Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I worked a graveyard shift for 5 years which meant my sleep quality was poo poo no matter when I laid down.

Two things kind of helped me out though. The first was advice from Dale Carnegie's How To Stop Worrying and Start Living which has an entire chapter on insomnia. If you're awake in bed, you're awake so you might as well get up and do something. That's not to say you should spend the whole night awake, but if you lay down and you might as well have had a cup of coffee go ahead and do something for a half hour. Also, one of the big contributing factors to insomnia is ironically worrying about insomnia. If all you can think about is how your tomorrow is ruined because you're only going to get 5 hours of sleep, you're going to end up on 3 hours of sleep. You have to remind yourself that you've functioned perfectly well in the past on low-to-no sleep and you'll just catch a catnap sometime tomorrow and you'll be just fine. As long as you can get X amount of sleep tonight you'll be fine.

The other thing that helped was owning cats. Cats will enforce their sleep schedule on you. They have an excellent sense of timing and have been waking me up an hour before my alarm like clockwork for over a year. It's chaotic at first because they made my schedule a lot harder to enforce but once we settled into a rhythm it actually works out. They have a set bedtime so I just have to go to sleep when they go to sleep which is between 8PM-11PM. If I'm already asleep at that point they don't bug me, but if I'm awake and doing stuff they stay up with me and coerce me into playing with them.

They also keep you from moving around too much. They crawl on your lap, in the crook of your arm, or between your legs to go to bed so if you're laying down you'll subconsciously do anything you can not to disturb them. Even when you're half-awake and drifting in and out and you think about tossing and turning you'll instinctively choose not to since it would disturb Professor Kiki-Mow-Mow's slumber. This is a double-edged sword though since they'll trap you when you actually do want to get up and move. Pizza guy's here? Sorry, the cat just nuzzled its head across my wrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread