Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

PirateDentist posted:

I have one of those! I use it with a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock. I use a 20F sleeping bag like a topquilt and I've been down to about 22F and windy and been perfectly warm. Had to get some better shockcord that loops over the ridgeline to keep the wind from pushing it from under me.

I really like hammock camping. Easy set up, quick takedown, comfortable as gently caress. No rocks in the back or cold ground.

Cons:
  • Single person only, no sharing a big sleeping bag if that's a factor for you.
  • No enclosed space for clothes changing/gear.
  • You're dependent on trees to hang from.
  • Much more enclosed in a cold weather setup. If you're used to tiny backpacking tents this may not be a problem, but I had a bit of claustrophobia when I first used one. (Like, an actual panic attack and had to sleep in the car the first night. I got better.)

I can attest to PirateDentist's enjoyment of his hammock. When we go camping together I am often jealous of the way he floats lightly above the hard cold ground covered in rocks and debris while the rest of us are earthbound, forced to endure mother nature's freezing, jagged embrace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread