Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maporfic
Dec 11, 2015
I too keep poison out, have done it for years. I've never had a dead mouse in a wall. Proper poison dehydrates the vermin so they leave the house looking for water and die outside. Also, the amount of poison in a mouses system will not hurt a cat if it finds it.

If you prefer not to kill animals, you can throw moth balls in backs of cupboards and above ceiling tiles etc. Mice hate them. Then go enjoy a burger in peace, knowing that you don't kill animals. Note, close proximity to moth balls for extended times can cause headaches.

RE OP question, any hole you can fit a pen or pencil through is large enough for a small mouse to get through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015

bongwizzard posted:

My gf's mother's house sits next to a little lake. A few years ago the city decided to dredge it. This somehow caused all the mice that lived in the brush surrounding it to freak out and flee to the joining houses. People were seeing like dozens of mice in their houses and basements. The neighbor set six traps and caught six mice one night.

I got sick of this and decided to build a loving 120v mouse-zapper out of some copper sheeting, wires, and a breaker from work. Thankfully I came to my senses and abandoned it after the first prototype. What I did build was a version of a death-bucket. It worked very well, but is pretty gross and I guess drowning is a kinda bad way to go. But we were way beyond traps and had dumb/smart dogs so poison was hard to use effectively.

Also, very excited to find this while looking for a death-bucket link:

A friend of mine did the 'death bucket' while living in a former soviet republic. The apartment complex was terribly infested and the fellow tenants were happy for his ingenuity. His design was a bit simpler. He just poured a few inches of peanut oil on the bottom of the bucket and made a ramp. Peanut oil is like crack to mice, apparently they jump in and drown in it. Perhaps it's a bit more humane since they die happy.

• Locked thread