Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Krilion posted:

Thank god. The Erfworld forums themselves are pretty terrible, just 12 pages of the exact same speculation and no discussion.

I wonder if bullets pass through a portal?

The explosion did, after all. That's how everyone (At least Marie?) in the MK got injured.

NihilCredo posted:

What *are* gems, anyway? We know that they can be mined, we know they can be converted to and from Schmuckers, and we know that they can be used to transfer cash from one side to the other (Charlie paid Slately with a big gem to finance Tramennis' heirship). Anything else?

I think you summed it up. They're just valuable objects which take the place of money.

You can't just 'mine for schmuckers', you mine for valuables to turn into schmuckers. Gems we know of, though perhaps there's mineral seams which have innate value? Units pop fully armed and armored so marbits, gobwins, and other 'mining' creatures and races don't seem like they'd need to dig for useful metals, so 'gems' seems to be the primary purpose for digging for financial reasons. We've seen multiple instances of 'gems being instantly converted into schmuckers'. Have we seen the opposite? Perhaps it's more like the gems must be BOUGHT with schmuckers, and it isn't an instant conversion?

Jack is, hands down, my favorite character. I love the way he's portrayed as being the jester and the wise man at the same time. The two updates which firmly cemented him as my favorite were these two :

http://archives.erfworld.com/Book+2/78
http://archives.erfworld.com/Book+2/92

khy fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm enjoying the current story but dying of curiosity to find out more about Jed.

The fact that they created a new existence somewhere between a unit and building which has its own sentience is amusing as hell to me, especially since it seems to want to develop rapport with Stanley. It's already given him a bunch of new rockers; I'm dying to know what more he can do with it.

Also my personal thoughts re: Charlie.

Charlie isn't attuned to the Arkendish but is 'cheating' via the use of his tower. The wires, machinery, and everything else is meant to facilitate a 'false' attunement via Charlie's carnymancy. The benefits of the false attunement are obvious with the abilities the dish gives him. The drawbacks are the physical debilitation and possibly addicting nature of the link, and the weakness that the link can be disrupted by destroying the equipment of the tower.

I think Maggie is destined to attune to the dish. The tools ARE coming together. Charlie's death isn't the endgame, bringing all the Arkentools together is and I'm curious where this will all go.

I think that the carnymancers as a whole are working together to try to take over Erfworld, and that they aided Charlie in the creation of his tower (Possibly linked up with the traitor thinkamancer in the judge robes?), and that the endgame will be magic kingdom civil war.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I wonder whether or not Erfworld, as a whole, is sustainable.

Schmuckers in Erfworld behave differently than money in an important way : They can disappear, in the form of upkeep.

The question I wonder is whether or not this means that there's an eventuality where all Schmuckers in the world could dwindle to nothingness. We know that you can raid for schmuckers, steal them, trade them, and so on. But where do they come from originally? How does a side earn schmuckers that don't already exist? Where do new Schmuckers enter the economy?

Paying upkeep can be averted in the short term by 'destructive foraging' but this seems non-renewable (Guessed at by the phrase 'destructive'). We know that Gems can be converted to Schmuckers, and vice versa - mining for gems is one source. But gems, too, are non-renewable. What other sources are there? Are there any sources which can be renewed indefinitely or would the world eventually collapse into an economic black hole?

Perhaps 'economic collapse' the fate of Erfworld much as 'entropic decay' is the fate of the real universe?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Thaddius the Large posted:

I thought gems and the like weren't literally mined, at least not in the "real world" sense, but you assigned dudes to go down to the mines, and gems would magically spawn in the treasury? Charlie seemed to have a similar line of thinking in trying to test various resource exploits with his chicken experiments, but I'm not sure entropy is possible if resources are appearing out of thin air, the laws of thermodynamics aren't particularly applicable on Erf. In other words, when it comes to questions of where schmuckers, gems, food, etc all come from, a wizard did it.

Gems are literally mined; Book 1 goes into a bit of detail there in regards to the tunnels under Gobwin Knob being 'mined out' (Hence non-renewable).

And I wasn't saying Erfworld could suffer from entropic decay, I was likening a possible economic collapse to being their 'inevitability' in the same way that Entropy will be OURS.

But if Schmuckers can be created from thin air in the same way they disappear into thin air, then the possibility of the world eventually bankrupting itself is unlikely.

I was going back and reading through the old text updates. Interesting bit of trivia I didn't know, Vanna and Jojo both used to belong to Unaroyal. Makes me wonder if Jojo's allied himself with Charley due to being fellow carnymancers or if he's working against his side's conquerers out of duty to his former monarch?

khy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 12, 2016

khy
Aug 15, 2005

nimby posted:

It was Claud's, but I don't think they ever established what happens to summoned/created units after the caster dies. It seemed pretty upset when it saw Claud die and had a blue-ish costume, so I assumed it turned over to Charlie as well.

I really, really, really want to know why Janis is doing this. Perhaps I missed it, but I don't recall her direct motives.

What about that 'ultimate peace spell' which would allow Wanda to walk out of the dungeon? Is that still a plan? I thought Janis was in on it, perhaps I'm wrong?

She doesn't even question whether or not the Decrypted would die if Wanda does. So does she know Wanda won't die and is acting because of surveillance? Does she know that the Decrypted won't die? Is she acting on faith alone? Why is she doing all this for Marie, is she in love with Marie or is there something else? Is Marie necessary for the ultimate peace spell?

I've re-read recent updates but I still feel like I'm missing things.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm still wondering about Janis.

Why did Janis go out of her way to get Marie decrypted? I know the two are friends, is there more there we don't yet know about? Did Marie predict this and tell Janis it had to be done? Is Janis aware of the possibility that Decrypted die if Wanda does? Is Janis doing this in an effort to get Wanda released?

I'm also wondering where the real end-game is. I don't feel like Charlie is the end-game, I feel like he's the next big boss but that even once Parson has dealt with Charlie however he is meant to, that there's going to be something more. Something further. GK conquering the world is not outside the realm of possibility but that seems too obvious.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Onmi posted:

This is also a good view on how Charlie sees the playing field. Charlie doesn't make deals he can't benefit from, and he could see that Wanda having half-archons was not something he ever could ever turn to his benefit. In short, the deal is impossible in his mind. And this goes back to what I've said in the past. Charlie's end-goal for Erfworld is not to 'win' it's to 'live' He wants an unbreakable army with unparalleled weapons with absolute loyalty and no chance of leadership stabbing him in the back. That is his Grand Strategic Plan.

Everything we know points towards immortality being his endgame, and I'd bet that he rigged his own death like Jojo rigged Sylvia's. With Parson being the one destined to take him down I'd bet the deal is something like "He can not be croaked by any unit of erfworld".

khy
Aug 15, 2005

isndl posted:

The action figure may also still be alive? There's seven dead Archons and seven string dolls in the center panel.

I suspect Isaac did that on purpose, so that Charlie could watch his beloved Archons keel over like the stringless puppets they now are.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Onmi posted:

That's a massive gain. Guns and Archons for decryption. Charlie can send more Archons in, but is he going to want to?

Getting the pliers back to Wanda for decryption, that's going to take some work.

Zoe posted:

...is the doll still alive? Charlie's still watching all this?

We think the doll is still alive as there were 7 'figures' made out of strings whose strings were cut and there were 7 archons present, but if it's alive it's at the bottom of the cart so the only things that'd be seen are the archons toppling over. The rest is out of sight.

khy fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Edit : Ehhhh, nevermind.

khy fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 17, 2019