Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Poison Mushroom posted:

When what's-her-face blew up the base of the tower with the rocket, she sent the entire tower, including the Arkendish, out of whack. Charlie is having trouble thinking straight because for the first time in as long as we've known about him, he's being forced to be aware of his physical body instead of being directly connected to the 'Dish.

So of course he's being shortsighted and irritable. It'd be like if your internet connect was suddenly replaced with a telegraph booth full of wasps.

Plus he's got a massive addiction that he satisfies with virtual drugs, so he's alternating between using up some of his tiny bandwidth to do that and going through withdrawal:
http://archives.erfworld.com/Book+3/116

The flowers are only mentioned in that text update and in the (text) Book 0 story. http://archives.erfworld.com/Book%200/52

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Ytlaya posted:

By the way, am I correct in thinking that Charlie being all decrepid is due to that poison Olive Branch gave him that forcibly attempted to un-attune him from the Arkendish? It seemed to be at the very least heavily implied, but I wasn't sure. If so that at least answers why he looks so terrible, since we've previously been told that peoples' Signamancy directly correlates with how influential/powerful/protected by fate/whatever they are, so it seemed weird for someone as important as Charlie to look so bad.

But Charlie tries to never take risks, never goes anywhere, never does anything (his archons do it all). He acts wildly different from all the other sides, to the point where the game rules may not recognize him as playing seriously.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Reene posted:

I would assume that's why it's giving such a certain reading to Don King right now, where it's usually much more imprecise. It appears to be actively attempting to manipulate the side and sabotage Charlie.

I like this explanation better than what I had been thinking, which is that this is how powerful the bracer is in the hands of a trained mathamancer.

Either way, though, the bracer seems nearly as game-breaking as the arkentools.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

reignonyourparade posted:

Charlie's source for that information was listening in on Bonnie's call to Don King about Don King changing his mind on the two million offer. This whole charade is to give an "official" way for him to know about it to hide the fact that he can listen in on thinkagrams.

I thought Charlie's source was his spy among the Great Minds (Roger), who saw Parson go through the portal: http://archives.erfworld.com/Book+3/139

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Kyte posted:

They're powerful, but they're not flavorful. Ergo, boring.

Even the Hammer is interesting and Stanley's not a Caster.

Yeah, but all the tools start out sounding powerful-but-boring because their abilities aren't well known.

The Hammer has the most well-understood powers: summon dwagons, fly, shoot lightning, rock out. But it's also got that pigeon thing going on.

The Pliers started out as "insta-dust the uncroaked" which is also powerful but boring. Then it turns out they also decrypt and also give a direct mental link from Wanda to the decrypted. The nature of the link is mysterious since decrypted units have free will to change sides.

There's not much info about the Dish. It can snoop on thinkagrams and it maybe allows link-ups?

If the shoes have the obvious power of infinite move, they probably have a bunch of more subtle powers. Maybe it steals move from other units? Maybe it's Turnamancer-focused and allows things like changing the order of turns?

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Onmi posted:

because Dirtamancers are all "Rock Stars"

That's just awful.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

scuba school sucks posted:

When they get paid by the fans for each on-time update I wonder if a :words: like this one counts as an update.

I remember reading this article a while back by the author of an indie graphic novel about how much of the time-effort came from him vs the artist:

http://nomediakings.org/publishing/a_graphic_division_of_labour.html posted:

A lot of people find quantifying the creative process to be distasteful somehow, but I dig hour logging — I keep track of how much time I’m spending on most of my projects. It gives me a way to predict timelines for similar projects in the future, and there’s something geekily satisfying about all that addition at the end of a day. It didn’t really work well with the movie project I’m working on, too many people and too many working styles, but it worked well with Shannon and I on the Sword of My Mouth graphic novel.

[Shannon, by the way, is currently on tour on the west coast — she’s doing a book launch at Lucky’s on Aug. 24th in case you live in Vancouver!]

So here’s a breakdown of how much time we each spent working on the book.

Jim’s hours: 283.8 (writing: 23%, revisions and editing: 16%, publicity: 20%, publishing business: 38%)

Shannon’s hours: 1000+ (drawing)

So basically, Shannon put in 80% of the time even considering I took on publicity and publishing roles. (If I was just doing the writing, it would have been closer to a 90/10% split.)

We’re dividing the money we make 80/20%, but it still feels weird. I mean, I knew it took a long time to draw, but it really takes a long time to draw. This wonky division of labour is something to keep in mind when if you’re ever approaching someone to draw a comic. Even if you’re a slow writer and they’re a fast drawer, you’re still asking them to spend much more time realizing something than you spent creating it. What are you bringing to the project beyond amazing ideas and sparkling prose?

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
I really enjoyed seeing that an extended relationship with Charlie has taught Claud and Ivan to try to think the same way. But does intent automagically matter? Because if so, you'd think Charlie would have been dinged for giving Jillian the rifles.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Taerkar posted:

On the other hand there's now a large number of powerful thinkamancers just waiting to be decrypted.

They'll really be loyal this time.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Donkringel posted:

I wonder if linkups change caster upkeep.

Alternatively I see them all just go through their own personal stashes of rands to fuel deiform.

However I like the concept of "1 turn suicide freight train" more than any of the previous ponderings.

I think the problem is that rands are just currency. What you actually need to survive as a free caster is some way to get rations. Which rands are normally good for buying but probably most casters won't want to sell food to the nightmare thing.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
Since Google Reader was killed, I haven't found anything better than running my own Tiny-Tiny-RSS. Worth it, though.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Phenotype posted:

It's not "obsessive" to check a webcomic on the days they advertise as having new comics posted.

Phenotype more like PhenOCDtype

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Android Blues posted:

Developing a procedural 3D city generation engine for your 2D webcomic's art is definitely a...bold...idea...

I mean, drawing establishing shots of cities is a pain. It sucks drawing a thousand tiny boxes with consistent scale and perspective, it's a nightmare that's Escherian in scope. But perhaps the solution might be fewer establishing shots of cities?

Balder's going to be like the Flickr and Slack guy: his webcomic will flame out but the AI he develops to sketch cities will be bought by Facebook for millions and used to generate photo-realistic ads showing your friends being held hostage in some foreign country and you need to send money to the kidnappers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
There's this guy who tries to develop an MMO game but its ambition is way beyond the ability of the little studio he's got. But during development they build a photo-sharing system and even though the game goes nowhere the photo-share system is Flickr and Yahoo buys it for a bunch of money. Then he tries to build some other game that also goes nowhere but during development they make the in-game chat system and even though the game goes nowhere the chat system is Slack and is doing well selling IRC to businesses.

It's like the ultimate Silicon Valley fantasy to "pivot" from some bad business plan into something that suddenly makes you rich. Like, if the Etherium-mining thing had somehow worked out everyone would be talking about how this guy's such a genius -- leverages an aimless webcomic into a billion dollar cryptocoin-mining ring!