Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_W
Nov 12, 2013

The dev is right about Metroid bosses. Super Metroid is one of my favorite games, but the bosses are all pretty weak. Most of them involve just hitting their weak point went it's available and they're all very pattern heavy. Outside of a few all their arenas are just single screen boxes. They're not bad bosses, but just not very interesting.

Now about the lack of health pickups is something I disagree about with the dev. I under his philosophy about not having them though. They rarely make sense narratively and can be tricky to balance around, but I feel the lack of them makes this game poorer for it. Lack of any way to heal other than specific points makes players constantly looking for those points rather than explore. Though the level design and placement of save points in this game is pretty well done. Still its a hard game to recommend to people that are super familiar with the genre and know what to look for since lack of other healing options makes the game so much more punishing than most new players would have the patience for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Saves in Metroid didn't heal you, so those farming points were the only way to regain lost health and ammo. Now these saves heal you, so they do the same exact thing as the farm points the dev doesn't like.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I appreciate Mwyah being a meta piece of poo poo and using a distraction.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Saves in Metroid didn't heal you, so those farming points were the only way to regain lost health and ammo. Now these saves heal you, so they do the same exact thing as the farm points the dev doesn't like.

That's not exactly true. In Super Metroid, enemies only drop stuff you need and they do it pretty frequently. Things drop in boss battles as well. It helps smooth over mistakes and makes the game less about prefect platforming.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's kind of important in Super Metroid because the movement mechanics aren't built for precision in the way ESa's are.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah, but it would still make this game much more approachable. And honestly if I didn't have to constantly retry I probably would have continue to find all of it's secret stuff.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Yeah, there are a lot of OHKO in these extra areas (as we saw in the spike maze) that kinda make it tedious to actually explore if you aren't looking at a guide warning you of upcoming trouble spots.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013

death .cab for qt posted:

I mean, if you only think of challenge in this game as punishment, I can agree with you. But I think the challenge in this game is more reward, and I don't know if it can specifically gate you to accessing these areas along the natural progression of powers due to it being newly-implemented postgame content. It compromises by tossing in an excuse or hazard that prevents you from trivializing it, and then gives you a fun area or boss to overcome with a slightly smaller toolbox.

Besides that, the game does give you options for working around the limitations, so you can still refuse to participate in the increase in challenge. The one-eyed fellas from the bonus traversal area can just be killed, giving you full access to the infinite dash and supercharge again. Smite even does it in his videos. The only thing that outright locks you out from using the post-game power boosters is that bonus fight, which is such a tightly designed and fun-looking fight that I don't agree with the powerup-locking be a detriment, I think it lets the dev make a more enjoyable experience.

It's explorer versus achiever. The explorer wants to see the content that the challenge is gating, so taking away all the tools that would make the challenge easier is a kick in the junk. The achiever is just going to blow through the text at the end of the challenge anyways as they enjoy beating challenges, the harder the better. Can't make 'em both happy all the time.

Burzmali fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 21, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Burzmali posted:

It's explorer versus achiever. The explorer wants to see the content that the challenge is gating, so taking away all the tools that would make the challenge easier is a kick in the junk. The achiever is just going to blow through the text at the end of the challenge anyways as they enjoy beating challenges, the harder the better. Can't make 'em both happy all the time.

Yeah, this is definitely one way to phrase it. Environment Station Alpha is not made with the kind of people who play "normal" Metroidvanias in mind, because the challenge scale is practically disjoint. Like, completing ESA at all is roughly similar in difficulty to low%-ing a 2D Metroid game. So if you aren't the type to enjoy a low% Metroid, then you may well find ESA to be offputtingly hard. Again, that doesn't mean that ESA is a bad game at all, but it does make the marketing rather difficult because in every other sense it appears to be a "normal" Metroidvania.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, this is definitely one way to phrase it. Environment Station Alpha is not made with the kind of people who play "normal" Metroidvanias in mind, because the challenge scale is practically disjoint. Like, completing ESA at all is roughly similar in difficulty to low%-ing a 2D Metroid game. So if you aren't the type to enjoy a low% Metroid, then you may well find ESA to be offputtingly hard. Again, that doesn't mean that ESA is a bad game at all, but it does make the marketing rather difficult because in every other sense it appears to be a "normal" Metroidvania.

If we were judging the game at launch, I'd agree, there is a balance between the two. Plenty of lore for the explorer, plenty of challenge for the achiever, the opportunity to get upgrades early for the explorer to mitigate those challenges. The trouble is that the content since launch is almost entirely achiever focus (challenge modes, areas that are challenging without mitigating options, etc), so if I were an explorer I would be feeling a bit sore from the dev clearly favoring one side over the other in post game content.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I feel like I would rather jump into a pod for a sec and get back to what I was doing than fight a room full of weak trash until my hp is full again

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

NextTime000 posted:

I feel like I would rather jump into a pod for a sec and get back to what I was doing than fight a room full of weak trash until my hp is full again

Which is why all Metroid games after Super Metroid have had reasonably easy access to health/ammo-restoration points. And even Super Metroid had the occasional health or ammo station; they just weren't as liberally-placed as the savepoints were.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.
#16: The Keys & the Password

This is the first of probably 3 episodes involving the puzzle section of the game. Starts off with the translation work and moves into the gathering of those first steps forward.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

Smite posted:

#16: The Keys & the Password

This is the first of probably 3 episodes involving the puzzle section of the game. Starts off with the translation work and moves into the gathering of those first steps forward.
Aside from the translation bit, because I am too lazy to do that myself, these puzzles actually look fun to solve.

I think I got the solution already, but I don't want to post it (even with tags) because I have a good feeling I'm 50/50 on being right or wrong, but the solution is likely very close to whatever conclusion I got.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Seiren posted:

Aside from the translation bit, because I am too lazy to do that myself, these puzzles actually look fun to solve.

I think I got the solution already, but I don't want to post it (even with tags) because I have a good feeling I'm 50/50 on being right or wrong, but the solution is likely very close to whatever conclusion I got.

Eh, complete guess Numpad related? 5178, 588, or 548?

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Going by the chart posted by Ulvirich, I'm guessing BLF, maybe

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
I think the shapes correspond to certain powerups

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I find it slightly amusing how you keep trying to use the grapple hook "bug" to get through one way floors. There's no need for momentum, all you need to do is stand on the floor, and press the grapple button, and it will let you through. It's easy to get to the music room this way, and this is also a way to sequence break and get to the "final boss" early (that's not really that final).

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!
I have a feeling that it's not really number related, but does correspond to 10, 5, and 7

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
We beat the game six updates ago.

When does the ride end

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

We beat the game six updates ago.

When does the ride end

These three parts here took way longer the first time and without editing than they are getting represented here, with all that walking removed and with me getting the answer faster than originally.

I think we are ultimately looking at 20~ episodes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I gotta say now that I've finally got time to watch the video that "This is not how usurping works" was an amazingly funny line in context :v:

Andou
Jun 12, 2014

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

I think the shapes correspond to certain powerups

:agreed:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Me too. Not sure whether we're meant to turn them off, have them as the only ones on, or use them in some combination to avoid/nullify the laser. Is there a chart somewhere of the powerups and corresponding symbols?

Also I love this puzzle stuff, it adds so much depth to the world. I can't say I'm much of a fan of the old substitution cyphers, but I appreciate their inclusion nonetheless.
A metroidvania without this sort of thing just wouldn't feel right - come to think of it I've played one or two that lacked even so much as a "we'll drop you in here with no immediate indication on where to go next, and let you figure out how to use your powers to get to a new area", and it made the whole experience seem flat.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Also I love this puzzle stuff, it adds so much depth to the world. I can't say I'm much of a fan of the old substitution cyphers, but I appreciate their inclusion nonetheless.
A metroidvania without this sort of thing just wouldn't feel right

I always thought SotN's "Wear...clock..." "...in...tower" was both clever and annoying as hell.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

#17: The Clock and the Signs

The bulk of our tasks are revealed all at once in this episode.

