Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Dunno if it'd been actually shown it would've been glurgy as hell.

Also a lot of it was, like, metaphorical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Chill, dude. If it infuriates you so much, perhaps you should just drop the comic?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Huh, TV got a mesoamerican tower.

Tlatoani means ruler, naturally.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Do you guys really need to do the metaphorical "tap your feet while looking at the clock" thing every single time? Like, c'mon, just drop the comic and come back in a few months, you'll be happier that way.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Android Blues posted:

I loved the Peanuts reference with Charlie hearing the "grown ups" talking as a series of warbling horn and trumpet sounds.

I feel kind of dumb I didn't think of this because I was too busy trying to match the description to modem sounds.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, wow, yeah, this is definitely the story of Maggie becoming a master-class Thinkamancer.

EDIT: Or I guess she could be becoming a Date-a-mancer without growing in Thinkamancy? I'm not really sure if the distinction there is a real one.

It's basically the difference between a neurologist and a psychologist. Both deal with the brain but on different levels. In this case date-a-mancy seems to focus outwards, to other people, while thinkamancy focuses inwards, to oneself.

Also apparently they deal with fundamentally different types of strings, so there's that.

It's known that highly talented casters can cast outside their main discipline, mind you (Wanda, for example), so Maggie achieving date-a-mancy is not unprecedented.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean more, the distinction between a Thinkamancer who's grown disillusioned with traditional Thinkamancy and branched out into Date-a-mancy, and a Date-a-mancer.

I'm not actually sure if the distinction is real. Maybe Erfworld doesn't even really have one? Janis was originally a Date-a-mancer, but she's now a master of all of Hippiemancy and people seem to ping her as a "Hippiemancer" rather than a Date-a-mancer.

(Meanwhile, it seems like most of the Great Minds were considered to be Thinkamancers even if they were originally Lookamancers or Foolamancers.)
IIRC Book 0 shows Wanda casting a bunch of cross-class stuff, so a sufficiently talented caster can do outside their discipline.

Moreover, it's mentioned that Headmasters need to have mastery of at least two of the three Eyemancys (Lookamancy, Foolamancy and Thinkamancy) while Grand Abbies must have mastered at least two of Flower Power, Signamancy and Date-a-mancy, so clearly casters are expected to branch out to sibling disciplines as they improve their skills and can't be Master-class without such an achievement.

Nevertheless, the distinction is definitely real, recall that every discipline we've seen has had its own innate sense that other casters lack. I assume it can be learned or at least comprehended to some degree if the caster wishes to delve into it, but most casters with the talent to go cross-class would not be interested, given what we've seen of them.

In the Great Minds' case, it's probably because thinkamancy is the most obviously powerful of the three, so they just assumed it was the main one and later peer-pressured the rest accordingly. (It may have been started by Thinkamancers, too)

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Pretty sure the last line strongly implied the makaleka is about to do Something to Bill's mind, in which case the exposition actually is kind of needed.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Rand Brittain posted:

Oh, heh, I just realized. The cutting of Bunny’s string means that her Decryption is going to fail.

And Maggie’s new insight into strings will make it possible to succeed, possibly using the data siphoned out of Bunny into the Bunny doll via H-string.

Presumably all units have their string cut when dying, though? I don't see why Bunny's s- oh right hers was completely unraveled.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Balder's devotion to convoluted puns with extremely delayed payoffs cannot be underestimated.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
http://archives.erfworld.com/Book%203/316

I wonder how will the Erfworld Billing System collect on that massive back payment.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
More specifically, she says as long as Parson is responsible for Charlie's death it counts. This was to rebuke Wanda's dogmatic approach to prophecies, which made her stop Lilith from taking the shot in the single best opportunity to do so because she thought it had to be Parson dealing the killing blow.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
To be fair "the arkenpliers are now alive" is a pretty significant development.

I wonder if it'll take its own form/signamancy or it'll just take over Isaac's body.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
e: nvm

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Fate doesn't seem capable of tampering with people's wills, so kinda hard for it to plant the suggestion or direct Big Think towards this conclusion.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
This isn't exactly new, he did mention before he had extrauniverse channels which clearly referred to the ones tapping into Earth knowledge.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Joe Slowboat posted:

Building a nuke would be totally useless, though, because physics work differently.
...also building a nuke requires far more than the main documents, it requires a huge industrial production line that includes technologies and materials totally alien to Erf. I'm pretty sure a nuke would be built by elaborate signamancy, or finding a rules exploit.

Anyways, the main issue here for me is that this is one of my fantasy pet peeves: Our universe is 'more real' than Erf. Our gun strats are the correct and powerful way to roll out with guns, despite the fact that combat in Erf functions in fundamentally different ways from our world. As noted above, there's a disconnect: Combat is supposed to work like a wargame, but in reality, it just works like actual combat in little hex arenas. It's lost a certain flavor.

It's always been like that though. Within a single hex things have always more or less mirrored IRL.

Moreover, the manual just detailed an extremely basic formation. There's no reason why that wouldn't work in Erfworld.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

reignonyourparade posted:

Frozen neutral, then immediately captured by gobwin knob as they captured the barbarian city, and they'd have no real reason to not turn at that point.

Not with Bill there.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
He was already suicidal at that point tho.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
FWIW she'd become a pretty huge narrative black hole and this at least gets her out of the way for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
To be entirely honest I don't see a way to satisfactorily end this comic without majorly breaking the foundations of Erfworld.

Just leave and leave everything the way it always was? Considering it was established from the beginning that this is basically a hellscape of endless war, that's not really emotionally fulfilling. An open ending would be lame too.
The fundamental (emotional) problems of the place are baked into its very rules. That's why the head hippiemancer whose name I don't recall (E: Janis, right?) was all "I hope he wars so hard he breaks war".

Not gonna deny it's gone out of control, but I also strongly doubt it was all flying-by-the-seat-of-the-pants writing. The entire point of the climax of Book 1 was that Parson was deliberately breaking free of some fundamental rules of Erfworld and he was gonna continue doing so and if he's the only one doing it then it just ends up being your average isekai light novel.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 11, 2018