Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I am the absolute worst at sleeping. I often wind up lying in bed for hours before finally nodding off, half the time I can't find a comfortable position to lie in to save my life, and if dreams are at all relevant I rarely have them - it's not me not remembering them because the few nights I do have one I know it. What am I doing wrong?

In addition, I've heard various dos and don'ts about what you shouldn't do X hours before going to bed, no eating, no artificial light, no using your bedroom for anything else during the day, etc; how much of this is true and how much is wives-tale pseudoscience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm hesitant to rely on medication but I'll certainly try cutting back on late night computer use (I say, replying to this on a computer late at night :v:). Does anyone have advice on posture? Most nights I'm tossing and turning until I pass out. I think prefer to sleep on my side in that I get restless on my back but then I never know what to do with my lower arm. I'd feel most at home on my stomach except for, y'know, the whole suffocation thing. :v:

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 29, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

My favourite thing about this thread is how it seems to get a reply nightly at the perfect time to remind me that I should be trying to sleep instead of browsing SA. :v:

I've been somewhat lovely at sleep due to lazyness and bad habits for a while but it's only been as bad as it has been lately recently (what a phrase), and even that I think is just me getting even lazier. I'm still glad I asked because I got a lot of good advice and satisfied my curiosity, as well as spurring a bit of discussion, so thanks again to everyone for all the replies. :)

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Thursday Next posted:

The craziest thing is - even with all our knwledge of drugs and anesthesia effects, we can't induce actual sleep. Even medically-induced comas don't really put us to sleep.

Somehow this doesn't surprise me. :v: It should, but it seems that sleep in general is really mystifying to modern science. Dreams and yawning, afaik, are also black boxes as such with our current knowledge.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Goodpancakes posted:

This is a serious question: how big is your neck. Actually measure it.

Do you snore?

What, from chin to torso?

Nope.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Goodpancakes posted:

Circumference, from under the chin around the neck back to under the chin

Oh. I'll have to get back to you on that one, I'm (funnily enough) off to bed for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Does just snoring really mean it's likely you have sleep apnea?

I'm assuming it's at least a symptom that makes it worth checking just in case.

Oh right I'm the OP aren't I? Thanks for all the continued advice, I'm a bit surprised this thread still lives. I'm fairly certain I don't snore and once I'm asleep I sleep relatively well. Just a matter of getting there. :v: I'm sleeping better in general, really, but I may as well leave this thread open for general discussion of sleep advice.

• Locked thread