Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

khy posted:

I wonder whether or not Erfworld, as a whole, is sustainable.

Schmuckers in Erfworld behave differently than money in an important way : They can disappear, in the form of upkeep.

The question I wonder is whether or not this means that there's an eventuality where all Schmuckers in the world could dwindle to nothingness. We know that you can raid for schmuckers, steal them, trade them, and so on. But where do they come from originally? How does a side earn schmuckers that don't already exist? Where do new Schmuckers enter the economy?

Paying upkeep can be averted in the short term by 'destructive foraging' but this seems non-renewable (Guessed at by the phrase 'destructive'). We know that Gems can be converted to Schmuckers, and vice versa - mining for gems is one source. But gems, too, are non-renewable. What other sources are there? Are there any sources which can be renewed indefinitely or would the world eventually collapse into an economic black hole?

Perhaps 'economic collapse' the fate of Erfworld much as 'entropic decay' is the fate of the real universe?

I thought gems and the like weren't literally mined, at least not in the "real world" sense, but you assigned dudes to go down to the mines, and gems would magically spawn in the treasury? Charlie seemed to have a similar line of thinking in trying to test various resource exploits with his chicken experiments, but I'm not sure entropy is possible if resources are appearing out of thin air, the laws of thermodynamics aren't particularly applicable on Erf. In other words, when it comes to questions of where schmuckers, gems, food, etc all come from, a wizard did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Fair enough, I guess it's been too long since I read Book 1. The more you know!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
It's also nice to see just how far Stanley has come since his days of resenting and being jealous of Parson. He may not understand or even like him, but he appreciates just how drat valuable Parson is.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Carrasco posted:

That's definitely true, which is why it's surprising she's going for Don first. Maybe Charles figures that since Gobwin Knob and Transylvito are the only two sides who have actually gotten their hands on guns, he can still do some amount of damage control by getting Transylvito under his thumb (without going in guns blazing). And it's certainly true that if he manages to use Turnamancy on a king somehow, he's got the prisoners.

Although I'm not sure that "Turnamancy on a king" is a concept that even makes sense, which is probably why the update that talked about her coming over mentioned "espionage and seduction stuff", which is basically Turnamancy without even using magic.

It doesn't have to make sense when Charlie's Carneymancey is in the mix as well, it's the ultimate deus ex fuckyouina.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Plus we already had a big trial, Wanda was even involved with it. Could be fun, but I don't know we'd see or learn all that much from it especially when interesting things are happening elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Checked the latest strip and, for the first time ever, scrolled down to the comments. Hoooooooooooly poo poo