Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Didn't King Jetstone say once back in book two that his signamancy shifted to him being so short after he stopped fighting directly on the field for so many turns? It could be something similar for Charlie, like you say, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this honestly doesn't seem any more out of nowhere to me than uncroaking the volcano was back in book 1. The Great Minds were established ages ago, we know that linked casters are a thing, we know that they want to keep Parson under control and weaken Charlie. Just because it wasn't set up immediately before the battle doesn't mean this wasn't set up at all.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I'm wondering if this sort of deal making counts as some kind of natural contract magic and they actually are bound to it now, it isn't a matter of choice?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Plus the Arkentools are all 3D-rendered objects, and the bracer is just drawn, same as everything else.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
As far as I understand things, where "S" is just suspicion:

code:
Does X know that Y?         | Don | Vanna | Bunny | Charlie
-----------------------------------------------------------
That Charlie is watching    |     |   X   |       |   X     
That Bunny is watching      |  X  |       |   X   |   S    
That Don is lying           |  X  |   X   |   X   |   X    
That Vanna's cover is blown |  X  |   S   |   X   |   S     
I don't imagine either Don or Bunny would suspect that Charlie can spy through Vanna since neither's a Thinkamancer, but they might? Charlie's smart enough to assume that Bunny might be, I'm not sure if Vanna would've considered it.

I can't remember if we ever saw if Charlie was explicit about there being prisoners there, that one I'm least sure about, but turning Parson again has to at least be one of Charlie's goals I'd think. Either way though, Vanna'd be stupid to not at least suspect her cover might be blown if she thinks Don might be lying to her.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Carrasco posted:

I think it's less certain that Vanna and Charlie know that Don is lying. I can't remember if Charlie has independent confirmation about the prisoners beyond Vanna's intel, but the giant MK-covering thinkablast thing (along with the technical difficulties Lilith caused him) might have screwed up both his magical and human intelligence about where Parson et al scuttled off to after the fight.

Don't forget about Charlie and Jojo's plot, though, the whole thing with Benjamin; that wouldn't make any sense if Charlie didn't know that Transylvito had Parson.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

NihilCredo posted:

Yeah, if the bracer works like that, I definitely agree with your analysis.

Not sure the bracer does work like that, though. Ben was not 100% certain of Vanna's status as a Charlie agent, yet the bracer told him as much anyway.

Not the bearer's outlook, though; the bearer's knowledge. Ben wasn't certain, but apparently the totality of information that Ben potentially had available to him were he to remember it meant that the likelihood was so high. He just hadn't properly put it together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

nimby posted:

The bracer might or might not consider the calculation itself for its calculating. If it knows that knowing the result will influence the result, it could adjust for that.

I'm not sure if that's actually possible, though. There's no guarantee of that converging to a single value, is there? :v: