Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Guys I'm going to use a hammock instead of a tent because it's lighter and simpler
*buys rain fly, bug net, quilt, different sized air mattress, etc*

This is sadly true. But for us poor side-sleepers, it is the only way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Sleep on your back like a normal person!!!

But then a cat might sleep on my face and kill me.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

meselfs posted:

Eh? I always sleep on my side in a tent on an air mattress (using clothing/pack/stuff sacks in a stuff sack as a pillow), as comfortable as sleeping at home, more so if it's quiet and solitary. Maybe you want a thicker mattress?

I'm fond of my unfortunately discontinued four season bivy sack. It's the biggest "sack" I could find, little rear end in a top hat like me can almost sit upright in it and is totally comfortable unless there's a need to cook during a storm.

I can sleep ok on a pad but I also toss around so much the cradle of the hammock is really the best. I am just bitter as my first hammock packs down to like grapefruit sized and it was a huge bummer to realize that setting it up in the woods takes a lot more gear then setting under an stage. If I spent the money on a super light weight top/bottom quilt and a Cuban fiber tarp the kit would come out less then a tent but be way more comfortable then a lighter weight bivy.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Do you have wimpy little trees and super tough undergrowth or something? My buddy and I camp on the farm I live on and his tent leaves a huge disturbed spot while my hammock really only leaves my trail from it to my piss spot.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

PirateDentist posted:

My Blackbird has two layers of fabric, allows you to slip in a thermal blanket\pad\whathaveyou. It's also why I use a purpose built quilt that hangs underneath the hammock and has shockcord to pull it up to you, keeping the insulation nice and lofted. I then use a normal bag like a blanket, the footwell works pretty well to keep it in place when using like a top quilt.

Not exactly cheap, but warm and comfortable as all hell. Given that I actually use them for maybe 10 days a year on the outside they should last me a very long time.

I sort of regret not getting a double bottomed hammock. I cannot stay on a pad for any length of time, so I am looking at under-quilts. I tend to sleep with my legs drawn up most of the time, so I am thinking a 3/4 quilt might work, but it would suck to spend the money and discover I am wrong.

Is there a place online to buy used hiking/camping stuff? My local craigslist is kinda crap and I don't trust ebay for anything over like ten bucks.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Dude even a cheap tarp weighs like 10oz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Can someone explain 3/4 vs full length under quilt? Other than weight savings, is there some reason you wouldn't want your feet or head insulated from the bottom?

I am tempted to go that way as I sleep with my knees drawn up to my chest, but I am leery of spending the money on something that might not work.

• Locked thread