Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
amazon had a ton of brands of these on sale for 30 bucks shipped with ropes and ties and poo poo included, but they all seemed like the same design with different brands stitched onto the same factory hammock

i dont give a gently caress about pads or warmth, but i do worry about bugs and rain, anyone have a real cheap recommendation for one with a built in rain cover? having to tie a huge tent over your hammock seems dumb, there isn't one that just zips up on top like a water resistant sleeping bag in the air?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Retarded Pimp posted:

You might try the hammock forums for sale board.
https://hammockforums.net/forum/content.php

Yea, for a cheap one I usually recommend that $25 blue outdoor hammock at Walmart coupled with some Atlas straps and climbing carabiners. I've been using that as my indoor hang almost daily for about a year with no problems.

Do you mean something like a cross between a hammock & a bivy sack?

i dont know what a bivy sack is, honestly i just want a cheap hammock with a tarp that secures over it so i dont wake up with animals or water or bird poo poo, crazy to think that these people arent ahead of me on this idea and everybody puts 10 feet of wood and tent poles and poo poo in their backpack

might have to do some inventing of my own

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Those are surprisingly nice hammocks. I've picked up a bunch of them over the past couple years and given them out as starter gifts for family and friends to get started with hammock camping. Several of them are still kicking after 2-3 years of use.

thanks to guy who posted the link, ozzie which tree straps do you use? i was pretty pumped to buy that mosquito net one but the comment says it doesn't come with straps, gotta check how much a decent pair will cost me before i click the button

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Tree Dude posted:

I just kickstarted a cool looking tent/hammock hybrid thing from Kammok called the Sunda. I'm pretty excited about it but won't get it until June. Hope it's as cool as it looks.

Editing in a picture:

You can also pitch it as just a hammock without all the extra tent stuff or as an ultra light version of the tent that is essentially just the footprint and the red zippery bits.

Link?

I'm wondering if this is very cool and good, overpriced, or if the rule of hybrid woodworking tools will apply and that much like an adze on the back of an axe it will function worse and more dangerously than an adze and an axe would separately

• Locked thread