefaces the next update with a hastily-scribbled END OF BOOK 3 / HERE STARTS BOOK 4 ALRIGHT just so y'all will stop whining that the story is "dragging" because of an arbitrary editorial marker.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

Caesar can order her not to speak and someone should just be sitting outside Bill's cell giving him a judging glare 24/7.

If the forums are correct, he did order her not to speak, but she dodged the order by writing in the same way that Parson did waaaaay back when he was given the same order by Stanley.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Is the Karnak guy Decrypted as well or is that just his natural colour scheme?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

It seems the best/worst thing Charlie could do now is Thinkagramming Caesar and revealing Jillian's conquest of GKC. Assuming he can convince him he's not lying, I'm really not sure how Caesar would react.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Also, as far as we've seen, regular Erfworlders don't understand Signamancy beyond very broad strokes.

They can get a vague sense of good / healthy vs. bad / unhealthy Signamancy, but only Stupidworlders (and, presumably, Signamancers) can recognise that e.g. a dude looks like Nixon so he shouldn't be trusted.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Has it ever been explained how turns work in the Magic Kingdom? Is it one big turn for everybody, effectively realtime, or do casters belonging to a side still take turns separately from the barbarian majority?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

nimby posted:

Let's watch Roger trying to think-assassinate Parson, only for Jed to step in as the ultimate mindguard.

The remote string cutting requires a high-State merge of the Minds. A lone Thinkamancer needs to touch their target to kill them.

Either Jojo or Charlie will try to carny-break that rule for Roger (doubtful even if it were possible, as he would have to reveal to them one of the biggest Thinkamancy secrets), or he's simply calling Parson to set up the assassination attempt.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

That's an excellent reason why he won't kill Wanda, but I think he can safely off Rosenbratz and Guilderstone at this point. Ten millions should be an acceptable price for silencing them forever (as witnesses) and dusting them (as evidence), and it doesn't seem to me that they have much plot armour left for themselves.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Given that Ossomer turned to a different side on his own without any consequences, I don't think all the Decrypted would automatically become Charlescomm units if Wanda turned.

I think they'd still have to turn normally, and while most of them would follow Wanda, some may well refuse (Jack, Marie, the Decrypted Archons), and others might not be given the chance (Parson could get Stanley to disband them before Charlie could contact them).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Bobulus posted:

Pretty sure the idea isn't "Wanda turns, all the decrypted turn". It's "Wanda voluntarily weak-punches archons until she's accrued enough penalties that every city, unit, and resource has to be given to Charlescomm to pay for it".

Of course :doh:

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

so, i wonder if the charlieskull crest at the bottom of the new one means that she took the offer? generally when he ends his text updates with a picture, it's not illustrating what's happening in the update, it's what happened immediately after. so maybe. on the other hand, we did get to see parson in charlescomm raiment, and we haven't seen wanda in it, so who knows? in any case, i can see her turning and then, at some point, turning back.

There's been at least a few times where the closing image depicted something that could have happened, but didn't. Off the top of my head - Parson wearing an armoured suit to the MK battle, Transylvito being attacked by Archons and defending through GK-turned bats.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Just remembered that the Pliers are in Spacerock, so if Wanda turned now she'd have to steal them somehow.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Also people like Queen Bea would occasionally use their portal as a painless suicide device, so the Great Minds would have had to keep watch 24/7 for non-Caster visitors.

Also why wouldn't they have killed Charlie's archons when they went through their portal during the Battle of the MK? We even had an update from the linked Great Minds' perspective during the Battle in the MK, it would be difficult to justify why they wouldn't even mention such a practice.

I actually think it's a very cool idea, but it would clash with too many past updates.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Were there any previous references to Bonnie and Tondelayo's (mutual?) antipathy?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

JuniperCake posted:

Looks like Charlie was the one who ended up overplaying his hand. He could have won it all here if he had just left the thinkamancers alone.

Unlikely, as the Great Minds would probably have interfered as well. Their ultimate purpose may have been nebulous, but having Charlie win the war clearly wasn't it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Question: why didn't Deiform cut Charlie's string directly? Potential answers:

1) He can follow magical links at any range, but he still has a limited range for cutting strings

2) He didn't cut their grandiocosmic strings (the ones that every Erfworlder has), rather he cut their connection to the Arkendish, and they dropped dead nonetheless. This would strongly suggest that yes, killing Wanda would destroy all the Decrypted.

