Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder where the plot can even go from here, assuming Parson does manage to get away from this with a bunch of money + Charlie's guns. Charlie will no longer be nearly as big of a threat, and there's no real current threat out there other than Charlie. The one thing that comes to mind as a possibility is the entire magic kingdom becoming their enemy (due to Jojo making them believe Gobwin Knob croaked the casters), but casters are only really strong enough to take on a large side like GK when combined with an army of regular units.

I unironically think Stanley is the best character in this comic and that Jed will help him become a more "mellow," well-rounded person. The comic often portrays him as really incompetent, but that's only when compared with the greatest minds in all of Erfworld like Parson or Charlie. It's easy to forget that he's actually a very competent battle commander, even if he isn't that good with more large-scale strategy. It's not a coincidence that he attuned to the arkenhammer and ended up climbing up as high as he did from such a low starting position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Parson needs to explain to Wanda that her actions are also factored into Fate/the future and that there's no reason for her to actively try to reach some Fateful outcome. Unless she thinks that Fate is so weak that her own actions can prevent its preordained outcomes. I don't mind having her as a character who is obsessed with the concept of Fate, but the way she goes about things seems really dumb.

One thing that kind of surprised me is how Charlie was apparently taken by total surprise (and almost croaked as a result) when Wanda/Maggie attacked him while he was invading the decrypted archon's mind. I had assumed that Charlie, with his access to all the thinkamancy-stuff related to the Arkendish, would be aware that Wanda might be able to control her decrypted troops. But I guess it's possible that, even though he has access to many thinkamancy-related functions through the Dish, he doesn't actually understand all the G-string stuff that actual thinkamancers do.

That being said, I'm happy he was. Characters who are always on top of things and anticipate everything are kind of boring, so it's nice to see Charlie just gently caress up and overlook something.

nimby posted:

So this is a pretty resounding victory for GK. Charlie's going to have repaired his Dish connection by the time GK can mount a non-Magic Kingdom attack, and attacking Charlie through that portal seems idiotic.

So either the story will keep on meandering with attacking Charlie as an end-goal, or it'll be pretty much over. Unless they revisit GK versus the world as in the first book.

I'm kind of mixed on how this might be dealt with. On one hand, Charlie isn't nearly as intimidating now that GK will also be able to produce the same weapons and is in a stable financial position. But, as you said, Charlie will still be able to repair his base and Dish connection before an offensive can be mounted, and all his archons and ridiculous sci-fi base with AA guns (that I imagine would make short work of Stanley's dwagons) still represent a big hurdle. It's just that the hurdle will be less interesting.

I think that it's likely that there might be some repercussions if GK/Parson manages to defeat Charlie. Charlie was allowed to be so powerful primarily because he offered services to all the other factions, but GK doesn't really have the same advantage. While Parson is attempting to remedy this by forming alliances, it's not hard to imagine why a huge portion of the rest of the world would want to ally against him (and I imagine the Magic Kingdom also mostly being against GK).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 6, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sefer posted:

I don't think you get Wanda's philosophy. She doesn't think Fate can be prevented, it's just that most of life isn't Fated one way or another and Fate doesn't particularly care how Fated events come to pass, just that they do. She believes that anyone trying to avoid Fated events will suffer, and people trying to bring about Fated events won't. Trying to fight Fate is both futile and painful, therefore she tries to take the easy path towards something that's Fated instead.

Ah, that makes sense. It would explain why she is willing to do a bunch of dumb/bold stuff; she's under the assumption that she literally can't fail.

Also, someone mentioned Parson being a Signamancer, but I don't think that's the case. It's just that he effectively has some of the abilities of a Signamancer due to his knowledge of how to interpret all the real-Earth symbolism present in Erfworld. I don't think he's a caster of any kind (since as was also explained, the only reason he could cast the scroll was because its rules were changed to allow non-casters to use it).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is that blood on Parson or mud from the ground? Can't tell the difference between red and brown/green sometimes since I'm color-blind. If it is blood, whose is it? I don't think it showed him being shot or anyone bleeding near where he fell.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

reignonyourparade posted:

There is also his instinctual understanding of signamancy (because references) which is a branch of hippiemancy.

I'm not sure I AGREE but there is more than JUST Janis calling him a hippiemancer one time.

Being capable of understanding magic doesn't seem to mean you're a caster, though, what with all the "natural ____mancy" stuff that various units have. Parson effectively has a sort of natural understanding of Signamacy due to his Earth origin.

I just finished the prequel book and it was really interesting and very relevant. I was always wondering what was up with Jillian/Wanda and it's good to know their history.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So far the decrypted Archons have been pretty badass. Even though they're still just as brainwashed as they were under the influence of the Arkendish, they somehow come off as more...heroic, for lack of a better word. It's probably mostly because they're being switched to an underdog side, while with Charlie they're almost always in an advantageous position.

By the way, am I correct in thinking that Charlie being all decrepid is due to that poison Olive Branch gave him that forcibly attempted to un-attune him from the Arkendish? It seemed to be at the very least heavily implied, but I wasn't sure. If so that at least answers why he looks so terrible, since we've previously been told that peoples' Signamancy directly correlates with how influential/powerful/protected by fate/whatever they are, so it seemed weird for someone as important as Charlie to look so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Erev posted:

I'm disappointed. The Thinkamancer thing seems rather pulled from the rear end. They grey/unpainted casters could at least be explained and would probably have given us an early-Erf info dump which would have been awesome.

I don't really mind. It has been established that 1. the Thinkamancers as a whole are a very significant power within the Magic Kingdom (actually possibly the greatest single, unified power) and 2. most of them care very strongly about making sure Parson is around to defeat Charlie.

The one thing that bugs me about this whole recent conflict, though, is that it seems like most of the random Magic Kingdom casters were just shooting Shockamancy at Parson and company. I would have expected them to be able to gently caress over the Gobwin Knob troops far more through the use of their disciplines. Then again, Fate is probably involved and no casting can really do anything about that (except for Carnymancy, sorta, though even that can just change the conditions of an outcome).