Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Rand Brittain posted:

True, but it'll be in Schmuckers, not gems, and my impression was that Charlie had converted most of his actual wealth into gems so that this kind of "half-the-treasury" hit wouldn't ding him for as much.

For normal situations, it's a good thing. But in this case, it makes things riskier, because if he runs out of schmuckers he's gonna have to give out units which are far, far more valuable than gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I count at least 6 hits on GK units, which means.... with each hit being half the treasury or 5mil... 166 509 871 -> 83254935 -> 41627467 -> 20813733 -> 10406866 -> 5203433 -> 203433 left over in Charlie's vault. (Jesus christ I hadn't quite grasped just how much cash Charlie had)
So that's over 166mil to GK.
If they can confirm one more hit they can start claiming units back.
Wow maybe Marie shouldn't've told the fodder to hit the deck.

That said that plan was hilariously effective for how simple it was.

E: Remember amount wrong.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 2, 2016

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Oh it's 5mil. So they just need one more confirmed hit to start claiming units. Rule of drama says they don't have that last hit, then.

And yes it works, his faction change healed up his first wound. That's the little bandage on his eyebrow.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I don't think he misjudged the speed of his orders, I think he just couldn't do anything any faster. He was struggling just to make a basic claim.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

NihilCredo posted:

But he still had near-instant communication with Parson, judging by how fast he sent the "I'll disband you rather than let you be croaked and Decrypted" response.

If he had been worried about the Archons shooting him as he stepped through the portal, he would have told Parson to wait in the MK for a few more seconds until he had confirmation that his order to stand down had been received.

Yeah but that's one-man communication and he was already tuned to Parson. Given he has to navigate the channels of thinkamancy which takes non-trivial time maybe he just couldn't reach the mass communication channel in time. Or maybe he did misjudge, he's not used to having to depend on a chain of command to deliver orders.

Oh and http://archives.erfworld.com/Book%203/122
Plan Success. (Why did I think it was the higher of half treasury/5 mil?)

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

NihilCredo posted:

At some point Charlie's Carnymancy - or at least his ability to de-Fate individuals like Jillian - will have to be shown defeating Predictamancy, otherwise Janis Marie's presence will keep killing any narrative tension.

To be fair she only predicted some specific short-term things. It's not like she can help with grand strategy, and her juice is limited so it's not like they can do extensive exploratory predictions to conduct military operations (otherwise every side would hire one).

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Poison Mushroom posted:

That line might have been effective were it not for Tumblr making a meme of the word 'egg'.

wut

Also you need to pay less attention to tumblr.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Wanda's move might still be salvageable if she or Parson give them them turn barbarian or wherever they want after all's done. They've already proven that Decrypted retain a measure of free will, after all.

She really needs to work on the whole "ask whether it's a good idea before carrying said idea out" thing though.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Pretty sure it was mentioned Charlie can use the Dish directly, but it's not nearly as effective. It makes sense its function gets augmented with shockamancy, have you ever seen a satellite dish work without electricity?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
My guess is carnymancy, ironically enough. It feels the theme of the object.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
No wonder he was so amused.

It's this kinda situations that made me wish Erfworld could be animated, it'd be so surreal to see and hear in motion.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's always cool to see these linked moments, they are so insightful.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, so why can he walk through Magic Kingdom portals?

Why does damage work differently for him?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Aumanor posted:

Does it?

He bleeds and feels pain and has his function impaired by it.

Remember that guy during the Jetstone inferno who was completely black from burns yet still worked as usual?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

McSpanky posted:

Parson also broke the swearing rules just by getting really pissed, and changed his own unit type. He's special.

Pretty sure he didn't change his unit type, he just used his power as chief warlord to promote himself from garrison to field unit or however that went. He's still a Heavy unit and such.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Most of Erfworld's jokes are. It's fine, it was good setup.

We got plot, too. And info on how Charlie gets his neat toys.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 1, 2016

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Basically the Great Minds are OP on paper but shackled with so much bureaucracy they end up being almost useless in practice.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
New page, basically summarizing the aftermath.

Who's the person in the tapestry on the first panel? I get the feeling it's Misty but not sure.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Gobwin Knob's late lookamancer, the one that got killed when they broke the link.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Idle thought I had: we know "non-casters can't cast magic " is a rule that can be broken, given Charlie Carny'd a scroll to allow that. Presumably you can't do that with normal spells because the unit doesn't have a caster special and therefore no juice. But Weirdomancers, IIRC, can confer specials on units. But not spellcasting because of the previous rule.
So I wonder if perhaps a link between the two would let you turn a unit into a Caster. I'd assume Fate would pick which kinda caster it'd be.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Phenotype posted:

New one is up, a little late.

