Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

I’ve been meaning to check out the Thompson and St. Vrain. May take you up on this sometime. I need to get out of my Deckers rut.

Do those mostly fish like freestones?

For the most part yes, just with tighter quarters and more plunge pools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

Elmnt80 posted:

3 days ago a package left Yokohama Jay aye pan headed to florida. It reached Cincinnati Ohio that same day where dhl sat on it for 24 hours before moving it to florida and to me late yesterday. 2 day shipping from japan when I paid as little as possible in shipping? Yeah, I'm ok with that...

She's a beaut! I really liked my Tatula SV until the saltwater turned it into a piece of semi-useful garbage, in spite of my best efforts to keep it maintained. I got my reel in too, and I love it in spite of some small annoyances. The tension knob is protected by some plastic shielding which is nice, except it makes it hard to turn. Also the color is ugly. It casts great though and I caught a few fish on it last night.

I tried Spiderwire for the first time, it seems to work well in spite of being pretty stiff. I got the X8 Ultracast in 30 lb.

I tested out a new bait last night and it worked pretty well! The fishing was super slow but I picked off 3 spotties and 2 halibut on this (not legals). It's a 3.8" Keitech Sexy Impact on a 1/4 oz Dirty Jigs guppy head.

Last pic, a really pretty but incredibly small fish that I caught in the river today on my lunch break.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It looks like its intended to be like the zero adjuster on my reel. Once you get it close with the tension knob, you rely on the mag braking to get it fine tuned. I just set mine to my normal "until theres a bit of play, then tighten 1/4 turn" and let the magnetics do their thing. Its goofy to me, but so far it seems to work.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09a4woO-4Wc

Not exactly fishing, but worth watching at the moment. He touches on the taboo of talking about racial issues in the fishing industry and how some of the competitors he fishes against are just being hateful assholes at the moment. (And for once I'd say look in the comments. Its nice to see how it was received, even if my brain warns me it won't make a difference.)

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Mission Bay is open finally! Hit my fav spot today and it was on fire. Unfortunately, I was testing out some jig heads and they loving sucked. lovely hookup ratio and I got a nice fish and bent out the hook. Here's some fun stuff tho.

A baby starfish that hitched a ride:

It's been so long since anyone's been out here that a gull setup a nest on this little pier. They didn't like when I went to go check it out, lol.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a--GC39XIJ1o2XyaBK3SPMC9laRBW76f/view?usp=sharing

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Never thought I’d hear a seagull get more annoying

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Went back to the same spot and got on em today, but I didn't gently caress with the gulls this time. lol. I almost landed a ray! It was very exciting. I was popping my lure, and then I felt the weight and line just started going. Loosened up my drag, he took about 2/3 of my spool and then settled into the sand. I was able to get him up off the bottom and I realized I had a shot at landing this big rear end fish... but I forgot my pliers on my desk. I kept fighting the ray and I yelled to the guy down the shore to see if I could borrow some pliers, but he didn't hear me. However, a guy on a kayak did and he came over to give me a hand. I got the fish to the shore, but it took off and dug back down. Even with the help of the guy on the kayak I couldn't get it up off the bottom again. We tried our best, but in the end my 10 lb leader popped. Ohhhh welllll. I think it was a butterfly ray, and I'd estimate the wingspan at close to 2 feet. Good times though! Then I caught 7 spotties, great day at the bay.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

High country lakes and hippie stompers.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 13, 2020

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Brookies are so cute. :3:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I realize it looks like I have a death grip on that fish, but I was gentle. I promise.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I caught my first fish on Sunday! It was my second time going fishing solo and maybe fourth time total. I think it’s a spotted bass according to the back of my 2020 fishing regulations.

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 24, 2020

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Who knows what will happen to the forums in the near future, so in the meantime there is a discord server for fishing goons: https://discord.gg/xE9Ng5

Link will expire, so if it's not working for you PM me or reply if the forums still exist.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Im getting back into fishing at 30 since I lost my way about 10 years ago. I forgot how calming it is. My dad is an avid fisherman and to welcome me back, set my wife and I up with new rods and reels (he is a junkie for flea markets and garage sales and has upwards of 200 rods and reels). I ended up with a beautiful Shakespeare Sturdy Stik medium action rod paired with a classic Zebco 733. My wife got an early 60's Shakespeare Wondercast paired with a Zebco Sportcaster rod. My first day back on the ponds got me this feller:
Sorry for the terrible picture quality. I had to crop myself out of the pic.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Going fishing in Palos Verdes (CA) tomorrow morning, wish me luck!

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Good luck! I ordered some Yum Dinger 6 in. and a new box of straight shank worm hooks so I can go live the Texas rig life in Oklahoma ponds.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hate to double post but threads move at a glacial pace in this seemingly hidden space. I scouted some ponds last week and absolutely hosed my right ring finger on some barbed wire (it was in-between two pieces of property my grandpa owns, all legal, I just didn't want to drive all the way to the gate). It's healing up and I can still cast. Today I'm gonna go check out the freshly stocked pond at a local park. Their regulations are pretty chill so I'm happy to play with my rigs a bit and test out a few things. I've been mostly running the Texas rig and bass fishing but I might set up another rod for my crappie rig; it has two hooks on a swivel and sets just below a bobber so that I may catch two bluegill at a time. It's actually just good if I want bait fish (which I don't use), but the old timers around here will tell you that a bluegill (perch) cooked whole over an open fire is the best tasting fish in Oklahoma. I'll take their word for it. I'm a conservationist for the most part and try to rig my stuff to do the least harm to fish so I can admire them, admonish them, and send them back with a wee piercing, if even that. Happy fishing! I'll be back later this week for what I'm sure will be a triple post about what I managed to catch and what kind of rig I was using.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The Catch All Fishing Thread moves a lot quicker. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480910&pagenumber=157&perpage=40

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

There's a fishing discord also: https://discord.gg/FeSPRG

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Yessss. Thank you.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I think I’ve spent at least two hours in the last week scanning online maps, looking for lakes and creeks that don’t have AllTrails reviews from the past three days.

:negative:

doritto
May 12, 2013

been getting really into fishing since quarantine started, caught this big boy on a wacky rig

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Caught some fishies. Got a shitton in a short time south of leadville, some pictured

This lure had em going nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

There is a nice new shiny fishing thread to post in here in The Great Outdoors.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933162