Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

Just rain here.

listen here u little poo poo

also yo soundmonkey that is a quality haloween mod name change but not quite the level of Spoopy Monkey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

more like clown forums menace

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
nice username for a clown to wear

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

to the woods

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

idiot

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

i officiated a wedding for 2 rad people on saturday that was sadly photographed by buster rear end photogs running low level nikons with a nifty 50, 85mm, and some manner of push-pull.... I think an 80-200.

Today i went to an apple orchard with ~MY GIRLFRIEND~, drank a gallon of cider, then ate a shitload of thai food from a local hole in the wall.

hail satan

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

DJExile posted:

i officiated a wedding for 2 rad people on saturday that was sadly photographed by buster rear end photogs running low level nikons with a nifty 50, 85mm, and some manner of push-pull.... I think an 80-200.

Today i went to an apple orchard with ~MY GIRLFRIEND~, drank a gallon of cider, then ate a shitload of thai food from a local hole in the wall.

hail satan

the nikon 80-200 2.8 push-pulls were legit as gently caress if the zoom doesnt creep

today on facebook:

model i once worked with who later decides she's a photographer posts about "the worst thing that can happen to a photographer." "Turn On Notifications For This Post"

turns out she lost a stack of CF cards that had 20-25 shoots on them, and now has to do 25 free reshoots. from the past month and a half. because she had the cards just lying in a pile in her bag for a month and a half and hadn't dumped them yet

did i mention most of them were several-day-old newborn shoots

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ahahaha

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

WOODS CLOWN MENACE posted:

turns out she lost a stack of CF cards that had 20-25 shoots on them, and now has to do 25 free reshoots. from the past month and a half. because she had the cards just lying in a pile in her bag for a month and a half and hadn't dumped them yet

Much as I have sympathy for people, you can't help but point and laugh at that

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

spog posted:

Much as I have sympathy for people, you can't help but point and laugh at that

i do not have sympathy for that

if you don't bring your fuckin laptop to the shoot and do it there it should still be the first thing you do when you get home. then ideally your automatic backups start in on it too.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

WOODS CLOWN MENACE posted:

i do not have sympathy for that

if you don't bring your fuckin laptop to the shoot and do it there it should still be the first thing you do when you get home. then ideally your automatic backups start in on it too.

I get the cold sweats during the period between taking the photos and downloading them to my HDD. I don't feel relaxed until I've synced that HDD with my backup HDD.

I could see some old hack getting blasé about it, but surely a newbie would be even more aware of oh who am I kidding

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

same

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

spog posted:

I get the cold sweats during the period between taking the photos and downloading them to my HDD. I don't feel relaxed until I've synced that HDD with my backup HDD.

I could see some old hack getting blasé about it, but surely a newbie would be even more aware of oh who am I kidding

I always get a flash of anxiety when I load up an old card into the camera and see it still has pictures on it. I'm pretty sure I copied them to the hard drive and backed it up because that's my SOP, but there's always that moment of "but what if this is the one that I didn't do that?"

Fortunately they're all just blurry cat pics so there's no money lost if I gently caress up.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Lightroom's "don't import suspected duplicates" is great for that.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

DJExile posted:

hail satan

you shut your whore mouth the nikon 85 1.8g is probably their best prime short of the super ultra tele primes.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Wild EEPROM posted:

you shut your whore mouth the nikon 85 1.8g is probably their best prime short of the super ultra tele primes.

No skrublorde, nikons best prime is the ais 105mm f/2.5.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
yeah if I have to travel for a wedding or something I bring my laptop and copy the images from the card to the laptop so I at least have 2 copies. Then when I get home everything is immediately transferred to the desktop mirrored RAID.

