Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Anyone else notice that Parson's fateshield from this comic seems to now be missing? I wonder if that was an oversight by the artists, or something that was meant to have happened?

Also interesting to note: only Maggie and Lillith (besides Parson and Wanda) have fateshields. Marie definitely didn't, and neither did Jack.

The other thing that can happen (besides Hippiemancers coming in and pacifying everything) is that the Thinkamancers (who are firmly behind Parson) show up and try to calm things down.

But ... fate seems to have been conspiring to send Parson in to Charlescomm on a crazy hero-mission to take down Charlie. Parson diving through the portal to get away (and ending up then going after Charlie) seems like a fairly likely next step to me.

Of course, this is also Bob Alder, and I still remember the several dozen twists and turns (each following the weekly cliffhanger) in the Duke Forecastle story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

But fate magic ...

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Caidin posted:

I may have been misinterpreting that last bit with the all state judge but aren't the great minds about to pull some bullshit anyway? Long term relations with them may not be a priority before long.

Yeah the last we saw of them they were talking about "tying up loose ends", including potentially killing Parson.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

nimby posted:

New side-plot time! Hope they find that wrench soon, cause this book keeps dragging on and on and ooonnnnnnn....

Nah, I think they'll just pop up later. Or be condemned to an eternity underground.

Much more importantly (and the whole point of this update): who took all the guns? Was it Charlescomm or the Thinkamancers? And which would be worse?

Zoe posted:

This was kind of disappointing, it seemed like Vinny was setting up for a :master: last update, and everything just fell flat in this one. It even skipped the initial oh poo poo moment and realization from Albert.

What would that update consist of, though? Right now it's just Vinny capturing Faq, which after taking out the towers seems like it'll be pretty boring. The last one said pretty much all it had to about that situation.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

I don't even read ErfWorld any more, but the blog update showed up in my "recommended" feed, so I gave it a look. I feel really bad because the well-being of Rob's wife is hanging in the balance here, dependant on him somehow figuring out how to be less of a cock-up. If it weren't for that, this whole debacle would be the most fascinating and hilarious well-digging in the history of webcomics.

It bears remembering that his wife has metastatic cancer. While they've won the experimental treatment roulette and have something working for now, the reality is that very few people come back from that, even with all the new therapies coming out.

Which is to say, the most likely trajectory for the next few years is for Rob and his wife to be going through the roller coaster ride of her dying slowly of a horrible disease.

I mean, I hope for their sake that she pulls through and is cured, and wish them well. But Rob is not, nor will he be, in a good state to write the comic or make rational business decisions, and I think we need to temper our expectations for the foreseeable future.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I thought the metastatic cancer diagnosis turned out to be completely wrong?

As near as I can tell, it was more the diagnosis of the type of cancer that was wrong, such that Linda was getting the wrong kind of chemotherapy. She does talk about "tumors" plural, so it's still metastatic.

I've done a bit of reading on what Rob says she has (neuroendocrine carcinoma), and the treatment which sounds like the one she's getting (Avelumab) only works at all in about 30% of patients, and is curative in an even smaller fraction. From what Linda's posted, she's only getting a partial response at best -- the tumors might be shrinking, and at least they don't seem to be spreading further. But this is an experimental treatment and it doesn't seem like there's good long-term follow-up data. In a lot of cases with therapies like that, the cancer eventually develops resistance after months or years.

I mean, keep holding onto hope for them -- cancer prognosis is never 100% certain -- but be prepared for the worst.

bigpolar posted:

This comes across like Rob's dose of reality alt account.

I work in cancer research :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Lol this last update.

Clown mines.