Smite fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 29, 2016

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Video's private

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah give it 30m I'm fixing an error I noticed in the video right when I put it up

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
When I saw those 14 blocks with one missing, and then saw how the clock works (and when Maddy said something, don't remember exactly what), I thought maybe if you had all your powers active except the 7th you'd get somewhere new from the clock room. Don't suppose you can try that just for posterity's sake?

As for the location clues, I'm totally bad at this kind of stuff. I'd probably just use a guide for these puzzles.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Smite posted:

#17: The Clock and the Signs

The bulk of our tasks are revealed all at once in this episode.

Fixed! Now it's up there.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

When I saw those 14 blocks with one missing, and then saw how the clock works (and when Maddy said something, don't remember exactly what), I thought maybe if you had all your powers active except the 7th you'd get somewhere new from the clock room. Don't suppose you can try that just for posterity's sake?

As for the location clues, I'm totally bad at this kind of stuff. I'd probably just use a guide for these puzzles.

Didn't think about that. Probably because I vaguely remember that the solution is tied to doing those signs. I don't believe the clock shows us any other information. We are moving in the correct direction by doing every sign now, even though I never actively double-checked the blocks room to confirm it. All of those signs need to be completed to proceed any further in this.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Alright, guess it was just a red herring then... Now I'm just wondering if it an intentional one or not. :v:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I'm pretty sure any combination other than bike + one power-up results in instadeath room.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

My approach to this LP was to try and wait long enough that I'd be mostly hazy with it since I've cleared it all before but it is supposed to have some sort of exploration element to it. That part of the game, the part I was vaguely familiar with, is over now. At this point with all of these puzzles and riddles, I barely did anything first time round with a big group solving things so I am genuinely lost. Madithen is on the side with a guide open to give me hints when I am well and truly stuck. With some (hopefully invisible) editing, we are able to remove most of the HUGE pauses while we go through things, translate stuff or discuss where to go.

Hopefully this clears up some confusion about my commentary and whether I am just pretending to be baffled or something, which is a complaint I've seen a few times now. I have the memory of a goldfish when it comes to puzzles; I have no idea where to go here most of the time. I do hit the mark on a lot more of these signs than I expected but there were a few that, without Madi, I would be meandering about for hours.

On another note...I don't know if I can beat this boss rush. Holy poo poo it's hard

Smite fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 30, 2016

Smash Daisaku
Jul 12, 2008

Last Bet $15 on Player 1
Odds 807.1:1 ($1)
Teleporting mazes just slay me, so I was stuck in that maze for quite a long time the first time I stumbled into it.

Smite posted:

On another note...I don't know if I can beat this boss rush. Holy poo poo it's hard

Oh hey, I just beat this today. Yeah, it's incredibly difficult and requires a lot of no-hit strategies to have enough health to make it through the whole thing. There is a reward for completing it, but I don't know if it's worth the effort.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Can you edit the fonts to just translate poo poo for you? I remember doing that in Aquaria's background assets because gently caress if I'm gonna futz around with that poo poo.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Man I was never expecting the game to go this far.
From what I heard about it I was expecting a good and challenging metroidvania, Not Fez.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

See, now this part would be more appealing to me, except I wouldn't be able to stand the platforming and the boss fights to get to this point in the first place.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Can you edit the fonts to just translate poo poo for you? I remember doing that in Aquaria's background assets because gently caress if I'm gonna futz around with that poo poo.

I don't think that's possible. I searched for something like that because I would use that. I'm not a fan of the translating. I think it was an acceptable idea the first few times but when we reached the clock it was exhausting to deal with and slowed down the solving. We just paused it and madi used the translations from a guide here.

The teleport maze, which is something I would generally hate, has been made easier in the time since release with some directional hints and stuff in it that weren't there originally. I don't really have a problem with it now, we completely figure it out in 10-15 minutes time.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I think la Mulana did having a cipher the best.
You have autotranslate software that can translate substitution ciphered notes, but you have to still learn a specific few of the glyphs forewarned in the clues so you can identify them in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The teleport maze didn't strike me as being that bad, specifically because it makes use of a variety of different "tunnel widths" and a given teleport has to use a matching width. So if there's a 1-high entrance you're looking for, you know to only look for 1-high exits.

But yeah, the game should long since have given you an autotranslate powerup.

• Locked thread