Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
That eagle's cypher should've been the auto-translator. That way, you could miss him and force you to try to translate it yourself. Or you seek him out and make the puzzles easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Another powerup I wish was in the game would be something that would let you move instantly to a teleporter from anywhere. It gets super annoying when you know where you have to go but you have to move through six screens to get to a teleporter to take you to the teleporter you need, so that you can go six more screens to get to the place you need to be. Especially because at that point you have all the movement upgrades so its not even hard, just busywork. And then you have to do it fourteen times and run around all over the map...

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

CountryMatters posted:

Another powerup I wish was in the game would be something that would let you move instantly to a teleporter from anywhere. It gets super annoying when you know where you have to go but you have to move through six screens to get to a teleporter to take you to the teleporter you need, so that you can go six more screens to get to the place you need to be. Especially because at that point you have all the movement upgrades so its not even hard, just busywork. And then you have to do it fourteen times and run around all over the map...

That was something I really liked about Hero Core. The save point was also a teleport and health refill point, and you could teleport to any of them you found from anywhere right from the start of the game.

Sometimes (okay all the time) I wish Remar made some kind of commercial Hero Core DX, I'd buy it in an instant.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The teleport maze didn't strike me as being that bad, specifically because it makes use of a variety of different "tunnel widths" and a given teleport has to use a matching width. So if there's a 1-high entrance you're looking for, you know to only look for 1-high exits.

But yeah, the game should long since have given you an autotranslate powerup.

maybe it's just my experience with strange journey talking, but yea the maze didn't seem too bad. there aren't many rooms or enemies so you could probably blindly stumble into the solution pretty quick even if you don't figure it out. teleport mazes tend to be kind of annoying even when they're simple tho

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.
Here's the last proper update!

#18: The Maze and the Ghost

we have a speedrunning video next. I invited a WR holder to talk over a run at a casual pace as he discusses the tricks involved in breaking the game.

After that, a final update where I gather the rest of the secrets (mostly easter eggs) and Smash Daisaku did the boss rush for me because I didn't have what it took to finish.

Smite fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 2, 2016

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Smite posted:

Here's the last proper update!

#17: The Maze and the Ghost

we have a speedrunning video next. I invited a WR holder to talk over a run at a casual pace as he discusses the tricks involved in breaking the game.

After that, a final update where I gather the rest of the secrets (mostly easter eggs) and Smash Daisaku did the boss rush for me because I didn't have what it took to finish.

You say there's nothing new in NG+ but there most definitely is if you go beat the virus again

edit: also it's update 18 not 17

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So what would have happened if you went left at the end? Was that a trap?

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Zanzibar Ham posted:

So what would have happened if you went left at the end? Was that a trap?

I forgot about it too but we go left the first time when the ghost comes in and I read the terminal, because that wall goes away. You warp outside the maze.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Smite posted:

I forgot about it too but we go left the first time when the ghost comes in and I read the terminal, because that wall goes away. You warp outside the maze.

Oh right. I guess that ghostly sorta chase sequence right after just makes that tidbit forgettable.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
How ambiguous. Stuff happens with aliens, ~space magic~ happens, the end.

Is there no "happy" ending where the little robot gets to return home and deliver a full report about the station?

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Seiren posted:

Is there no "happy" ending where the little robot gets to return home and deliver a full report about the station?

I would think the happy ending, since it is just a robot, would be any situation where the virus doesn't get to leave the station and is destroyed.

But no, I don't think there is an ending where they get their robot back.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So what was that 100 in that last room supposed to mean and what the flying gently caress just happened

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Seiren posted:

Well the secret endings you can get are happier than the normal ending. But to my knowledge, there's not really a "happy" ending of sorts.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Just like Space Station 13. There is no happy ending. There is only death and barely understandable chaos.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Seiren posted:

I honestly think this is the worst ending ever since the virus is still in our robot buddy, it feeds on energy and we just gave it infinity energy.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I thought Mwah was the virus and he was just hitching a ride? Or was that entire elder god mysticism thing completely unrelated to everything?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

a cartoon duck posted:

I thought Mwah was the virus and he was just hitching a ride? Or was that entire elder god mysticism thing completely unrelated to everything?

It's unrelated to what happened on the station. The virus is a separate entity.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Yeah, the station was already pretty much Spook Central, the virus was just a thing that came in later.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
As I understand it, there was the Temple and associated ruins, full of ghosts and elder gods and so on, and then a bunch of jerks came in and built a station around the ruins et al, parked a derelict spaceship near it, got all the computers infected by an Evil Space Computer Virus, and ran off. Maybe the virus came in on the derelict ship? But yeah, the virus stuff is entirely unrelated to the ghosts and gods stuff.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder how the virus felt about all the spooky stuff.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

#19: Speedrunning Mechanics [with commentary from WR-Holder Jazzy]

If you're interested in the most popular category for a speedrun of this game (starting with V and H dash), I joined a speedrunner named Jazzy for a run through it where he stops to explain everything that's happening in good detail.

We have a TON of secrets recorded (some really neat ones and I CAN GUARANTEE that you haven't seen all of them).

It may even take 2 videos to do but I'm going to see about posting them all in one more, final update if I can.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Wow, that's...a weird way to set your game up for speedruns. I mean, I can kind of understand the thinking behind it, but having the V-dash from the get-go completely wrecks sequence, doesn't it? I mean, even aside from the glitches/tricks the speedrunner was using to make normally-impossible jumps. Does anyone speedrun the "normal" game mode where you start with 10 health and no powerups?

Still, very interesting to see the amount of breakage that can be applied to the game.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

As I understand it, there was the Temple and associated ruins, full of ghosts and elder gods and so on, and then a bunch of jerks came in and built a station around the ruins et al, parked a derelict spaceship near it, got all the computers infected by an Evil Space Computer Virus, and ran off. Maybe the virus came in on the derelict ship? But yeah, the virus stuff is entirely unrelated to the ghosts and gods stuff.

To put this in SS13 terms: An Admin Round happened. :v:

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Wow, that's...a weird way to set your game up for speedruns. I mean, I can kind of understand the thinking behind it, but having the V-dash from the get-go completely wrecks sequence, doesn't it? I mean, even aside from the glitches/tricks the speedrunner was using to make normally-impossible jumps. Does anyone speedrun the "normal" game mode where you start with 10 health and no powerups?

Still, very interesting to see the amount of breakage that can be applied to the game.

You can see categories for things at speedrun.com but I don't see one for that. Not surprising since the dev seems to have added what seems like nothing but a speedrunner mode here.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Smite posted:

We have a TON of secrets recorded (some really neat ones and I CAN GUARANTEE that you haven't seen all of them).

It may even take 2 videos to do but I'm going to see about posting them all in one more, final update if I can.

I'm very excited to finally know ALL the secrets of this game.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
When you make a Metroidvania game, you can assume sequence is gonna get brutalized no matter what, especially if you encourage it a la Zero Mission. So a Speedrun mode that makes the early game more intense and encourages those breaks by giving the player additional/early tools, tools that allow for more intense movement, seems like it makes sense. You know, as an option.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
It's also a lot more exciting to watch than a standard playthrough, since the start of virtually every game plays out exactly the same until those Key Powerups The Blow The Map Open™. That mode gives you those tools right off the bat, making for a far more interesting run overall.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

EponymousMrYar posted:

Just like Space Station 13. There is no happy ending. There is only death and barely understandable chaos.
Well, unless you're a miner who bores a drill into the wizard's head and then you leave as the only survivor of what remains of half a station :black101:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Mraagvpeine posted:

ESA 2 will probably have him as your chummy buddy ala Morte.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

Probably briefly very loving irritated at being destroyed along with the rest of reality in the last ending we got :v:

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

#20: For Completion's Sake

In this update, we will be checking out all of the many secrets related to the map room in the DLC area. There is quite a bit to do, enough for an update devoted to just that.

The final update will be coming real soon! It is the boss rush, mostly.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The loving bike. :vince:

For those unclear about what is actually supposed to be going on in that ending outside of friendship mode. in new game plus the robot crashes the spade ship into a meteor, destroyig the virus along with itself instead of taking it back to earth.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I had to pause after the anteater because work and now I'm sad. Poor anteater.

How could you be so mean, robot :(

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
e: Spoilers removed! My bad.

BlackFrost fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 14, 2016

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

I'll find them, don't post about them. If I somehow miss one in the next video, feel free to discuss it!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i wasn't expecting a sudden yume nikki sequel but i like it

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

#21: The Boss Rush

The final update! We have a handful of secrets to check out but this is primarily the boss rush. Smash Daisaku beat it for us because I could only get 70% of the way through it on my best runs. It requires some training for sure.

(I have no idea how you guys were finding the super secret room that only came into existence a few weeks ago and has no hints whatsoever in-game. Care to share?)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hahaha, that last bit was fantastic. Someone hack the game to reach that one computer just to see what it says, I'm sure there's something in there.

Anyway, thanks for the LP. This kind of game is way too hard for me but I still enjoyed watching it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Thank you Smite for showcasing the game. I wonder what Hempuli is working on right now. Environmental Station Beta? Or does he want to add enough content to ESA until you can get 200% completion?

(now it'll turn out he talked about it in a video and I completely forgot)

Also I think that last secret pretty much forces you (and Madi) to eventually complete the boss rush and become certified Cool Persons. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Ha, that super secret room is awesome. Hempuli is a class act.

Thanks for the LP, Smite et al!

• Locked thread