Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Remember when Parson turned to CC?
Or the KISS, for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I like how even a magically enhanced City Tower can get salty about stuff.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
She mentioned to be a free caster, so barbarian.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
btw there was another chapter that I didn't see posted, so some may've missed it.

Seems this will be the kind of chapter that will only make complete sense in hindsight.

Also leaks. Leaks everywhere.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's probably exactly as Charlie feared. As free casters under contract they had plausible deniability. Once turned, I guess the Minds thought "welp that seals the deal" and nipped it in the bud.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Is this the first mention of the Rhyme-o-mancer since the battle in Portal Park? I thought he'd been dusted with the rest of the Beans.

Did I miss something? Where was he mentioned?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I keep forgetting to mention it but I really like Odie. He's a cool dude and can advice Stanley in ways nobody else in the side can.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
tbh they're actually pretty good for somebody untrained in drawing. The composition and perspectives are pretty good.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Hob_Gadling posted:

Anyone else read The Last Turn fanfic? I thought it was a neat bit of prose which fit the spirit of the comic well.

Well poo poo I spent four straight hours reading it.

Good stuff.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
We aren't seeing his internal thoughts, so maybe he's just showing receptiveness.

There's also the quality of truth. Among other things, Parson admitted he lied about the thing protecting him from being bloodsucked. That means he gave up a layer of personal security.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Pretty sure what Roger assumed to be a signal block was the moment the mansion fell.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Yeah. "Violently yanked away" and "all fell slack at once" really sound more like everyone dying than being blocked. RVC's practicing a lot of self-deception in this update (even before the garden reveal, he's "adjusting a few key nodes slightly towards some of the more optimistic outcomes"), that's probably part of it.

To be fair, even with the sound of a building collapsing in the distance, "the entire Thinkamansion went bust" is really far from the first possibility.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Galvanik posted:

Do turns work like that? I thought each side continued until they ran out of juice, moves and attacks, or the ruler ended the turn deliberately.

Yeah there's mentions of turns growing stale. I assume it's a deliberate anti-stalling mechanic.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's probably not immediately relevant, but if Deisaac manages to pull in a moneymancer it might just become a non-issue. The amount of juice the dude's got available must be staggering.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Wasn't the scroll only castable because carney?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I always wondered if we'd ever top Charlie's megalomania.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Caidin posted:

Okay no I get the joke, the deiform essentially wants to be the referee of Erf world.

Which is to say the Great minds, compressed into one, are now the GM.

Ok now I want it to succeed.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
To elaborate a bit, their colorist's term is up so they're switching to a new one they've had lined up for a while since this wasn't a surprise quitting.
At the same time they're taking the chance for a break and figure out a new schedule because the current pace was proving harmful for life outside making webcomics for everyone involved.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 4, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Some people just aren't naturally fast at producing content.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Bobulus posted:

I feel kind of lost. Why did the Thinkamancer hivemind decide to do this, again? Almost seems like they gave Charlie a parent-figure to keep him in line or something.

In the previous text update, the Great Minds took in the dollamancer dude and had him combine his expertise with dirtamancer dude to analyze the Charlescomm portal column for possible hacks, dollamancer realized he could animate the column, dirtamancer dude expresses interest, Great Minds go "that sounds like a bad idea, how do we know what would the Tower want", dollamancer replies "well how about we ask it and find out". I assume the portal column is connected to the Tower itself

So Great Minds + dirtamancer + dollamancer pulled the same trick as Parson, but more indirectly.
Presumably the Great Minds realized they had nothing to lose and very little time to make a proper decision and accepted the proposal.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Zoe posted:

I don't know how any of the magic in this setting is even supposed to work anymore, but getting Parson back into the story seems like step in the right direction.

Also Claud is all grey now, does that mean he's in shock or traumatized or something?

Looks to me like the time when Jack got cut off the three-caster link waaaaaaaaay back then. He seems to be a bit zonked out.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 11, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I just use Firefox's live bookmarks.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Donkringel posted:

The amount of puns creeping into this comic... slowly turning into Xanth series.

Creeping? Dude the puns have been there from the start.

The integration and sophistication of the wordplay has been increasing though.

Jed Eye Knights was p great.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
What's interesting is that before the whole mess with Olive Branch happened, Charlie wasn't particularly interested in attacking or such.

