Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Retarded Pimp posted:

I have a Arrowhead New River synthetic and have been down to about 30F with a generic sleeping bag on top. Muuuch more comfortable than a closed cell pad, plus warmer, pads only keep you warm where they're under you. Have wider shoulders than your pad or slip off the pad while sleeping? You gonna get cold.

I have one of those! I use it with a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock. I use a 20F sleeping bag like a topquilt and I've been down to about 22F and windy and been perfectly warm. Had to get some better shockcord that loops over the ridgeline to keep the wind from pushing it from under me.

I really like hammock camping. Easy set up, quick takedown, comfortable as gently caress. No rocks in the back or cold ground.

Cons:
  • Single person only, no sharing a big sleeping bag if that's a factor for you.
  • No enclosed space for clothes changing/gear.
  • You're dependent on trees to hang from.
  • Much more enclosed in a cold weather setup. If you're used to tiny backpacking tents this may not be a problem, but I had a bit of claustrophobia when I first used one. (Like, an actual panic attack and had to sleep in the car the first night. I got better.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

tankadillo posted:

Having slept in a hammock many nights, I can say that your fancy -12degree down sleeping bag will compress underneath you and provide insulation equivalent to a sheet of paper. I've never heard of hammocks designed to put padding inside but those sound like they'd be pretty sweet.

My Blackbird has two layers of fabric, allows you to slip in a thermal blanket\pad\whathaveyou. It's also why I use a purpose built quilt that hangs underneath the hammock and has shockcord to pull it up to you, keeping the insulation nice and lofted. I then use a normal bag like a blanket, the footwell works pretty well to keep it in place when using like a top quilt.

Not exactly cheap, but warm and comfortable as all hell. Given that I actually use them for maybe 10 days a year on the outside they should last me a very long time.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Retarded Pimp posted:

Yes, and a hammock too.

Indoor hammock in the summer is great. A nice cool shower then into the hammock is awesome on a hot night.

I live in Phoenix, so outdoor hammock when it's 110 outside is not really a sane option.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Retarded Pimp posted:

Outdoor anything in a Phoenix summer isn't sane, now's the time to go out and do stuff there. Where the hell do you hang from around there? Saguaro aren't exactly tree strap friendly.

I know some people hang from trees in parks for an afternoon. My outdoor time is on a stand I built for my balcony that's nice most of the year. Unless you head north that's about it unless you're near water. I like getting out to the national forest a couple times a year, get up to about 7k feet in the pines.

PirateDentist fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 17, 2016

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Crazyeyes posted:

Still trying to figure out the underquilt thing. I got one from DD hammocks and found myself quite cold most of the night. Not sure if I set it up incorrectly, but I was less than pleased. Gonna try it out again later in preparation for a weekend trip I'm going on in a few weeks. If I can't get it to work well enough I may drop coin for a heavy duty down UQ. Maybe Jack'sRBetter's Mt Washington model which looks straight up luxurious.

Mine is suspended with shock cord so it's tight and snug against me when I'm laying down. It holds the hammock up if I'm not in it. The wind tended to catch mine and pull it out from under me, but it has extra loops along the edges so I have a second bit of shock cord going over the ridgeline to add extra support and that hasn't happened since. Where are you cold? All over or just the bottom?

• Locked thread