Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Hiking is really just a way to reach better fishing spots. Please post your most beloved fish itt.

This was my very first fish:

This was my second, latter that morning:

A boy's first bass:

Please note that I didn't know any better but it is a real dick move to lay a fish on a non-wet surface.

This bass I caught in the middle of fuckin DC:

Fishing in the rain is great, fish are already wet, they don't give a gently caress about rain:

Some times a bird will catch a fish, but then will drop it in the woods, stupid bird:

Today I caught a pickerel. They are a great winter fish:

But Do Not put your fingers in a pickerel's mouth:

Fishing rules everyone post some fish!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I love lingcod. 30lb tagged and released.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

I like catching gummy sharks, they taste great

They banned commercial fishing in a bay near where I live and the population of these smaller sharks is going through the roof.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This thread looks delicious, 5/5 would eat again

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
First trout I ever caught, on the first fly I ever tied. That was a neat day.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Good fish posting, keep it up!

I would like to also open this up to tackle posting:

This is a Woody's spinner, a locally made lure. They and ones like them are far and away the best white perch baits in the area.

This is the lure I have caught most of my bass with:

About half the time I fish is wacky like this, the other half I use the same jib and rig it like a Ned rig.

This spring/summer I want to do some wade fishing for SMB using ultralight cranks on a light/medium rod:

I am replacing the factory trebles with single hooks or barbless trebles.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Here's some red kebari and a couple red Stewart Spiders I rolled up this evening. Hooks range from 12-18's. Gonna hit the local tailwater in the morning.

I've only been tying flies for a week or two now, and I really enjoy it. :haw:

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
A nice fish from last season on an old rod and reel that predates my 38 years by quite a bit. I've literally got hundreds more flyfishing photos...:)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nice brown.
Did you ever eat one?
If so what state and water source?
Did it taste like mossy mud?

I may just have bad luck with them.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Armed Neutrality is Swiss, I believe.

Bighorn River, Montana:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I'm gonna start fishing again on my trips, though I don't think I'll get too crazy like carrying a poo poo ton of flies and fishing gear. Just enough stuff to get a fly on the water and bring something in if I catch it. Undecided if I'll eat any

Lots of fish in the lakes and streams in the Sierra though, seems a shame to not give it a go

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Levitate posted:

I'm gonna start fishing again on my trips, though I don't think I'll get too crazy like carrying a poo poo ton of flies and fishing gear. Just enough stuff to get a fly on the water and bring something in if I catch it. Undecided if I'll eat any

Tenkara's great for that. A few oz. for a complete setup, which means I always have a rig with me when hiking.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Here's some pics from my dad's old farm pond. My dad and uncle built this pond, and stocked it for years. At it's peak, it had 8-10lb largemouth and dinner plate sized crappie. Then our Fish & Wildlife department, in it's infinite wisdom, decided to restock otters to the nearby CoE lake. They wandered the mile or so to dad's farm and cleaned us the gently caress out. :smith:

View of the pond from the top of the dam.

Good friend of mine and one of the bigger bass he'd caught. This was a couple years before it was at it's best.

Fairly typical hybrid bluegill and black crappie.

Best bass I ever caught out of it. A little over 5.5 lbs, mostly because it was a greedy, greedy pig of a bass.

Look how big the belly on it was.

It's so fat because it's full of bass! :haw:

More bluegill.

This was from the last summer before the Ottering. We weren't fishing for crappie, and it's the middle of summer. I had taken a buddy and his little boy out there fishing, and my buddy's son hooked into the biggest crappie in the basket with a nightcrawler and bobber. He ended up catching two of the ones here.

He sold the farm last year. Goddamn, I miss that pond.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

It's so fat because it's full of bass! :haw:

why did you take a picture of this horrifying monster :stonk:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

beefnoodle posted:

Tenkara's great for that. A few oz. for a complete setup, which means I always have a rig with me when hiking.

yup, that's what I'm going for.

We used to always bring fishing rods when we went backpacking when I was a kid (I'd mainly use spinners and a bubble and fly setup because apparently my dad was too lazy to teach me to fly fish :argh: ) and I kind of want to do that again. Gives you something to kind of relax and do at the end of the day as well

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Levitate posted:

yup, that's what I'm going for.

We used to always bring fishing rods when we went backpacking when I was a kid (I'd mainly use spinners and a bubble and fly setup because apparently my dad was too lazy to teach me to fly fish :argh: ) and I kind of want to do that again. Gives you something to kind of relax and do at the end of the day as well

I just got into tenkara fishing this past month. I wanted to try fly fishing for a while, but nobody I know fly fishes, and it's a lot of intimidating poo poo to try and figure out what you need to get started. With tenkara, it was pretty simple, and it's easy and fun. I've picked up a couple rods now, including this tiny little fucker. It's a Tenkara Rod Co Mini-Sawtooth. It's a 9' pole that collapses down to less than about 10" or so. Weighs a little more than an ounce. They've got a 12' version as well, but I wanted a shorter rod to use in brushy creeky spots.

Here's my hiking/camping fishing setup right now.

Everything packs into the Zimmerbuilt Strap pack, and I clip it on my belt loop or pack. If I'm taking my full-sized rod, I just clip the whole pack to a shoulder strap I put on my rod case.

bradzilla posted:

why did you take a picture of this horrifying monster :stonk:

Because it's awesome. I'd never caught a fish that had just caught a fish. :colbert:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Large predator fish are great but if you want bragging rights you need to wiegh them the minute they come on board. I caught a 25lb lingcod that threw up a 7lb ling, a small shark, a skate and a still lively octopus 10 minutes after getting thumped and tossed in the sack.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think I'm looking for a 12' rod since I'm aiming to be doing lake fishing and alpine streams where trees and brush aren't really a big concern.

I think I generally understand how traditional fly fishing works but I never got much of a chance or inclination to learn

e: what is that, a plastic rod case, rod, two furled or level lines, tippet line, flies, tools for releasing fish etc, stuff to carry it?

Levitate fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 30, 2015

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
God damm gently caress those otters man. That pond looked amazing. I rent a place on a farm currently and we have a tiny lovely little pond. I kinda want to get it stocked now.

I have never caught a wild trout, just the lame stocked ones. The state puts them in ponds that are way to warm and low in oxygen, so they are really sluggish. The only way to make them fun is to use super small spinners with barb less hooks and this super super wimpy UL rod. I always just throw them back because it would be a pain to carry them around.

EDIT:

Tenkara madness!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA33IidhVSQ

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 30, 2015

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

From anecdotal evidence (I dug through s couple pounds Of otter poo poo) they seem to prefer crawfish if available. I fish a high mountain private pond that has a family of otters and I found very few fish bones compared to the almost solid clump of shells.

Stock up on crawdads to distract them?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Levitate posted:

I think I'm looking for a 12' rod since I'm aiming to be doing lake fishing and alpine streams where trees and brush aren't really a big concern.

I think I generally understand how traditional fly fishing works but I never got much of a chance or inclination to learn

e: what is that, a plastic rod case, rod, two furled or level lines, tippet line, flies, tools for releasing fish etc, stuff to carry it?

Depending on the manufacturer, you can get tenkara rods up to 15'. I have a 12' and a 13' (different stiffnesses). Neither works well getting out to the center of an alpine lake, but works well on streams or for cruisers along the lake.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yup I imagine just going for fish cruising the edges and as I said some of the streams along the way. I'm actually gonna buy one once I get some return credit back on amazon and then can spend the rest of the winter working out the kit and details

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

LingcodKilla posted:

Nice brown.
Did you ever eat one?
If so what state and water source?
Did it taste like mossy mud?

I may just have bad luck with them.

Yep, I'm in Switzerland as Beefnoodle said.

I never really eat wild native fish, which over here are browns and not rainbows, but I guarantee you that they don't taste muddy. I'm sure they're delicious, I just like them way too much to eat them.

More content, a nice barbel caught on a streamer with a 6 weight modern glass rod:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Armed Neutrality posted:

Yep, I'm in Switzerland as Beefnoodle said.

I never really eat wild native fish, which over here are browns and not rainbows, but I guarantee you that they don't taste muddy. I'm sure they're delicious, I just like them way too much to eat them.

More content, a nice barbel caught on a streamer with a 6 weight modern glass rod:

It's the total opposite in Montana. I think the coexist because they feed at different level with the Browns mucking up the bottom.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Levitate posted:

It's the carbon fiber tube the rod came in, attached to my small bag. The rod itself is collapsed at the bottom. One spool of 5x tippet, a 11' furled taper line, a 13' Tenkara Rod Co Crossbreed level/taper combo line, hemostats and scissors, tape measure, and fly box.

bongwizzard posted:

God damm gently caress those otters man. That pond looked amazing. I rent a place on a farm currently and we have a tiny lovely little pond. I kinda want to get it stocked now.

