Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Haskell9 posted:

The only way I'd ever take Ambien again is if I had someone handcuff me to the bed and hide the key. I kept waking up with some combination of being naked, being outside and/or having done truly bizarre things. One time I stripped nude and grabbed an 18-count egg carton, then ran outside and circled my car pelting it with the eggs. I woke up lying in a bush in the woods outside my yard cuddling the empty carton like an infant. My feet were cut and bruised from walking/running barefoot on gravel and I had (of course) no memory of anything. When I emerged from the woods and saw my car I realized where the eggs had gone.

Another time I removed my PC's keyboard and mouse and put them in the freezer. Another time I woke up hiding in the closet with a massive bruise on my forehead. Another time I buttered a pair of my shoes inside and out, doing a fine and meticulous job of it at that. Another time I sharpied my elbows and knees completely black. Another time I woke up in a neighbor's yard with his dog licking my face. Judging by the taste in my mouth and the bits in my beard I had been eating the dog's food but at least I wasn't naked because wearing only a shirt and socks counts as not being naked.

Beware the walrus!

Why did you keep taking ambien? Did you take it right before you got into bed to go to sleep? It often causes problems for people who take it and think they can stay up until it "kicks in", assuming that the medication will make them fall asleep regardless.

Sleeping medication doesn't actually make you fall asleep; it makes it easier to fall asleep and then helps prevent waking for a few hours. If you take it while awake and active, the effects the drug has while you are unconscious are still there, but you are aren't unconscious - thus the parts of the brain used for executive functioning and to form memories are prevented from functioning, but you are still awake. That's why I don't get the appeal of recreational use of ambien - you won't remember what you did, and the part of your brain that understands consequences (such as "if I walk on train tracks when a train is coming, I will die") doesn't work.

However, ambien in particular will cause some people to have crazy reactions regardless, much like some people have sleepwalking episodes.

Enfys fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Fargo Fukes posted:

Try to think about what a dog thinks about when it lies down to sleep.

Have I spun around in a circle enough?

• Locked thread