Another thought: Perhaps the end objective here w/ Marie and whatnot wrt Jillian is to bring her and Wanda together so Jillain can be decrypted, since decryption seems to reset the unit and undo all sorts of damage, including whatever brain fuckery Charlie did to her.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The Fox News logo is obvious, but what company is the Arkendish Network parodying?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Goes to show what I know of American companies!

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Dunno if it's specifically a Trump joke as much an American Politics In General joke.

For one, Charlie is much more competent and generally insidious.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
And all those predate Trump and have been used more skillfully by people before Trump.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I feel like you guys need to stop checking in so obsessively. Use an RSS feed or something, so the comics come to you instead.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I guess.
Still, how do you keep track of all the dates? Or do you only read a couple webcomics?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Past behavior sets future expectations. Rich has been irregular in his schedule for long enough that acceptance is the default.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
They don't learn everything, they just come with the knowledge that's appropriate to their station. Caesar for example had to take etiquette lessons from Benjamin since he was too lowborn to pop with that knowledge.
Nobles are not casters, they don't need to know what casters can do, although they probably do pop with a basic idea of what a given caster can do, but it's still up to them to realize the implications.
Not even casters know the full extent of their own disciplines (otherwise there'd be no Novice/Adept/Master class distinction)

Also most of the biggest improvements casters such as dirtamancers have made have come from leaders of vision executing Big Ideas using casters of significant ability, often using a link-up, and not all leaders are open-minded or creative. Also it's expensive.

Most sides' priorities lie in securing their own immediate future by doing offensive pushes against some other side, and most of the fancy jobs we've seen don't actually directly contribute to such things.

(And I'm fairly sure most sides wouldn't actually trust turnamancers if it weren't the fact their specialty is to get people to trust them. Also it's easy to blame the caster when their spell, acted on ill-conceived orders, fails to achieve a probably impossible objective. That last one's just human nature.)

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

PMush Perfect posted:

I'd call it even odds that he's about to either croak or straight-up disband her.

Looks to me like he's going for the more direct approach with this.

Also, if Bill shows up with that Bunny doll...

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I suspect Parson doesn't feel more twigged out about Decrypted because, to his perspective, everybody is under some creepy nebulous mind control thing, what with the Loyalty and Duty stuff. (And then it got proven that Decrypted aren't actually absolutely loyal)

Also he might be deliberately not thinking very deeply about it. He did feel a bit bothered when Jack got decrypted, but then it turned out he was pretty much the same.

WRT Wanda I'm pretty sure as a Croakamancer she has an innate sense for corpses in the hex and the MK counts as one big hex, so she probably noticed them lying just right there and went "hey, free casters".

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Much of what we see of Anson post-Decryption is the exploration of his own psyche, and how he never really held any deep-seated convictions of his own. His religious fanaticism is, in a way, a way to cope with his own lack of direction.

Hell, he isn't even sure if he really did love Jillian.

But if you discount Ansom, it's pretty clear that, aside of giving them a creepy love for Wanda, their core values remain the same. That's why Ossomer defected, and why Marie did so as well.
As for the creepy love, I'm pretty sure it'd been made pretty clear that the Archons feel the same to Charlie. Charlie himself was disturbed that Lilith didn't feel that anymore.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Ignoring all the overarching plot threads and stuff, I feel it had some pretty good comic timing.
Jed's quip as he fills the room with water, the two big panels in the middle, Parson's first action being to grab a drink, it all works out pretty well.

Incidentally, the previous page (the text one) had quite a bit of rhyme, which must've been a bitch and a half to write.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

NihilCredo posted:

Now that you remind of me of that scene, it actually looks out of place now. If the scroll was only going to take him back to GK's capital, why would Fate have bothered to dissuade him from casting it (through the bracer's false numbers and the falling beam)? He was definitely already thinking of Erfworld as home by that point.

(I guess without Jed in place the fall would have croaked him, but that seems like an incredibly lame justification.)

There is the possibility that the spell was botched due to sudden death.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Well there's some answers.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I find it interesting they straight up call it mana, a classic fantasy term, rather than the more familiar juice. Fits with how Shirley's knowledge seems to be rooted on Earth rather than Erf, and the general use of earthen cultural cues. Makes me wonder about the underpinnings of Erfworld (and the roots of signamancy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

NihilCredo posted:

Jed uses it because it's a Polynesian word.

Oh I had no idea. That's neat.