Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It was almost certainly Sizemore.

Janis got him to do something that would be against his Duty, but would ultimately be for the good. The main thing we know Janis currently wants is for Marie to be Decrypted. For Marie to be Decrypted, Marie's corpse, Wanda, and the Arkenpliers have to be together in the same hex before Marie decays. Janis is about to cast a spell that will set Wanda free and leave her ready to do the Decryption.

Thus, Sizemore has stolen the Arkenpliers and taken them to the Magic Kingdom to give to Wanda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Why does that conflict with his duty, though? It doesn't seem like a terrible idea to reunite Wanda with the Arkenpliers as soon as she's repatriated. There might be some argument about keeping them safe, but it seems like it would be easier and safer to just present that as a necessary facet of the jailbreak.

Best guess: Janis suspected, and the Predictamancers may have confirmed, that Stanley wouldn't want the Arkenpliers going into the Magic Kingdom where they might get lost, given that he doesn't have a reason to care about Marie except in terms of "risk superweapon to maybe get a Predictamancer."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Erfworld's update schedule has been pretty solid under the new team, although I still have no idea how they plan to make this work in print.

Anyway, it seems like a fairly good-natured joke, so I don't think it has to justify itself that hard. (Although it would be pretty funny if OotS finds a way to fit in a "how much time do you need to walk through a door" joke when they get to the last gate.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think the main potential snag is the default of a city of Charlie's choice if GK spills the details of the contract to anybody.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

-Yet another branching storyline that's going nowhere

It seems like it's pretty clearly building to "Stanley is being hunted by Jillian without having Parson or any of his best units available."

quote:

-Less wargaming, more ~interpersonal drama~ (between characters you could not pay me to care about)

The story has always been about how interpersonal drama beats careful strategy.

quote:

-Wildly inconsistent (is GK the toughest defensive position in the world or can it be easily taken by an invasion from a tiny side?)

It's very tough unless all the leadership leaves and there's nobody to fire off the defenses or command the infantry.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

Well, either we'll get a cutaway of two stabbers having an affair on the 3rd-northmost tower of Jetstone when they're supposed to be on watch or something significant will happen on Tuesday. I'm still hoping for Caesar coups Don, Vinny and Albert sieze Faq, and Jillian is a Barbarian again.

Then Parson seizes Transylvito, thus completing the game of musical chairs.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, that conversation went right where I was expecting.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

My Predictamancy for the day is that Wanda winds up claiming an ever-escalating avalanche of casters and breaks out of the Magic Kingdom, so that Gobwin Knob (if the side's name isn't now I'm Coming For You Stanley) opens Book 4 with an ungodly gaggle of overpowered personalities, a rather large upkeep bill, and not much chance of getting more because they've got Charlie on one side and the Magic Kingdom on the other.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Rygar201 posted:

If she kills and decrypts a lot of casters their upkeep will be zero...

Good point!

So it will just be a huge ball of eccentric wizards who are now a crazy person's mind-slaves wandering around the side.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think it's more like...

You know how Thinkamancers have this huge rainbow of secret abilities and agendas that they keep from their Side? I'm pretty sure every discipline is like that.

So, imagine having fifty guys like that on your team, and they're all wizards whose abilities you don't understand very well.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

khy posted:

What about that 'ultimate peace spell' which would allow Wanda to walk out of the dungeon? Is that still a plan? I thought Janis was in on it, perhaps I'm wrong?

That was the plan and Janis was in on it, but the Thinkamancers have turned on them, which we now know Marie predicted in advance, so Janis is making her own arrangements.

quote:

She doesn't even question whether or not the Decrypted would die if Wanda does. So does she know Wanda won't die and is acting because of surveillance? Does she know that the Decrypted won't die? Is she acting on faith alone? Why is she doing all this for Marie, is she in love with Marie or is there something else? Is Marie necessary for the ultimate peace spell?

I think she's just hoping for the best, because Decrypted Marie might survive Wanda's execution, but dead Marie certainly won't.

As far as I know Marie is just Janis' very dear friend.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Zoe posted:

Betsy did the psychic equivalent of opening a machine panel and just ripping out fistfuls of wires. Pretty sure the jester Charlie killed was massively significant as well. From all signs, decrypted Jillian would wind up right back in love with Wanda, but if she could manage to reject her, decrypting is 100% a good thing if it would undo the previous mental damage done.

