Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

AlbieQuirky posted:

Don't you rent? One of the great things about renting is having a landlord or super to do these things.

I've never bothered with this. I find that putting a bit of poison in the wall cavities myself far outweighs the inconvenience of having to call the landlord and tidy everything up in preparation for his visit. I do sort-of unofficially do all of the pest-control where I work, which lets me steal industrial quantities of anticoagulants. Having a greatly reduced sense of smell also helps, because decomposing rodents in the loft space smell terrible (or so I'm told).

Seriously, find where the mice or rats are moving, and leave some poison there. Make sure they have no other sources of food, and that your pets can't get at it. Check the poison regularly to see if the mice are taking it, and keep on checking it once the initial infestation has gone. If you keep your bait station stocked, you ensure that any future visitors have already signed their own death warrants by the time you notice them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

P-Mack posted:

Poison's not a great idea for residential use due to the risk of a dead mouse in the wall stinking up the joint. Get traps. If you're rich there are these kick rear end electrical ones that zap the mouse with a minimum of mess. Also be clean.

Yeah. It probably sucks to have a proper sense of smell. For the electric ones, you really do need to be rich. Making a mouse ride the lightning uses up a whole heap of D cells.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

bongwizzard posted:

But we were way beyond traps and had dumb/smart dogs so poison was hard to use effectively.

That's why the best type of bait to use is the wax block variety. If you put it in a tamper-resistant bait station, the little bastards can't drag it all over the place for your pets to get to. If you do get an accidental poisoning, just be sure to take your pet to get some vitamin k injections. Standard rodenticides take a few days to take effect and are pretty easy to treat, unless you're some crazy redneck using strychnine or something similar.

These are the kind of people who buy ultrasonic pest repellers. I've seen mice walk straight past one before.

Soylent Yellow fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 11, 2016

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Cheesus posted:

I have nothing against mice on my 10 acres but within a 10-20 foot radius of the house, I aim for loving Mouschwitz with bait traps, inside and out.

One question about deer mice: Assuming mouse poop is rife with hantavirus, what would it take to be exposed, dangerously or otherwise?

I have no evidence that our deer mice have hantavirus but if my wife sees a few pellets of turds in the corner of the basement and freaks out treating it like its a spent nuclear rod generally getting all :kingsley:. My assumption is that unless I'm kneeling and inhaling nose directly over it and/or licking at it, it's not a tremendous deal and just shopvac it up.

So long as you aren't eating it, rubbing it over your body, or bathing in it, you're fine. Just clean it up.

• Locked thread