Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I'd also like to ditch the pads, but I've heard that things can get cold in a hammock and you'd need one for this reason even tho you're off the ground. That would blow.

Or you could use an underquilt. It's kind of like a sleeping bag for the underside of the hammock held on with shock cords. I have a Arrowhead New River synthetic and have been down to about 30F with a generic sleeping bag on top. Muuuch more comfortable than a closed cell pad, plus warmer, pads only keep you warm where they're under you. Have wider shoulders than your pad or slip off the pad while sleeping? You gonna get cold.
If you want to hammock camp in anything under 70F, buy or make an underquilt out of a sleeping bag. You won't regret it.

Between the hammock, tarp fly and underquilt, you're not going to see a big drop in pack weight or size, if any at all. What you do get is not sleeping on the ground and a better nights sleep, at least for me anyway. Ymmv.

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

PirateDentist posted:

I have one of those! I use it with a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock.
That's my main setup too, along with a Kelly Noah's Tarp 12', the Noah's is great since it has places in all the right spots to make it fold into doors or use a stick to turn it into a giant vestibule. It packs big and heavy, so between that, the WBBB and the UQ, there's not as much room left for other stuff as I'd like.
I have a Yukon Outfitters Mosquito Hammock and Walkabout rain fly with some Atlas straps and a Nature Hike LW180bag that literally take up half the space and use that with the UQ if space is or the temp isn't too much of a concern.

GlyphGryph posted:

If you're doing the rain cover aren't you basically just bringing a big tent and putting a hammock under it? I don't see how that would end up being lighter or taking up less room than a tent, or how it would require less set up?

Pretty much, the biggest deciding issue to me anyway is if you want to sleep on the uncomfortable ground or hang in the gently rocking bliss of a hammock. They both have their own pros & cons. If you're with a few other people it's probably more efficient to use a big tent and share pack space.

Edit:
Wow, I like this. Making your own UQ out of a snugpak jungle blanket.
http://theoutdoorreview.com/snugpak-jungle-blanket-as-a-hammock-underquilt/

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 1, 2016

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

all my hiking buddies are attractive, single women
Tent

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

I sort of regret not getting a double bottomed hammock. I cannot stay on a pad for any length of time, so I am looking at under-quilts. I tend to sleep with my legs drawn up most of the time, so I am thinking a 3/4 quilt might work, but it would suck to spend the money and discover I am wrong.

Is there a place online to buy used hiking/camping stuff? My local craigslist is kinda crap and I don't trust ebay for anything over like ten bucks.

You might try the hammock forums for sale board.
https://hammockforums.net/forum/content.php

extra stout posted:

amazon had a ton of brands of these on sale for 30 bucks shipped with ropes and ties and poo poo included, but they all seemed like the same design with different brands stitched onto the same factory hammock

Yea, for a cheap one I usually recommend that $25 blue outdoor hammock at Walmart coupled with some Atlas straps and climbing carabiners. I've been using that as my indoor hang almost daily for about a year with no problems.

quote:

i dont give a gently caress about pads or warmth, but i do worry about bugs and rain, anyone have a real cheap recommendation for one with a built in rain cover? having to tie a huge tent over your hammock seems dumb, there isn't one that just zips up on top like a water resistant sleeping bag in the air?
Do you mean something like a cross between a hammock & a bivy sack?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Uekyq posted:

Not gonna lie, that'd be loving cool.

A quick Googling shows a Kickstart vapor ware, one that leaks and this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Lawson-Hammock-Blue-Ridge-Camping/dp/B002QZXV5S

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

extra stout posted:

i dont know what a bivy sack is, honestly i just want a cheap hammock with a tarp that secures over it so i dont wake up with animals or water or bird poo poo, crazy to think that these people arent ahead of me on this idea and everybody puts 10 feet of wood and tent poles and poo poo in their backpack

might have to do some inventing of my own

A bivy sack is kind of like a cross between a sleeping bag and a one man tent.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bivouac_sack

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Two years ago I did a week on the AT and I had serious sliding downwards problems in my Blackbird. I'd set the foot end 6" higher and I'd still slide downward. So last year I went with a tent setup and a Neoair Xtherm. I ended up sliding around inside the tent like a zamboni every night.

I loved the hiking but I dreaded getting into camp each afternoon because I just couldn't sleep comfortably. Maybe I should've hiked longer and gotten more tired?

Did you lay diagonally?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I used the rainfly last year on a trip with no problem, it's a bit small for something like the big 11ft Blackbird, but it fits the mosquito hammock just fine. Some zing-it cord, line locks, and Dutch flys make for a quick setup.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Yea, Atlas straps are easy and work pretty good, get some climbing carabiners and you're good to go.
That's what I'm hanging from right now along with an Equip outdoor hammock from walmart.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

turevidar posted:

do you not have a bed

Yes, and a hammock too.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

PirateDentist posted:

Indoor hammock in the summer is great. A nice cool shower then into the hammock is awesome on a hot night.

I live in Phoenix, so outdoor hammock when it's 110 outside is not really a sane option.
Outdoor anything in a Phoenix summer isn't sane, now's the time to go out and do stuff there. Where the hell do you hang from around there? Saguaro aren't exactly tree strap friendly.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Crazyeyes posted:

I love my hammock. Use a Grand Trunk Skeeter-Beater which has a built in bug net, is well constructed, and super comfy.

Still trying to figure out the underquilt thing. I got one from DD hammocks and found myself quite cold most of the night. Not sure if I set it up incorrectly, but I was less than pleased. Gonna try it out again later in preparation for a weekend trip I'm going on in a few weeks. If I can't get it to work well enough I may drop coin for a heavy duty down UQ. Maybe Jack'sRBetter's Mt Washington model which looks straight up luxurious.
It's probably the setup, you have to get how tight the ends are right, if it's too loose you'll have a droopy gap while laying, if it's too tight it'll bunch up and cause gaps. It helps to have someone else in it while adjusting.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Levitate posted:

And a bitchin' tarp setup.

Amazon has the 12' Kelly Noah's Tarp for $50, it's on the heavy side compared to some of the others, but it's a great tarp that will do anything. For motorcycle camping, the weight difference isn't an issue for me, anyway. I connected Zing-it line to the guy outs with a 6" loop of shock cord for tension and some give so I don't rip the tarp or pull the stakes out if I catch on the lines at night and used these tiny line locks from Dutch.
https://www.dutchwaregear.com/tarp-and-quilt-stuff/#/product/101

Then a couple of Dutch Flys and Zing-it to hang it, seems to be a good setup so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Yukon Outfitters rainfly on Woot for $17 FYI.

• Locked thread