3) He can't or won't actually kill Charlie for reasons of his own (maybe he knows Parson is Fated to do so and doesn't want to go up against that particular Luck-golem?)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

quote:

Also doesn't this invalidate Marie's current gambit? I suppose she might turn alone, but Wanda would lack motivation at this point, and the time factor is gone.

On the other side:

TheDemon posted:

Wanda is going to be even more insufferable about Fate after this.

If Marie convinces Wanda that she is indeed Fated to return to Faq, this is a very good moment to tell her "darling, come along quietly and to do whatever I Fate says, it's for your own good"

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

She made many choices in Book 0, some of which may even have been correct.

More recently...? I guess trying to murder Janice was a smart decision, even if it didn't work. Preventing Lilith from trying to kill Charlie, knowing that Fate would have stopped her?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Onmi posted:

The other way to look at it is that Stanley isn't anywhere near as controlling as Charlie is. Stanley has put his foot down (Telling her not to decrypt a still living Jack because he happened to like him) mostly because of their different grand strategies.

Oh dear, I just realized - in hindsight, the reason she suggested croaking & decrypting Jack wasn't (mostly!) because she's cruel, ruthless and evil, but because she saw an opportunity to free him from the Deal of a Lifetime and have him brief Parson. She just couldn't explain her true reason to Stanley and hoped he'd be uncaring enough to allow it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

So we finally found out the plan Parson had been hinting at since quite a few updates ago (since he went "I need to talk about Moneymancy" to Ben), and it's... not much, really. In fact, it looks pretty drat stupid.

First we know the contract can take gems in payment nstead of shmuckers.

Second, even if it couldn't, it would start taking 5M worth cities or units instead.

Either there's a second part to this plan I'm missing (Moneymancy adding clauses to an already-signed contract? That would be super OP...) or something's not right.

Nevermind, I missed one part. The 5M figure is a maximum, not a minimum. With the treasury down, the penalty (for GK) changes to a minimum of 500K, so they can deal 10 hits for every one that CC does. Man, it's a good thing this comic has a comprehensive wiki, that detail really needed a reminder IMO.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 17, 2017

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Claude's speech makes it sound like Rob is well aware of the direction Erfword's story has taken.

Also, last page Wanda threatened him with "or I will return you to naught". Somehow I'd always missed that particular pun in the name of her magical category ("Naughty-mancy" = wicked, forbidden magic, but also "Naught-mancy" = the magic of nothingness, of not-being).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

For all artistic intents and purposes, that aftermath page with Charlie crying, Parson and Jack in prison and Sizemore as the new Chief Caster felt like a true book-ender.

I'm not sure why they didn't officially start Book 4 there and then, but I personally read the story as if they had.

:)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

And Order of the Stick has recently started updating regularly again, for the first time in years.

Just asking, but has anybody ever seen Rich and Rob in the same room together? :tinfoil:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Is it a generic fertility goddess? The tower has Easter Island features, which may hint at a connection with Jed.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

jng2058 posted:

Shirley....Temple. :doh:

Daaaaamn.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I don't care if he updates once a month. I'll enjoy whatever comes out, whenever comes out. And I'm not paying him a cent, either.

But there are apparently plenty of people who do give him several cents, and who do care about reading new updates as soon as possible. The idea that he can't take four seconds to tweet "No update today" at them is preposterous, lackadaisical, discourteous, and several other multisyllabic words.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Onmi posted:

I mean I think people are looking at it too abstract. The Big Thinks main problem is that people cheat and gain unfair advantages. So give everyone the same advantage, add watchmen to Erfworld to enforce the rules, to stop their sides from cheating.

If this were the case, it would be a neat in-universe reflection of what many readers were starting to think.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

reignonyourparade posted:

It was pretty clear that scroll was never going to work as intended, last time he tried to use it fate dropped a flaming crossbeam on him.

Now that you remind of me of that scene, it actually looks out of place now. If the scroll was only going to take him back to GK's capital, why would Fate have bothered to dissuade him from casting it (through the bracer's false numbers and the falling beam)? He was definitely already thinking of Erfworld as home by that point.

(I guess without Jed in place the fall would have croaked him, but that seems like an incredibly lame justification.)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Kyte posted:

I find it interesting they straight up call it mana, a classic fantasy term, rather than the more familiar juice. Fits with how Shirley's knowledge seems to be rooted on Earth rather than Erf, and the general use of earthen cultural cues. Makes me wonder about the underpinnings of Erfworld (and the roots of signamancy)

Jed uses it because it's a Polynesian word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

It's not impossible and it would make sense that the insta-heir was part of the reward for getting Parson.

That said, the illustration definitely shows a Tower awakening. Those statues have clear moai traits.