Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
About 14 hours until I (probably) get to see if my guess is right. Ever since 'Anger not the Unpainted' I've figured we'd see unpainted caster models come and one-up everyone by stopping the fight (as it is embarrassing to be beaten by an unpainted army of course). As of page 135 the three grey (unpainted) casters have reached the top left and look ready to cast. I'm fully expecting them to cast some sort of 'time stop' equivalent just as a magic ball of doom gets within inches of Parson's face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
I'm disappointed. The Thinkamancer thing seems rather pulled from the rear end. They grey/unpainted casters could at least be explained and would probably have given us an early-Erf info dump which would have been awesome.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
For the most part I'm not a huge fan of Translyvito as a side so far. Hopefully this will change my mind in that regard. The place is a powderkeg but I have a hard time seeing either side of the budding civil war taking kindly to Gobwin Knob units.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

reignonyourparade posted:

We did already know that the thinkomancers have bullshit tricks to pull out too, from Parson and Artemis discussing "their castle." "Too many ways to stop a unit in their tracks" and whatnot. We just didn't previously know what exactly they WERE.

To clarify - this is sort of what I mean. I feel that Thinkamancers, in their current form, cheapen some of the other casting classes to one extent or another - especially casting classes that deal with the mind or perception. Thinkamancers are, after the Arkendish, the premier communication service on Erfworld and put Hat Magicians to shame. They've shown mastery of mental fuckery that puts them in direct competition with Carnimancers and Foolamancers. They've got, to our knowledge, unique access to larger caster links into which they can add casters from other disciplines Voltron-style to leech - and even improve upon - their effects. Certainly they do not replace other casting classes, but they do seem to be the OP choice of the lot. It doesn't help that I cannot stand the Great Minds. I mean, I think that we were meant to dislike the Great Minds to an extent, but for me I absolutely loathe reading anything regarding them. That isn't to say 'screw Thinkamancers' - Bunny's alright and I love how Maggie is coming along.

In regards to the straw that broke the camel's back - this just intrudes too far into Foolamancy (screwing with the senses) for me to like. Granted 'thinking means brains means screwing with whatever gets processed there which means perceptions and balance and such' but... I dunno. I think it'd be a lot more interesting if the powers of the various casters didn't step on one another's toes so often - especially when the caster type in question is already so powerful.

Edit: Page 141 is out and looks to be the end of Book 3. I'm definitely looking forward to the Epilogue pages coming up. After those conclude I hope that we get into Book 4 a bit more quickly considering that there seems to be a solid art team and the Toolshed is doing its thing.

Page 141 itself has a fairly nice visual wrapup on it and there is quite a bit to take in. The panel with the shot of the MK has most of my attention. Also in the last panel Charlie's wisp of hair almost looks like some kind of third eye (not that I think it is).

Erev fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 11, 2016

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

reignonyourparade posted:

The great minds are our only example of multiple members of the top end of a discipline working together. Is it intruding on foolamancy? Perhaps, but then again perhaps if a bunch of Master class foolamancers had stepped in they would have done even better.

Except that they can't. Cause linking.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
While all Thinkamancers are Eyemancers, not all Eyemancers are Thinkamancers. It's the Thinkamancer Temple, not the Eyemancer.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Kyte posted:

Also interesting how Ace has no problem talking about his former allegiance.

That archon is a bit rude.

I'm pretty sure that's a loyalty stat thing. The archon may have had a naturally high loyalty to Charlescomm whereas Ace... Ace's loyalty was probably more to Cubbins than Jetstone considering how Slately treated him and he's found appreciation and encouragement to try stuff and tinker with Goblin Knob.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
So that was dark as gently caress. Poor Maggie. The connotations go places that I really wish they didn't.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
That reveal was physically painful. And absolutely amazing. Well done!

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Donkringel posted:

Also i hope no skip this fri

Way to curse it.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
I'm feeling the 'come back much later' vibe as well. The wandering story and missed updates were annoying. Seeing time go into crypto farming when he'd make plenty of cash doing his job hasn't helped. The bans I find frankly unacceptable.

