Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I've always had trouble sleeping, a few years back I started listening to audiobooks instead of reading/gaming before bed, which helps a lot. I just set the volume to just loud enough to understand and a 30 minute timer, and then rewind the book half an hour in the morning because I probably forgot almost all that I listened to. My brother has always listened to music or TV to sleep apparently - he used to keep a cassette radio under his pillow and I could never figure it out. But for some resaon, I've found that a quiet audio stream in the background seems to help keep me from lying in bed and thinking about whatever is most on my mind - I can spend all night thinking about how I need to go buy de-mosser for my roof, and then be too tired from lying there thinking circularly about it, to really think it's a good idea to get up on the roof the next day.

edit: music doesn't put me to sleep, often a song stuck in my head ends up being why I can't sleep, and when I'm reading I usually have to turn off the lights etc and then arrange the pillows so I don't sleep leaning against the backboard and wake up hurting, and sometimes ya just can't put a book down. :blush:

Sometimes I still can't sleep, sometimes I get engrossed in the book too much to nod off, but it's been pretty helpful for me, and with headphones or earbuds I've learned to fall asleep in cars after 30 years of not being able to do so.

Also I've had luck visualizing something soothing, and then sort of hypnotizing myself to sleep by picturing something in my mind like a painting on a black wall in a dark room, and then slowly visualize looking deeper and moving closer through layers of dark on dark and then I wake up the next morning. I learned it in some self-hypnosis tape that a old roommate of mine left after moving, but I find that forcing my mind to blank by focusing on an image can do the trick.

I drink a lot of caffeinated tea all day and into the evening, but it doesn't jack with my sleep and wake cycle like coffee does, I hate caffeine withdrawl headaches and feeling like poo poo without that first daily cuppa coffee, and I don't get that with tea.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

galahan posted:

Sleeping on your left side is supposed to put some sort of miniscule extra weight/load on your heart, your mileage may vary or it could be a myth, but maybe that's why you can feel your pulse.

Back or right side for me.
My GP recommended sleeping on the left side if you have heartburn and/or acid reflux issues while sleeping. So yeah, some miniscule amount of "extra weight on your heart" sounds like bullshit.

I used to use a fan to sleep to, it does help a lot once you get used to it.

Never have figured out how to kill ear-worm songs in my head when I'm trying to sleep, except to not drink or :420: at all for like 24+ hours. If you cut off entirely then actually stay active enough to be tired, you'll likely fall asleep immediately, sleep for longer periods, and also have super vivid dreams. If you try to knock yourself out with drugs or drink, it's a losing scenario - you'll probably wake up every couple hours, and also feel like poo poo the next day.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I really can't read and fall asleep (unless I literally just read until I fall asleep with the book on my chest, and since I usually use a back pillow to read, I wake up all torqued up and sore in a bunch of ways), because I tend to get too engrossed in the book and lie there thinking about it all night or I just turn the lights back on and read until sun-up or the book's done.. It's usually a lose-lose whichever way the dice land.

I can easily fall asleep while reading, but again, I don't like passing out with my book/kindle open or on the bed next to me, and I'm usually propped up on pillows while I'm reading in bed so I feel like hell the next morning.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I've got anxiety which often leads to pseudo-obsessive thoughts running circles in my brain when I can't sleep. Considering you were out of your element (I've been to Florida, I can't imagine how much of a culture shock that would be for a canuck!) and probably physically and/or mentally exhausted, you probably were just naturally falling asleep like normal people do. If I spend all day digging post-holes or studying hard for an exam or something else that wears me out, I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.

For real, try taking a long walk or doing something else physically tiring before you crash for the night (I've got a dog so long night walks are rad, we both enjoy them) or just carbo-pile by eating a load of pasta or something in the evening.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah, just don't turn them up too loud, or get too engrossed. I've spent an entire night listenign to an audiobook just like I've done when i got hooked on a novel I was reading.

If you really wanna go to sleep stick to non-fiction, and probabyl alot of non-history as well. I've got a book on sustainability in built environments that can knock me out at 11am after a pot of coffee - I can only hear the author :fap: about the 60s and how their family's home is ever-so-sustainable. Unfortunately it's a textbook so I am gonna be quizezed on the content.. I wish one of the multi-choice answers could be :awesome: :fap: :420: because that's pretty much the whole loving thing in a nutshell.

Something like The March of the Ten Thousand by Xenophon is pretty good sleepy-time though, or books you've already read before so you don't get *too* interested in them. I recommend The Black Count although if you've never come across hte material befoer it may accidentally become riveting and keep you awake all night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ciaphas posted:

As a rule, do drugs like Benadryl and Unisom actually improve sleep in and of themselves or just help with falling asleep in the first place?
In my experience it depends entirely on personal chemistry. I regularly get amped up and jittery off on nyquil but dayquil knocks me out like a light if I stop for a few minutes and close my eyes. They're also really hard on your liver/kidneys. If you're the kind of person who gets amped up after one beer, or who wants to get out on the dance floor after one vicodein, yeah, expect the opposite (or no noticeable) effect from benadryl from what the side-effects claim.

I've never taken actual prescription sleeping aids but almost every time I go to the store and read the side effects, I can translate "drowsiness" to "gets woke the gently caress up and kinda crazy" and vice-versa. I'd never try to take benadryl as a sleeping aid, for me it's basically low-grade meth.

• Locked thread