Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
tbh I just want to try taking a tarp instead of a full tent, that's probably the lightest way to go outside of no cover at all. Still have to pack stakes and guy lines and have a way to prop it up if necessary (hiking poles seem to be the main thing for this), though I'd worry some about how sheltered it'd be in a strong storm in an exposed area.

Still intriguing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Lotka Volterra posted:

also you're gonna lose heat faster with that setup, unfortunately

yeah slightly less worried about that, with a warm bag and ground pad and in the summer months when it shouldn't be getting really cold...

Most of my trips now are with my wife though and she wouldn't go for that. Also kind of rules out the hammock setup as well, lighter and cheaper to use a light two person tent rather than two hammocks, and hammocks aren't great above treeline.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

pitching a tent is definitely the way to go

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

spwrozek posted:

When camping in a tent a 3/4 sleeping pad is lighter to carry and then you just throw the top of your pack under your feet. It is pretty slick.

Unless it's getting down around or below freezing at night and then it's kinda playing with fire (or cold blah blah)

I want an exped ul synmat but I don't want to pay for one. And a bitchin' tarp setup.

• Locked thread