Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maporfic
Dec 11, 2015
Why sleep when you can, instead, start a late night social club. The first rule is you can't talk about it. The second rule is you can't talk about it...

My mind races at night, often robbing me of sleep. Personally, I read these forums on my smartphone while laying in bed, especially some of the long ask/tell posts. If I really can't sleep I take a couple Benadryl.

In the past I'd spend some time with the Ambien Walrus (yes it's a thing, Google it for a good laugh). Nothing wrong with using something to help establish a sleep pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015

Enfys posted:

Why did you keep taking ambien? Did you take it right before you got into bed to go to sleep? It often causes problems for people who take it and think they can stay up until it "kicks in", assuming that the medication will make them fall asleep regardless.

Sleeping medication doesn't actually make you fall asleep; it makes it easier to fall asleep and then helps prevent waking for a few hours. If you take it while awake and active, the effects the drug has while you are unconscious are still there, but you are aren't unconscious - thus the parts of the brain used for executive functioning and to form memories are prevented from functioning, but you are still awake. That's why I don't get the appeal of recreational use of ambien - you won't remember what you did, and the part of your brain that understands consequences (such as "if I walk on train tracks when a train is coming, I will die") doesn't work.

However, ambien in particular will cause some people to have crazy reactions regardless, much like some people have sleepwalking episodes.

I was thinking the same thing. After egging my car and waking up naked in the woods, could be... you should stop taking the medication? Could be? Maybe? Reactions like that are rare. My mom quit taking Ambien after my dad caught her sleep walking and putting the toaster in the fridge. However, after hearing about it I wanted to try it for myself as well. I've always enjoyed playing pranks on my wife and freaking her out by sleepwalking the television into the bathtub or something would really satiate my sense of humor. No joy on that account, but I do enjoy a deep and refreshing slumber on Ambien. I also experience a mild calm euphoria shortly before falling asleep and for several hours upon waking.

• Locked thread