At least some of the damage must be fixed, given that Jillian's personality is reasonably similar to what it was like before Betsy whammied her, and doesn't really bear any resemblance to any of the things Betsy wanted to try to do.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I actually really like all the text updates. Erfworld is really strong on characterization and I have fun seeing what they do about that, and going into depth about topics like the various caster specializations.

I should probably start dropping them a dollar a month or something.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Except that what's going on in Janis' head is actually really important, since it leads up to whatever it is that she's about to do now?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

* Parson is still planning messy revenge on Bill.

(PS: character development is more important than plot development)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Reene posted:

I can kind of understand keeping Bill around but goddamn there is really no reason Vanna should still be around even in a dungeon. She is way too dangerous. What is he hoping to gain by keeping her?

Well, his girlfriend just killed his Ruler right in front of him, and he's now Overlord via regicide, so he probably doesn't want to start killing Transylvito units before the bodies even get cold.

You could order to enter the Magic Kingdom and go barbarian again, I suppose, but then you have to deal with questions like "what does she know and who is she telling it to?".

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

why is no one watching the prisoners known to have tricky magic powers

why has bill been left to his own devices in any fashion

Honestly, "put her in a locked room where nobody can hear her speak" is probably the best way to jail a Turnamancer.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Caesar can order her not to speak and someone should just be sitting outside Bill's cell giving him a judging glare 24/7.

If ordering her not to speak works, then just ordering her to stay in the cell should also work.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Rygar201 posted:

poo poo is about to get really real

Am I wrong in thinking that Marie just violated the treaty with Charlescomm, again?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Rygar201 posted:

I believe Faq units are covered.

Looking it up, it says "unless GK units or interests are threatened by Faq", which may apply in this case. Unless I can think of a reason why it's in Marie's interest to send GK money to Charlescomm, I'll assume it does.

(She can't hurt Jillian either, way, though.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Oh, that's right, she might just turn around and start attacking the MK. I didn't think of that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Erfworld is updating regularly twice a week; trying to compare that to George Martin or Aaron Diaz is an insane standard.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Boromir is obviously going to die; he's a trademarked character drawn as a recognizable pastiche of a living actor. He's not going to become a major character.

Lilith should live because she's awesome and I want to see more of her.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm eager to see if enough Great Minds are left to pull that long-distance string sever attack. Losing that backburner omnipotence would make them freak out.

They've already lost that for years and years, though. They can't be that attached to it, especially given that they only ever used it the one time that we know of.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's also important to take this in the context of Marie being part of the conspiracy to end war, so she's not necessarily approving of the fact even as she describes it.

I wound up subscribing to their support Patreon. Most of the bonus features are pants, but having a high-resolution version of the comic is pretty nice.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

As I mentioned elsewhere, Wanda's fatalism is also pretty darn scary to people who don't know what a pain it is to actually have to deal with her.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Onmi posted:

I like how this chapter showed just how much Leadership is important, even to Free Casters who should be able to act independently. Even high level casters wielding auto-spec insta-croak weapons will fail against what amounts to a single Golem and a dirtamancer.

Like I keep saying, emotions and personal problems wind up beating numbers and tactical considerations 75% of the time.

Zoe posted:

Well now we're getting somewhere.

Though I was thinking the same thing, that it really is strange how much major poo poo is going down with zero coordination on the GK side and no involvement from Parson at all.

I feel like Parson can't fulfill his commission as "warlord to end all war" just by winning a bunch of battles. He has to change the way people think about war. Which he's already started doing, by making parley highly suspect, by inventing new kinds of traps, by destroying the neutrality of the MK, and, most important of all, by encouraging everybody else to examine problems his way.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Hm, looks like Isaac was the deiform one.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Signamancy lies all the time, though.

Maggie isn't actually a heartless Thatcher-bitch. Transylvito has more depth than being vampire Jersey Shore. Albert isn't going to turn to the side he resembles. Ossomer wouldn't have made a better king than Tramennis just because he had muscles and a jawline.