I'm not sure what it means for Stanley to be choosing a new Chief Warlord and Caster already. I suppose Transylvito isn't going to trade Parson back so easily, but they're broke as gently caress, last we saw, so I wouldn't think they'd have much choice but to accept some of Stanley's new money. We still haven't had any conclusion to Ansom's diplomatic mission to Jetstone, I don't think, so he should be coming back to GK in the next couple turns, so I don't know why he wouldn't be the obvious Chief Warlord even if Parson wasn't coming back right away. It also suggests that Wanda and the other Magic Kingdom survivors are being held by hostile free casters, despite seeing Janis and the Thinkamancers showing up last issue.

The problem is that making contact with anybody needs a Thinkamancer or an Eyebook and Stanley's away from the former and Ansom doesn't have the latter. So you gotta do with what you have on hand.

Also interesting how Ace has no problem talking about his former allegiance.

That archon is a bit rude.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
For those confused: here

:stonk:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Rygar201 posted:

Lmao, people thought the Buffalo Bill caster wouldn't be creepy as gently caress.

Also, notice the references to Dollamancy and Thinkamancy and Strings.

People seriously thought that? After the whole "it puts the lotion on the skin" thing?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Reene posted:

That got played off as a joke. This successfully came across as creepy and horrifying as hell.

Played off as a joke? The gently caress? Dude if it's a joke it's of the dead baby kind. Dude was caught making some bizarre sex monster in a literal dungeon and literally nothing in the narration played it off as jovial or ironic or whatever.

Every single piece of description or character interaction regarding the dude has had people being uncomfortable about his presence and/or implying he was disturbed in some way.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
We've covered Maggie and Wanda, now it's Parson's turn.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Is it me or there's an almost instinctive quality to Maggie's reaction to Bill's opinion on Thinkamancy. Wonder if all casters have that. It seems a bit weird how they all kind of dismiss all disciplines outside their own.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Maybe it's a subtle Fate ploy so casters don't collaborate too much. Combining two/three disciplines via link already makes some amazing effects.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
While it's perfectly true it makes no sense for a Ruler to Duty/Loyalty/etc, which are mostly directed towards the Ruler, I can bet they too have their own hidden stats like duty to the side itself and such, basically stuff only a Ruler would know about.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Site's back, for those who had trouble earlier.

This whole arc has been basically Charlie playing a desperate game of speed chess against Fate itself trying to screw him in every possible way.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
We already know the bracer's subject to Fate tampering. It tried to fool Parson into thinking the spell to send him back would never work, remember?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm calling it: all the Arkentools came in happy meals along with people summoned from earth, and this is Parson's.

That'd wildly contradict previous worldbuilding. Plus the observed effects aren't consistent between the bracer and actual Arkentools.

It's powerful, yes, but not quite on the same level.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I'd say it really is an artifact, but not an arkentool.
And to be fair, Parson did ask the right questions, just of a different sort. Predicting the future is just as valuable, after all.

Carrasco posted:

This is the definitive proof tbh.

As for why it's giving such precise answers now, I think it's because the questions being asked are of past events, things that already happened. Parson used it to calculate coin flips, Benjamin is asking it whether a previously flipped coin was heads or tails. There's no ambiguity there.

Relatedly, I think the reason it gave such weird answers when Parson asked about the spell isn't necessarily because of Fate Shenanigans (not that we can ever rule that out), but because the questions he were asking were based on a false premise, namely it was some property unique to himself that would let him cast spells in general. Which wasn't exactly true, it wasn't exactly false, and there was a definite answer and not a probability range. So the bracer sort of glitched out because it had the answer but couldn't express it mathematically (maybe if it was a graphing calculator instead of a watch).

No, it was deliberately loving with him. Check for yourself.

quote:

“Odds of: me as a warlord, as I am, casting this Carnymancy spell, right here and now.”

Again, a number flashed quickly, but changed to: 0.0
[...]
“True/false: I could create conditions here and now that would give me non-zero odds of casting the Carnymancy spell.”

T, read the display.

Then, suddenly: F
What's most telling is that right as he's about to cast he gets knocked out by a falling beam. That's totally Fate fuckery.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 24, 2016

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Today dinner is self-serve.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's likely that kind of negotiation is a form of (natural?) turnamancy, anyways. Turnamancy is about motivations, after all.

And I don't really think it's all falling down just yet. If anything it's setting it up so GK actually has a chance in hell of actively opposing a Charlie that will be more concerned with wiping GK out than keeping operational secrecy.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

nimby posted:

Or she's thinking about how much of an idiot she now works for.

Ding ding ding
Interestingly, Jed has feelings too.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Those burnt bits are making me irrationally uncomfortable.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

NihilCredo posted:

They don't look like burns at all to me, before reading this thread I thought it had got hit by a hail of paver stones or something.

As for you, it might be trypophobia. Don't look it up.

Oh yes I know what's it about but god ugh.

It's because they resemble scabs.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
We've seen the bracer acts on best-guess information known to the side, except in the matter of Parson and Fate, so I don't think it's cheating here, at least, just reporting based on the same incomplete information as the rest of them.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Man sleepwalking is powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
They're powerful, but they're not flavorful. Ergo, boring.

Even the Hammer is interesting and Stanley's not a Caster.