God even when I come home whooped as gently caress after a 12 hour wedding day at 1am I still transfer that poo poo before passing out.

edit: also I'm grumpy rn because i have to explain to a professional graphic designer that "What size pixels at what resolution DPI?" doesn't mean anything and that's why they're cocking up our digital art

dakana fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 12, 2016

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

dakana posted:

edit: also I'm grumpy rn because i have to explain to a professional graphic designer that "What size pixels at what resolution DPI?" doesn't mean anything and that's why they're cocking up our digital art

As a graphic designer myself I still struggle to come to terms with the fact that, in 15 years, I have worked with exactly zero other graphic designers who genuinely understand the relationship between pixel size, reproduction size and dots per inch.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

spongepuppy posted:

As a graphic designer myself I still struggle to come to terms with the fact that, in 15 years, I have worked with exactly zero other graphic designers who genuinely understand the relationship between pixel size, reproduction size and dots per inch.

she also only works in cmyk and despite me showing her screenshots of histograms and eyedroppers showing exactly how her blackpoint and color conversion is hosed when she gives us web art she still can't get the conversion right or even see it because her "monitor is set up for cmyk"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

my monitor is set up for deez nutz

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

dakana posted:

she also only works in cmyk and despite me showing her screenshots of histograms and eyedroppers showing exactly how her blackpoint and color conversion is hosed when she gives us web art she still can't get the conversion right or even see it because her "monitor is set up for cmyk"

I really hope she's a poo poo hot creative, because in my studio that sort of excuse would get her some very direct suggestions about learining her trade.

It really gets on my loving tits that most graphic designers are too loving useless to learn the finer points basics of pre-press and repro.

Even though it's straightforward and trivial you'll have a time finding a graphic designer who knows what ICC profiles are and what they do. Freelance designers are especially bad in this regard in my experience. I think a lot of the problem comes from the industry polarizing into "super creative" and "technical pre-press" roles, because in most studios there is usually one "guru" and a bunch of lazy crybabies who think that pre-press is something printers should handle.

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 16, 2016

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
yeah no

their work is... ok. never really takes any creative chances, is very formulaic. I get that we're working within a decently strict brand standard but we had a 19 year old intern come in and do some really nice, creative, solid work - AND he understood this poo poo.

it's a vendor relationship that my coworker (with no graphic design background) has maintained for ~3 years or so and they have a good relationship but gently caress if I want to spend hours explaining the fundamentals of digital graphics to someone we're paying to do digital graphic design for us.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dakana posted:

yeah no

their work is... ok. never really takes any creative chances, is very formulaic. I get that we're working within a decently strict brand standard but we had a 19 year old intern come in and do some really nice, creative, solid work - AND he understood this poo poo.

it's a vendor relationship that my coworker (with no graphic design background) has maintained for ~3 years or so and they have a good relationship but gently caress if I want to spend hours explaining the fundamentals of digital graphics to someone we're paying to do digital graphic design for us.

is this person a fat huffpo mommy y/n

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
The Billingham makes a comfortable pillow for Kyra.

Billingham by B. B., on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HI KYRA

YOU SLEEP WHEREVER YOU WANT YOU ADORABLE LITTLE THING :3:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Good dogge name (mine's is keera)

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

8th-snype posted:

Good dogge name (mine's is keera)

Same pronunciation.

One more: She dreams of small, flightless prey.

The Great Hunter Rests by B. B., on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

the boop witch project

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

the boop witch project

Jesus, NMS that, I'm post debate late night forums browsing!

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

Royal was very interested in the makeshift lights I set up for a headshot thing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hi royal :radcat:

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
graphic designer asked me to send an example finished file so they can look at it and figure out how i'm saving it "what pixel dimensions with what dpi" so i sent a png since png doesn't bother saving dpi in the metadata :unsmigghh:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dakana posted:

graphic designer asked me to send an example finished file so they can look at it and figure out how i'm saving it "what pixel dimensions with what dpi" so i sent a png since png doesn't bother saving dpi in the metadata :unsmigghh:

attaboy :cheers:

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

quote:

My program does allow me to see the dpi resolution in any format

NO IT DOESN'T
BECAUSE IT DOESN'T EXIST
YOUR PROGRAM IS MAKING IT UP
BUT YOU CAN'T TELL BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT DPI IS

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

quote:

Mine are RGB, but yours were paletted 8-bit. Not sure if that is the difference. Mine were also 300dpi at the correct pixels and yours are 72dpi at the same pixels. I think that may be the difference. So I made these 72 dpi.

WHAT ARE YOU EVEN TALKING ABOUT

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's like a mad lib where they used print shop terms to fill in all the blanks.

• Locked thread