You can learn stuff from Signamancy, but you're just as likely to be led astray by your biases the way King Slately admitted he was. Assuming that Jeftichew is naturally untrustworthy because he's a Carnymancer is pretty much Erfworld's equivalent of racism.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I would assume that veiling magic prevents Caesar's Ruler senses from detecting the presence of the veiled unit unless it does something or interferes with turn order by its presence.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Zoe posted:

It seems like casters that can cast veils would be in VERY high demand if so.

Foolamancers seem reasonably popular, although, as we know, a lot of people are unwilling to pay for spell security, and thus get murdered by twolls in veils.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I don't think rulers have ever been stated to be able to detect enemy units in their capital, just their own. The only direct reference I can think of is Charlie thought Sizemore might have been in his capital that one time, and ruled it out because no one had spotted anyone but Lilith.

Jillian does it here, where she seems to know that there's one Gobwin Knob caster in the city, but not who or what kind, and mentions that if it were Wanda and she'd Decrypted anybody she'd be able to sense a warlord too.

EDIT: Uh, actually, that's kind of interesting. Charlie didn't seem to think he'd be able to sense Sizemore if he were present, and he mentioned when Ivan and Claude briefly joined Charlescomm that doing this brought up Ruler senses he wasn't used to feeling. Does Charlie not have access to some of the normal Ruler package and have to use the Arkendish for that? (Or he might just be very rusty because it's been so long since an enemy unit entered his capital, if ever.)

EDIT EDIT: Hm, no, later he's using his Ruler senses (badly) to give orders to Archons with the dish down, so it looks like he's just very very bad with them.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 14, 2017

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

They also talk a lot about the Signamancy of the thing, because Erfworld wants people to judge by appearances. If something looks ugly, it's probably wrong somehow.

What Buck is doing looks ugly.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

So, huh.

I kind of hope this information is, at most, an incomplete perspective. The notion that Fate is actually something people create is potentially an interesting angle, but the execution is kind of wonky. Especially when it's delivered in an internal monologue, meaning that despite being huge thematically, it doesn't really change anything for anyone else.

Literally every caster we've seen so far has been convinced that their discipline is the end-all, be-all of reality and that every other kind of caster is just playing with shadows.

I see no reason to assume the Thinkamancers are any less arrogant.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

...that's true! Sizemore is up there with Janis and Maggie as far as having a shot at being the most decent person in the comic.

It's probably something like:

1) Sizemore
2) Janis
3) Parson
4) Maggie
5) immeasurably vast gulf
6) I don't know, Duncan or somebody
7) Oh, wait, I forgot about Bunny

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Zoe posted:

So this whole contract between the sides can just be completely ignored on Charlie's end, that's the impression I've been getting every time the archons do anything.

Basically, yeah. Charlie has so much more money than anybody else that the penalty he wrote into the contract (that would be ruinous for any side they've ever heard of) is just annoying for him.

I mean, releasing huge amounts of money into the world is a problem for him, not least because it risks tipping people off about just how much money Charlie has, but he can do it if he really needs to and all it costs him is the trouble of taking all the money back later.

There's a reason Charlie says he's in the business of not having a lose condition.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Onmi posted:

This is incredibly tense. Honestly does she have a choice? If she refuses she gets shot. I mean... that's Charlie for you. "Do what I say or die."

Wanda doesn't actually believe it's possible for her to die, so to her it's totally a choice.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I don't think anybody has ever implied that Jillian is wise or kind. Most of the people who have to deal with her find her incredibly irritating. Charlie seems to need her for some reason but it seems pretty obvious he's sick of her when his professionalism cracks. ("Not feeling it.")

What Jillian is is perfectly adapted to Erfworld's military setup. She's powerful, largely amoral, and doesn't really care about anything except the things she cares about personally, so she doesn't get entangled in disputes about Canon or whatever. She'd be Erfworld's apex predator if Erfworld didn't keep trying to top itself in that regard.

People do seem to fall in love with her a lot. I guess it's the muscles?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

No, but Tondelayo's always been characterized as hyper-protective and possessive of Charlie, so it's natural for her to view all other Archons as competition for his affection.

Bonnie also has a very different personality type in that she's focused on rules and regulations and seems to be more loyal to Charlescomm than to Charlie personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It would be interesting if Tondelayo is decrypted and turns immediately back to Charlie. She seems to know and love him as a person in the way that lower-ranking Archons don't.