On the bright side it'll mean that I am 100% free from checking webcomics for updates (down from like six several years ago). When I come back to check in a few months maybe there will be enough material that this months-long turn will have finally ended....

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
The reason the crypto bit annoys me is that he's been working on that boondoggle when he already can't get pages out on time. If he'd just focus on not missing updates he'd probably make more than he will from this cryptomining venture.

The fact that he then whined about his wasted art and 'creative genious' when he banned people just made it more annoying.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Roughly 7 and a half hours left. Odds on a full week skip while he plays with his crypto?

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Kyte posted:

Do you guys really need to do the metaphorical "tap your feet while looking at the clock" thing every single time? Like, c'mon, just drop the comic and come back in a few months, you'll be happier that way.

I mean I know you are correct and I do think I'll try it...

... but not until after this comedy of errors. Once it settles to normal levels of incompetence then it won't be fun anymore.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
A lot have been named but probably nothing still existing. Sooo... that should be it for tower raising action unless they want to do a montage. Then I could see him doing every last frickin' one. Cause world building.

I'm about 90% certain that the other big 'hush hush' secret that the Thinkamancers had was the Temples (and perhaps who suppressed them).

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
gently caress.

I mean we didn't know and he didn't offer up reasons but it does make sense now. Even before they knew she was dealing with the symptoms which makes a shitton more sense.

I do hope that she makes a quick and full recovery and will give zero crap about missed updates until then.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Someone in the comments pointed out that over like a third of erfworld has been this one long turn. Looking forward to new a new turn, juice, and combat.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Today's update boils down to Shirley stating she needs to order Bill to escape. Oh, and a short recap on a ton of stuff we either have heard before or actively saw.

Erev fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 3, 2018

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, I guess that massive pile of cliffhangers the characters we like are currently involved in are going to be left aside for a while while the story pivots to something so new and unrelated it might as well be a backer story.

To be fair, that ever growing pile of 'cliffhangers' (I have a hard time even calling them that anymore) wasn't ever really resolving anyways. But, yeah, hopefully this will be a short three shot so we can be done with it. I want to see if we can get to one thousand pages per turn....

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
So the prologue-athon continues....

For all the other missteps since Book 2, this has honestly pushed me to my lowest levels of checking the comic. I'm at roughly once or twice per month from once every couple of days and only pop in long enough to see if it still reads 'Prologue'. The only webcomic I've read that has turned me off harder was Weregeek when they retconned the entire initial premise into a sham.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I don't recall there being a soundtrack album. Was it ever finished? The only thing about it I can find is on the Kickstarter page.

We've gotten to the point that there are kickstarters that I wasn't even aware of. I think that officially drops me off the 'fan' roster.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
gently caress you guys. I opened that and my eyes were immediately in pain from the assault.

I miss book one art. gently caress, even book two.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, at this point, Erfworld actually seems to be able to crank out regular comic updates in a style that's upgraded from "bad" to "interestingly weird." I'm eager to see where this leads.

I wanted to disagree with this but ***most*** of the stuff in the panels is actually not horrible to view now and even interesting in a way. But it also doesn't look like Erfworld either. Of course it hasn't in a while and hasn't felt like Erfworld in even longer.

Edit: I viewed it on a mobile device however so your milage may vary on something higher resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
I'm actually a bit sad. As bad as the first bits of computer art were they were actually starting to get to the point of being acceptable within the last couple of updates. I was entirely ready to eat crow if it had continued to improve for a few more months. I am also quite worried about Linda as I've got a sneaking suspicion that her health might be part of it though I do not have any proof and the letter did bear both names.

This whole thing with the heartstrings and the payment system is quite odd and possibly scummy? It was a bit hard to get a read on what the plan is there. Also if the landing page is permanent I doubt many new folks will find the archives on accident - which is too bad as Book 1 was a legitimately good story and even Book 2 had its moments.