Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I don't know why you would think that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I really like the movie but I loving hated the end. Sending someone into a crowd of people who have been killing left and right, whether or not they are Indians, is not leaving vengeance in the hands of god. It's asking someone else to do your murdering for you. It's really annoying after the Pawnee man mentioned that it was the Sioux who killed his family. Native Americans are not some other-worldly people with a mystical bond to nature, they're people and up until that point this movie did a good job illustrating that.

Also, the RLM guys had a good point that when you looked at Leo you saw a man trying so so hard to make you see that he's ACTING. When you looked at Tom Hardy, you just thought that he was a scary loving old westerner.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
It would've been amazing if this movie had the balls to have Glass let Fitzgerald live after that brutal fight.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
The Revenant does not have balls.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Judakel posted:

Did Leo cut them off like he threatened?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Skeesix posted:

Did Leo cut them off like he threatened?

I will cut mine off if it just keeps him from getting that Oscar he so desperately wants.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm sure that will affect Mr. DiCaprio more than it will affect you.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Leo will scream in delight

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

This is all he does.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Judakel posted:

This is all he does.

You still don't get it, do you? He'll scream! That's what he does! That's ALL he does! You can't stop him! He'll wade through you, reach down your throat and rip your loving balls out!

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

Judakel posted:

drat. I was just about to post that this movie and Bone Tomahawk gave me some hope for the potential of a Blood Meridian film actually being a thing.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree or something

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DoctorG0nzo posted:

drat. I was just about to post that this movie and Bone Tomahawk gave me some hope for the potential of a Blood Meridian film actually being a thing.

God I hope Blood Meridian never gets made.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I think I would have liked it more if it was edited differently and was less reliant on the classic introductions and conclusions, but it was still god. Probably the best shot movie in years..what Malick wanted Tree of Life to be.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sean Gunn's Revenant audition tape:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1DGmhmB33c

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

straight up brolic posted:

Probably the best shot movie in years..what Malick wanted Tree of Life to be.

Probably not, actually.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Finally got around to seeing this and thought it was a gorgeous film with a fantastic performance by Tom Hardy. There were definitely some rough spots in the story that stopped it from being the best film of the year for me.

My biggest disappointment was how black and white they made the act of abandonment which sets the whole tone of the story. In the novel, Bridger and Fitzgerald were forced to abandon him because they really did see Ree's and of course his son wasn't murdered so the whole revenge story was really about Fitzgerald taking his gun & pack. Even though the abandonment was less "evil", Glass had an even more insane hatred for both Bridger and Fitz. The result was that you almost didn't want Glass to ever find them because the murderous revenge he fantasized over never felt right. This moral ambiguity was dropped in the film by making Fitzgerald a mustache twirling bad guy right off the bat.

Still a great movie. I just really wished they did more of a straight adaptation like No Country for Old Men rather than veer off in a different direction.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Saw this a week or two ago, was very impressed, the cinema was packed with very old people whom thought it would be like the westerns of there youth, their expressions upon leaving the screening will stay with me for awhile.

Visually this film was stunning, and it had an engaging opening. I thought it ran on a little to long, well more than a little long actually. But the Indian depictions were quite refreshing though a few of those hallucinations/dream sequences were more than a little silly. Still the film did have an important message, and its one I think we can all get behind never trust a Frenchman.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
So, it seems that I interpreted this movie differently than everyone else.

I think Glass literally died after Fitzgerald and Bridger left him. And that in the second half of the movie, he is a full on, legit crazy ghost, bent on revenge and fueled by hate. That he claws his way back into life, then up the food chain, and finally back into civilisation. That he was sent back by nature to make Fitzgerald pay for his crime. This goes a long way to explaining why he healed so quickly (walking on a broken ankle days after the injury), and didn't die from things that would have killed a normal human (falling off a cliff on your horse). He's already dead.

Fitzgerald tells a story about how his father once went into the woods, got lost, then killed and ate a squirrel, and he uses that as rationalisation for leaving Glass: you need to do what's necessary to survive in the wilderness. But I think he misinterpreted the lesson. His father did what was necessary, and natural: killed for sustenance. Fitzgerald murdered a child and left a man to die of exposure (so two murders), for no other reason than selfishness. He doesn't even give either of them a proper burial. If you take the Indians as "nature personified" (trite I know, but I didn't write the movie), then stabbing Hawk was literally a crime against nature. So Glass is sent back from the dead to satisfy both his own revenge, and to bring nature's justice for Hawk.

The Indians shown in the movie seem to know this. The Ree chase him out of the woods, making it clear that the undead have no place in nature. Powaqa trusts him as soon as he shows up, she knows his goal is elsewhere and means her no harm. The Indians in the settlement react differently to his return than the white men, they aren't shocked, and they don't even whisper among themselves. They know they aren't seeing Hugh Glass' miraculous return against all odds, they are seeing a dead man returning to haunt his killer.

The lone Pawnee he meets I'm not sure on. He is one of three things: a) He recognises Glass for what he is, and decides to help, knowing that his ultimate target is a white man somewhere, b) He is a ghost himself, hung days earlier by the French trappers, and helps Glass due to shared interests, or c) He was hung by the French, and Glass hallucinated all of his help. I think a) is the least likely, because obviously he knows his way around the wilderness, and so it doesn't make sense that he would set up camp a stone's throw from the French trappers.

And so at the climax, he fights Fitzgerald, and bests him despite sustaining several major injuries, and then floats him down the stream. Someone said that leaving him to the Indians was the same as killing him himself and I think that's the point. He was sent back from the dead to bring Fitzgerald to justice, which he does, by turning him over to nature to have his sentence carried out. The Indians kill Fitzgerald, and leave Glass unmolested, because they too know what he is. They know he's accomplished his goal, and that he no longer has any reason to be in this world. The final shot isn't Leo staring at the audience, it's the spark going out, Glass is dead for good now.

He even says it himself at one point: "I ain't afraid to die anymore. I done it already."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
So your saying, the bear . . was a vampire??

• Locked thread