Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Retarded Pimp posted:

Or you could use an underquilt. It's kind of like a sleeping bag for the underside of the hammock held on with shock cords. I have a Arrowhead New River synthetic and have been down to about 30F with a generic sleeping bag on top. Muuuch more comfortable than a closed cell pad, plus warmer, pads only keep you warm where they're under you. Have wider shoulders than your pad or slip off the pad while sleeping? You gonna get cold.
If you want to hammock camp in anything under 70F, buy or make an underquilt out of a sleeping bag. You won't regret it.

Between the hammock, tarp fly and underquilt, you're not going to see a big drop in pack weight or size, if any at all. What you do get is not sleeping on the ground and a better nights sleep, at least for me anyway. Ymmv.

Yeah, everything he said. Some hammock tents now have a double layer of fabric so that you can slip an insulating layer between. You can also use a close fitting cover over the bug screen to hold in warmth. I've got a Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym, with their full supershelter setup, and I've slept comfortably at below freezing temperatures with just a 40 degree bag inside. The main advantages to hammock camping are ease of setup/takedown, comfort while sleeping, and that they get you off the ground. If you get into gazillion dollar custom ultralight rigs, you can get some weight savings, but not a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

TouchyMcFeely posted:

...and just like that, Yukon Hammocks and rainflys are back on sale at woot.

http://sport.woot.com/plus/yukon-outfitters-hammocks-17?ref=sp_cnt_wp_3

Those are surprisingly nice hammocks. I've picked up a bunch of them over the past couple years and given them out as starter gifts for family and friends to get started with hammock camping. Several of them are still kicking after 2-3 years of use.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

extra stout posted:

thanks to guy who posted the link, ozzie which tree straps do you use? i was pretty pumped to buy that mosquito net one but the comment says it doesn't come with straps, gotta check how much a decent pair will cost me before i click the button

Honestly, I've mostly used the multiple sets of tree straps I've picked up from Hennessy Hammocks over the years. I've had a Expedition Asym for years and picked up different length straps for it and swapped 'em out with other hammocks. I just picked up a set of Atlas straps this summer, but only got to use them once. They were fairly easy, but a lot heavier, and not that much easier given the weight and space difference. I just picked up a DutchWare buckle system thing of some kind that I have no idea how to set up yet, but it's supposed to be the bee's knees. I gotta look that poo poo up on YouTube sometime.

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 13, 2016

• Locked thread