Seriously. They loving sucked. Start stocking, man. All we did was throw in about 25-50lbs of mixed minnows every spring for about 3-4 years. By that time, the last 2 stockings or so were just feeder fish for the established populations and they got biiiiiiig. Once they'd been spawning a year or two, we didn't stock any more.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Armed Neutrality posted:

A nice fish from last season on an old rod and reel that predates my 38 years by quite a bit. I've literally got hundreds more flyfishing photos...:)

I've got one of those reels :hf:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

got some fish for ya

><> ><>

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Today's efforts:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Bill Dance is the best fisherman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MESa6tV5g7E

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

just bought a 12 foot tenkara rod, looking forward to playing with it

guess I should read up on flies a bit

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Levitate posted:

just bought a 12 foot tenkara rod, looking forward to playing with it

guess I should read up on flies a bit

Sweet! Get yourself a $38 vise and tool kit, some thread and some hackle feathers, and the book Simple Flies. If you really want to learn about Tenkara fishing and techniques, get this book. He's got some basic fly patterns in there, too, I think. Realistically, learn to make a kebari you like and a killer bug pattern, and you've got all you need for drat near anything, just vary the size and colors.

Sparkle Bugs!

Found some nifty embroidery thread at Walmart. Gonna play with this stuff for a while. It should strip down and make nice flash.

Here's my first fish of the year. Little rainbow stocker from the tailwater. Caught him on a blue kebari and my Tenkara Rod Co Teton rod.

Here's my blue kebari.

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 4, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

One time I was fishing with my dad and for some reason he really wanted to take a picture of this rockbass I caught. He spent so long digging his camera out and fiddling with it that the fish got loose from my grip a couple of times and spiked me in the hand. Admittedly, I didn't have the best hand position but also didn't think I would be waiting forever.

Between me getting handspiked and complaining about how long the picture was taking, This was the end result:

it is my favourite picture of a fish.

E: trent severn btw

Jump King fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 4, 2016

damug
Jun 21, 2004

My most recent catch was this New Year's Eve bass caught by accident with cut bluegill as bait in an east Texas stock pond while fishing for catfish.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
A brown on a bamboo rod.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Nice fishes!

Our spring weather xmas has turned into a cold and windy new years so I haven't been out in a while but I have some new waders I am itching to get wet so hopefully next week will be full of fish even if it is too windy for kayaks.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Here's some pics from my dad's old farm pond. My dad and uncle built this pond, and stocked it for years. At it's peak, it had 8-10lb largemouth and dinner plate sized crappie. Then our Fish & Wildlife department, in it's infinite wisdom, decided to restock otters to the nearby CoE lake. They wandered the mile or so to dad's farm and cleaned us the gently caress out. :smith:

Fairly typical hybrid bluegill and black crappie.

More bluegill.

This was from the last summer before the Ottering. We weren't fishing for crappie, and it's the middle of summer. I had taken a buddy and his little boy out there fishing, and my buddy's son hooked into the biggest crappie in the basket with a nightcrawler and bobber. He ended up catching two of the ones here.

He sold the farm last year. Goddamn, I miss that pond.

I obsessively fished the same local (small) dam over and over and had some luck compared to most everyone I saw even though it was my first season, and while I should just blame myself for not exploring more and learning the tricks and spots of another location, instead I just god drat hate you because those are some serious eating fish and it looks like the average crappie and average bluegill in there beats my absolute best in size after catching 100 crappie and hundreds and hundreds of bluegill.

I'd post a picture but this guy owned me, you win guy, crappie fishing is really really fun and good food. I like 'em on rye bread with mayo. I guess every place has it limits, but after all that I never caught a gill over maybe 9" and none too round, and my record black crappie was a foot but again no old hogs to be found yet.

Can't wait to learn ice fishing though, hope it leads to some good lunches.

edit

Just read the part about otters, sorry to hear that.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Sweet! Get yourself a $38 vise and tool kit, some thread and some hackle feathers, and the book Simple Flies. If you really want to learn about Tenkara fishing and techniques, get this book. He's got some basic fly patterns in there, too, I think. Realistically, learn to make a kebari you like and a killer bug pattern, and you've got all you need for drat near anything, just vary the size and colors.

Sparkle Bugs!

Found some nifty embroidery thread at Walmart. Gonna play with this stuff for a while. It should strip down and make nice flash.

Here's my first fish of the year. Little rainbow stocker from the tailwater. Caught him on a blue kebari and my Tenkara Rod Co Teton rod.

Here's my blue kebari.

Not sure if I'm going to get into fly tying, at least yet. Dunno, gonna depend on how much time I start sinking into it I guess

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002
A TOWN LEVELED BY AN EXPLOSION? DOZENS LIKELY KILLED? OH GOD LET ME SEE THAT SWEET VIDEO OH MY GOD I'M CUMMING
:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:
My first and only Sturgeon, caught on my 40th birthday. The trick is to hold on for dear life and hope like hell it doesn't take all your line. I of course released it. Sturgeon are strictly catch and release in the Fraser.....

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nice critter! Way over the slot! Hope they survived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I don't know how to hold a fish :regd09: