Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ditocoaf posted:

I've lost track of what contracts are enforcing what. Who in this room would make their side pay a fine for attacking Bill? I remember the payment scales weirdly which is why GK has all their money stashed in gems at TV

The fine for the GK-Charlie contract was capped to a fraction of the offending side's treasury, so if GK units attacked Bill and his dolls right now they'd pay very little, while it would cost Bill a lot to fight back.

I don't think we know of any restrictions on GK-TV fighting due to Don King's off-screen contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

He's already said it's divided between six people.

1) Writer (Rob)
2) Penciler
3) Inker
4) Webmaster

Who are #5 and #6?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

The star feature of the contract in the newest page is almost certainly the precedence clause.

Precedence between contracts really feels like something that should be governed by a fundamental rule of Signamancy. It seems super OP that you can freely take a contract with a friendly third party that intentionally supercedes (and effectively nullifies) the contract you're about to sign with a hostile third party, with the latter being none the wiser.

The comic has been saying that Shirley's sloppiness is what will enable TV to cheat, but we've seen Charlie's contracts before and I don't think any of them had a clause preventing this particular kind of trickery - and besides, I'm not sure it would be possible, as anything you write could be explicitly superceded by an ad-hoc contract between friends.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, you can do real contracts that work that way. You can mortgage property twice, and the first mortgage takes precedence over the second.

It isn't really that different from Parson's plan to give all the money away before Charlie could get it.

With the critical difference that the entity that grants you the second mortgage is aware of the first one, and of the pre-existing obligations it carries. It knows the risk, and can refuse or set a higher interest, etc.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I think it's a fakeout. The text doesn't say that Caesar actually touched the portal yet, leaving the possibility of Huehue interfering. And the bottom image often depicts something that could happen, but doesn't.

If Caesar had just successfully suicided, Skyy and Benjamin would both be frozen neutral and could be rescued somehow, but Vinny would have just disbanded, and I don't think that's in the cards for him right now.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

While the Erfworld forums are still full of die-hard fans going "Whoah - amazing twist!!", I found out that there's an Erfworld thread on the OotS forums and they make this thread look like a friendly source of optimistic feedback:

quote:

Did Rob just pick a random page to slap "End of Book 4" on? We're in an epilogue, and he's just quickly resolving all the Book 4 cliffhangers with deus ex machinas? If it wasn't obvious already he clearly only cares about dragging the story for as many updates as he can get his fans to stick around and pay for, and the books are an afterthought so he can get some bonus money for selling those.

quote:

So now sides can literally just choose to not end when they're defeated. The rules don't matter at all anymore and every single bit of worldbuilding we've ever gotten is worthless. What a great comic. Just fantastic writing.

A kindergartener could churn out a better story than this slop. You can't just ret-con every single rule in the setting that turns out to be inconvenient because you couldn't plan your story out ahead. It's really sad that Erfworld has changed from an interesting setting with clever characters to quite possibly the most poorly written deus ex machina filled piece of garbage I've ever read.

quote:

I am amused on a meta level that Balder's inability to refrain from pulling giant twists that uphold the entire world by rendering irrelevant everything we've been painstakingly exposited about previously, has caused this book's epilogue to entirely undermine this book's climax.

What I'm saying is that this page makes a better climactic cliff-hanger for the story than the one where Caesar was running to the portal to suicide. But within a couple of text updates it's going to be entirely negated and made irrelevant by some other Charlie counter-contingency plan, and then a couple text updates later will undermine that, and so on.

Erfworld has become as narratively satisfying as looking at two kids playing cops and robbers, except these kids are extremely wordy about it.

"I shoot you! My medieval knight had a gun all along! Also strings strings strings."
"Nuh-uh, my woodland outlaw is wearing a bullet-proof vest so your gun don't work. And besides signs signs signs."
My bullets are explosive and incendiary and they have laser guns to melt your armor. Strings strings signs signs!"
"My skin is made of mirror so your bullets' lasers are reflected back at themselves and they explode right in your gun, killing you. Strings signs strings signs."
And so on and so on.

What I'm saying is that Axe Cop had a better, more engaging, and better thought-out plot.

Just sharing in case anyone else was wondering "is it just that goons are too jaded to enjoy the story, or is this comic actually broken beyond hope?"

The OotS forums are basically the Great Satan according to goons, so if both kind of nerds agree on this it's a pretty strong clue.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

god I remember when the mere presence of Jillian was the worst thing in this comic. more innocent times. she’s still the worst character by a country mile, but not the worst problem.

Prediction: Skyy Appletini will quickly outstay her welcome and steal Jillian's belt in that particular competition. She's been kinda fun so far, but it gave me a really bad feeling to see Balder go all "isn't she so cool, heh? Do you agree she's super cool and badass yet? Should I make even more characters fawn all over her for no reason until you agree she's cool and badass?"

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Most shocking news for me was that Balder is nearly 50. I'd assumed he was close to Parson's age.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

reignonyourparade posted:

The forecastle epilogue is 1600 turns later, yeah, which is a decent chunk of time in erfworld. So that's a floor on how long ago forecastle happened, it could be even longer.

Four years and a few months. Not that long ago at all, even in a world where people are born fully grown.

However, we don't know how large Erfworld is, do we? Forecastle could have been set in the equivalent of Gobwin Knob's antipodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Onmi posted:

Welp. That's a pity. apparently there's an audio recording where he's spilt the exact beans but no one is releasing it because it's too personal.

Some comments from superfans who've heard the audio:

quote:

I just listened to the audio recording explaining the situation and want to respect Rob's wishes and privacy but also want to clear a couple things up.

It has absolutely nothing to do with issues with artists, criticism, or the comic in general.

It has to do with absolutely 100% with super hosed up things that nobody should have to deal with happening in their personal life that I'm not going to go into detail about because Rob can do that if he wants to post publicly.

I'm shaken just having listened to it and I have no idea how ANYTHING has gotten produced in the time this thing has been going on and now that horrible thing #3 has happened, it's hard to see how anyone can function having gone through what Rob and Linda are going through.

quote:

I’ve listened part of the audio message. I’m unsure on what can or even should be shared given the personal nature of this information.

The most I’m willing to say is that no, it’s not due to Linda’s health, and no, Erfworld is not in legal trouble.

quote:

No. It's orders of magnitude worse than a stalker. However, he's asked people not to share what he's said privately. That said, rest assured that it is every bit bad enough to make it impossible for him to continue work right now.