Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It seems like he's basically able to do it because the person who signed it turned out to be a legal fabrication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

If people are just going to hate-watch, I politely request that they make their own thread.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Hob_Gadling posted:

I think breaking everything to the point that nothing can be trusted upon is an interesting development. Everything sort of leads to it, backing out now seems like a bad idea. If the original Erfworld was a hex-based strategy game with a ton of rules and restrictions, this new game starts to resemble Diplomacy quite a bit. Very few things to actually restrict you, it's all in how you deal with players. I'm down with that.

That is, if Balder actually planned it to be this way and didn't just write himself into a corner. I'm not sure which just happened.

I mean, something like that has been going on for a while now, from the point where Parson made parley into something that could no longer be relied upon.

Breaking war probably means breaking everything.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, somebody already made it so nothing could hurt Lady Sylvia and this arguably just made things worse for her side, and possibly also for her.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Onmi posted:

See this is the thing I hate about Hue Hue, because... at first the Towers seems very much like the arbitration of the world, you can't cheat them, they can't cheat you, they will keep you honest. But Hue Hue, after a tonne of pages about how they have to trick him, was also running his own racket? I don't hate Erfworld but I feel cheated by this.

I feel like the idea that the Towers were there "to keep people honest" was very much a fan creation. From the beginning, the Tutelaries have been extremely, uh... partisan? No, that isn't the word. My point is, they're all just as eccentric and demanding as the actual lunatics living in them, rather than acting as any kind of stabilizing factor.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

We don't even know what the consequences of Huehue's action actually are, yet. (Shirley seems to think they're going to be pretty bad.)

My point is more that the towers care about fair play, but none of them agree on what fair play actually is, which makes it unlikely that they were designed as an intentional balancing mechanism. Like a lot of things in Erfworld, they're theoretically overpowered, but fail to overpower everything because their power is in the hands of flawed people who do dumb things. Shirley was able to wipe out Charlie's critical need for a Dirtamancer to fix his broken tower... and then immediately made everything worse for Charlie by shutting the entire side down.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

And now for something completely different.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Dammit, everybody spent months begging for something different to happen on a different turn, and dammit, that's exactly what you're gonna get!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

As long as we get Cubbins' explanation of why Hat Magic is the pivot of the universe (and how much he wants to smooch Ace Hardware) I don't care.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

super sweet best pal posted:

I really hate Tondy a lot because she was a prime example of it. How many updates did we have getting to know a character who died and won't be important unless she gets decrypted, which will be so far from the time she died they might as well have saved most of her backstory for after she's decrypted.

Tondelayo is... actually pretty important as a window into Charlie's less heartless side? Like, it's a big deal that the five people who actually know him really do care about him as a person, and he cares about them more than you might think he was capable of doing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think Lord Forecastle may have taken place some time in the past.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, you also have to consider that 1600 turns can potentially mean "the rise and fall of five civilizations". What does that even do to continuity of history?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I thought the metastatic cancer diagnosis turned out to be completely wrong?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It looks like he's getting through the backer stories by finding a way to combine this one with the new prologue.

In the meantime, this one is hella bleak.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

These guys are certainly interesting, at any rate.

I wonder where they heard about "children"? Erfworlders seems to instinctively understand Stupidworld words once they hear them, but they have to hear them first.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh my God, please tell me Balder got so caught up in the minutia of the nothing bullshit that he forgot a major part of his own worldbuilding.

No, it seems pretty clearly intentional, since Paige finds the concept so unpleasant for some reason that she won't even discuss it.

It's possible that Parson's ideas are starting to get around.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

And today we learn that, yes, it is in fact possible to just write a contract with terms like "don't be evil" instead of Charlie's fifty-page bullshit. (Although, as a lawyer, Charlie's bullshit might be preferable.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm actually kind of interested to see what would happen if Parson just forced Charlie to sign a contract promising not to be a dick.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Erfworld was never a critique or deconstruction of an isekai at all. If anything it's a take on hyper-strategic stories like, I dunno, Death Note or something, where everybody is trying to make extremely rational decision on how to deploy their broken powers, but failing because the rational decision is not the one they actually want to make.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

nimby posted:

I lost interest the first time Erfworld became a webnovel instead of a comic, and now I've lost interest again where it's all prologue, all the time. Has anything interesting happened with all the introductions?

One of the backer stories turned out to be part of the main story, which seems to be about one of the mythical 99 original sides, "Archezoa," which is the only one that still exists and maintains itself as a secret island kingdom surrounded by hostile sea life. Fumo, a warlord who popped randomly in the middle of nowhere without the skills needed to survive in his environment, appears by his Signamancy to be "properly" a unit of Archezoa even though he isn't. This has horrifying implications about how many units are born to die every turn.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

I think the painful truth is that Erfworld has always been an isekai with an overly competent strategic main character. It just was funny and had the good sense to focus on Parson rather than sprawling out into the current mess.

I mean, it's obviously an isekai; it just isn't a parody or deconstruction of the concept because pretty much everything going on here is completely normal for isekai.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Except for the whole part where Parson realizes at the end of Book 1 that living in a world that was basically tailor-made for his skillset (an isekai staple if there ever was one) is actually horrifying.

That's not abnormal for isekai either.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Hah, I don't really watch anime, so I wasn't aware there was a whole genre of shows revolving around getting dropped into a videogame world. It still feels like a relatively novel idea to me. :)

The specific combination of tropes people call "isekai" is fairly new; there was another and largely different vein of portal fantasy in the 90's that was more female-focused.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Konosuba is a pretty decent isekai comedy as well as being a demonstration of extremely powerful abilities being largely neutered by the fact that the people who have those abilities are morons.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

After all that, we finally start hooking back into the main plot.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm more concerned about how they don't show any of the 3D-modeled characters, presumably because they know how bad they're going to look compared to the drawn ones.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Artist turnover is too great because he's a primadonna and a perfectionist.

I don't think any of them have ever said so. It's possible they just left because there's not enough money in it for them to follow somebody else's dreams.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Okay, I just read the long version, and it honestly seems kind of odd that he's not considering moving forward on Erfworld without art. Webnovels are a much harder sell than webcomics, but they do exist.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Congratulations, my lord... t'was a splendidly speedy defection!"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm okay with it just being a plain novel.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Okay, now I'm interested.

The illustration of Sugar is even kind of effective, but I think they'd probably do better to give up on pictures.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Okay, at this point, Erfworld actually seems to be able to crank out regular comic updates in a style that's upgraded from "bad" to "interestingly weird." I'm eager to see where this leads.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I don't really feel like "the world of Erfworld is horseshit and the holy scriptures are unreliable" is new information.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, this seems pretty obvious to me in terms of being a take on "the Titans tried making a world where everybody was nice once and it didn't work."

Why it didn't work, we don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Under the circumstances, I think we've said all that need be said.