Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!
I've seldom had much trouble falling asleep, overall, though I do find some things helpful.

Darker is Better: When I was growing up, I always had a nightlight just to avoid tripping and falling and to stop little Pesty from being scared. I started finding it a bit distracting and switched to just dark mode. I'll cover the windows and cracks with tinfoil, place things in front of light sources, and even make sure the room outside wherever I'm trying to sleep is suitably dark so there's no light from under the door.

White Noise: I use a fan to block out all other noise. I've tried various nature sounds, ocean things, and I find them distracting. If I can focus my hearing on something (like waves), I'll focus my hearing on it and it's no good. Solid fan sound works. I think that's the most important piece. I'm also weird in the sense that I can hear my eye moving around and my heartbeat in my left ear. Drowning that out stops me from going crazy.

Avoid Sleeping on Back: I find I have worse dreams when I sleep on my back and don't get as restful of a night. Side sleeping works best for me, with my left ear on the pillow.

Sleeping Partner: I also am immensely comforted by having my partner in bed with me, so long as I can reach out and touch with an arm or a leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread