Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is it actually said anywhere that parson is fated to kill charlie, or is that just presumed to be why charlie wants parson gone so bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

But ha, ha, they sent Roger, who only pretends to have master-class Lookamancy and is actually a novice. Of course he didn't spot anything.

lmao that's a great detail

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What's going on with vinny right now? It's been a long time since we checked up with him. Was the bat takeover of faq last turn or this turn?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i can't believe the next book is gonna start and we're still gonna be on this one turn

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think my big issue with book 3 is mostly that there's not really one "big event" that everything is centered around. in book 1, everything took place in gobwin knob/the surrounding area. in book 2, it was jetstone's capital. any perspective shifts were contained to still covering the same event, so things pretty much always kept moving, and the cast of relevant characters getting perspectives was a bit more focused as well

right now there's what, magic kingdom turmoil? ok, so we have a central conflict around wanda's execution and a lot of focus on the mages surrounding that, sounds cool. but also: there's a ton of drama happening in transylvito at the same time. ok, so we have all the transylvito characters commenting on an entirely independent "big event." but on top of that, lets also occasionally check in on parson and stanley and sizemore at home, who are doing, uh, hm. i don't really remember. but it felt really unimportant until these last couple pages.

so we're getting a story that's essentially triple length, because it's 3 stories in parallel. but we're not really getting them in chunks either, it's small bits before shifitng to another story, so it's difficult to even remember/care about what was going on in a given plot thread when we come back around to it, whatever we learn won't actually be relevant until after we've gone back through every other plot thread too.

i think either magic kingdom or transylvito would've been a pretty good story. hell, even one of those + miscellanious third plotthread (stanley at home/charlie's headquarters escape/vinny's faq invasion/whatever the gently caress else) would've been fine. but all at once is just too bloated, and destroys the pacing that was already a little slow to begin with.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

like that's honestly the biggest difference between the pacing in book 1/2 and 3/4 as far as i can tell. in book 2 the cast got expanded with the various princes of jetstone so we'd frequently see their perspective on events, and of course we'd see the various important gobwin knob fellows like jack and maggie and ansom and wanda, and we'd even get occasional asides for pricne sammy or jillian, but we never got perspectives into, say, vinny or caesar, because they weren't relevant. well, now in book 3/4, we have the expanded cast of the magic kingdom, plus the expanded cast of transylvito, plus a decent focus on characters who are only tertiarly related to those events (jillian, vinny, parson lol, stanely, sizemore, etc). like, if this story was only one of these plot threads, i don't think the rate of perspective shifts would be an issue at all. each new one is generally interesting and generally moves SOMETHING forward. but the attention is otherwise so split up that it's a huge loving pain that the rate of perspective shifts wasn't changed to accommodate the massively increased scope.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Phenotype posted:

You know what would have been a better idea? Just not going into all this detail about how heirs were important and expensive and took forever to pop and how a side would disappear without one, and then you just give the rulership to Skye as Caesar dies without needing another unpredictable magical rear end-pull.

Eh, this was a central part of prince trammenis' drama and pathos in book 2, and that was my favorite part of the comic

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the worst part of what happened to caesar is that "spends whole life struggling to enough for TV, spends whole comic being unjustly told that he doesn't have what it takes to be TV's heir, then when he finally becomes the ruler it turns out that he actually doesn't have what it takes" is an interesting turn of events for him. however, rather than have any real struggle with the fact that he's not actually fit to be ruler, he just kinda stops being a person. then, rather than have to work out some kind of reconciliation for not being what he thought he was, he commits suicide-by-door. this was a neat arc with a potentially interesting conclusion, but instead he just got fast tracked into death asap, and then didn't even succeed at ending TV. pretty lame way to see the character go to be honest.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

things get kinda weird when people start saying that they're hatewatching but like only one person said that so i think that might've been a bit premature yeah

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What is SFP

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The occasional "this is the life of a random stabber" page was pretty cool in book 2

It now feels like a majority of pages are like that

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

But at this point in the telling, there's a hitch. At this turn in the series, Erfworld becomes extremely demanding on the illustrators. Minor spoilers below, but if you are caught up with updates, you should probably read on.

Here's what's about to happen. We are going to take a long pause from following Parson and the other main characters. ("Long" means around 12 to 20 updates.) Also, the rate of updates is going to be significantly slower than usual.

Yikes, I hear you say, why is that?

Well, it should not necessarily be a "yikes" moment. But it is necessarily...necessary.

Erfworld is a world. It is a great big fictional place, with an estimated 200 capital sides. Part of the problem with confining most of the main narrative to Gobwin Knob, Jetstone, Transylvito, Charlescomm, Faq, and a few surrounding sides so far is that it can leave a reader with the sense that "The Great Western Conflict" is the only part of the Erfworld where important events ever happen.

With the awakening/creation of the Tutelaries, we are now about to experience politics on a worldwide scale. A lot of new settings, sides, and characters need to be introduced in a hurry, because what distant actors say and do is about to matter to our mains. So I would like a chance to breeze through and have you meet the bulk of those new faces and places all at once, as a prelude to Book 5.

These updates will be like the "Generica" ones, just brief vignettes about the awakening of a particular Temple. With permission, I'm even using some of these updates to canonize some of our Kickstarter backers who are still owed a "character sheet" reward, as a way of getting caught up on some of our deliquent promises from projects past. The preludes should be pretty light and entertaining. The story has gotten a little grim lately, so it's a good time to have some fun with it again. I think you'll like this stretch.

sigh

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah is there actually a mythical ad provider who doesn't serve lovely ads? it seems pretty endemic to every site with ads that i've ever seen

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Is that true? I don't do a ton of actual Chrome browsing on my phone, but I don't usually have invasive ads unless I'm going to some weirdo site (or dailymotion, for some reason.) I guess my ad-blocker prevents me from noticing this stuff on PC?

i mean i recall this very website that you're posting on having issues with lovely ads several times

any time i turn my adblocker off on any site i just get barraged by bullshit

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if he's going to expand the cast by introducing a bunch of other sides, the least he could do is use characters from jetstone or the magic kingdom or something to introduce them. have trammenis be conducting diplomacy with some sides when their towers suddenly pop up or something. at the very least, attach whatever's going on to a tertiary character that's already been developed. 6 months before we see a character we've even heard of before is a bit much

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

what's the average lifespan in erfworld? i thought 1000 turns was around the lifespan of a non-caster/ruler who wasn't immediately thrown into the frontlines (how long did those garrison archers live?). "a lifetime and a half" isn't too bad for the progression of knowledge, i guess

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah, theoretically there's no dying of old age, but realistically that's extremely rare, even for rulers. what's the actual life expectancy of your average erfworld denizen?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I meant that what would you actually call the "life expectancy" of a unit to be, given that they technically can live forever but generally live for a very small amount of time. Or, more to the point: "5ish years" isn't very long for us and how long it takes for tech to develop, but on erfworld that's a ton of lives going from birth to death. Or, to make the point better:

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, you also have to consider that 1600 turns can potentially mean "the rise and fall of five civilizations". What does that even do to continuity of history?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

One thing that I liked about early erfworld, was that you had this little one off bit where parson gets drunk and goes out and explored how falling mechanics work, and how they interact with fly mounts and also him being a heavy unit. This was a little adventure entirely consisting of characters we already knew, and the information gained later proved relevant, as a major part of parson's opening attack on Jetson capital. This little side diversion was neat and somewhat relevant in its own right, and also later the main story tied back into it in an interesting way.

Now 20 different sides are being introduced with little stories about characters we've never seen before, and I don't know what would be worse: that all this new information is relevant to the upcoming story and the whole thing is going to be a convoluted mess concerning 300 individual actors, or if none of it is relevant and the whole prologue is just entirely skippable and a waste of time.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

aegof posted:

Current updates are about the world that came before Erfworld, Uffworld, and how it proves Erfworld sucks. This is supposed to convince the awakened tower of a hidden side that war is dumb.

None of this has been directly tied to Gobwin Knob or any of the story's "major" characters, but might maybe someday be related to how Parson ends all war everywhere eventually.

I was thinking about maybe checking out the book 5 stuff but this has pretty well killed any enthusiasm I might've had for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm probably more tolerant of "stuff not related to any main characters" than most posters in this thread but 35 pages of that does not sound good

"Its also telling the story of the world before erfworld" however, is what really makes me recoil from the idea of reading more. That kind of stuff just being info dumped through unrelated characters no one cares about (especially since it sounds kind of dumb) is a real bummer