Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Your the dude up in Alaska right?

I'm almost certainly moving to Puget sound, Washington this summer and can't wait to start fishing.

Split the difference and you might find me. I'm at about the mid point of Vancouver Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i work with fish and wildlife in Washington. i used to want to fish but having to work with fishermen has made me one good recruitment drive away from ecoterrorism

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Agean90 posted:

i work with fish and wildlife in Washington. i used to want to fish but having to work with fishermen has made me one good recruitment drive away from ecoterrorism

I'm moving to Port Orchard soon. If you are near me I'd go fishing with you. I really dont like the stuff most of the locals post. It's pretty bad.

damug
Jun 21, 2004

Agean90 posted:

Do you have any tips for fly fishing for cutthroat trout at Silver Lake in Whatcom County? I'm headed that way in June.

Also, do you know of any job openings (especially after you join green peace)?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Im working over on the west end of the Olympic peninsula till summer, then I'll probably wind up in Neah Bay. Can't say I'm familiar with anywhere outside there, but if your planning to fish the quillute or hoh systems I know a thing or two

Edit: for job openings check out the website for state jobs, there's usually a few on there as well as a recruiting pool for seasonal jobs. Expect to wind up doing those unless you know someone or have a master degree

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 21, 2016

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hrm. It's a bit of a drive from Port Orchard but I may be down for that. I'm mostly a shallow water rock fishery sort of guy but I enjoy trout too.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Oops, salr issue.

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 21, 2016

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Agean90 posted:

Is it just that no one wants to follow the rules or something?

this reminds me I need to buy a fishing license

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Levitate posted:

Is it just that no one wants to follow the rules or something?

this reminds me I need to buy a fishing license

That and the fact that every time the regs change i get an earful from everyone for weeks afterwords due to me having to talk to fishermen to get my data and me (and all the other fish checkers) being the public face of fisheries management.

no i dont know why they closed the halibut day im a loving fish checker i havin't seen my supervisor in 2 months just let me get a quick count of your scrawny rear end sea bass jfc

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
good thread ty

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Oh poo poo a fish pics thread and you guys like Alaska? This is my kinda place.

I've fished here in Alaska all my life, grew up fishing. My father has fished all his life, his father too. In the 70's and 80's they were commercial fishermen in the Inside Passage from Washington to Hanes. They stopped after I was born and has been a very busy sport fisherman since.

Hope this isn't too many pictures. I got hundreds more and can keep it up if people are interested.

Me and my father, sometime summer 1987

Summer 86 or 87

One of my early fish, probably far from my first. 1991 or 92 probably.

Decent sized halibut of mine. Probably around 1999.

90'sAlaska.jpg My father, sister, brother and myself.

Father and Sister these days

In the summer you can find my father with a fishing pole in one hand and a Miller High Life in the other.

Myself, my wife and father.

This is Anchor River, the king salmon season opens at midnight.

I'll leave it at that for now.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Please post more photos! The fish look pretty awesome!

I fished the kings as they chased the Pink run up the Chilkoot one year.

It was amazing and I would love to go back to do some fishing up thereabouts again. Also, I hope to one day catch halibut bigger than paddles.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Alright here's a couple more that I have uploaded already.

I recently moved to Juneau from Anchorage and have taken up crabbing. The crab fisheries around where I used to fish (Anchor Point/Homer) are super overfished and as far as I know don't even open anymore. Down here they're super plentiful but have size and sex restrictions.

A couple red king crab, these are about 1/2 - 2/3 of the legal size. Tossed em back to grow up.

Spiny fucks, pain in the rear end to hold.

Dungeness crab, get lots of these guys and they don't need to be nearly as big as kings to be legal size. Don't taste as awesome or have as much meat as red kings but I catch a lot.

Crabbing is nice because my local crab hole is in about 30' of water only about a quarter mile from our launch point. I can bait the pots with basically garbage and leave em out there for a few days and come back to a world class dinner.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Good stuff guys. I'm in the process of moving to Puget sound and looking forward to fishing pictures myself.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have entered the world of custom rods. Any bad idea I have, someone will make for me!

Fortunately, it turned out amazingly well! I got it from Smallie Stix in PA, it's a MHX 6' ML blank, Microwave guides, and an Alps reel seat. It weighs nothing, casts as far as my 7' St Croix ML can, and has more backbone and sensitivity. The day I picked it up I fished with it for 8-9 hours and never got cramped. Really loving this thing.

I also caught my first wild trout:

Found a stream full of these little guys. I had far far too heavy a line on my light rod for this stuff, but it was fun non the less. I want to respool my little 500 spinning reel with like 2lb braid and go after these guys again with these 1/124oz jigs I have been tying.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

I have entered the world of custom rods. Any bad idea I have, someone will make for me!

Fortunately, it turned out amazingly well! I got it from Smallie Stix in PA, it's a MHX 6' ML blank, Microwave guides, and an Alps reel seat. It weighs nothing, casts as far as my 7' St Croix ML can, and has more backbone and sensitivity. The day I picked it up I fished with it for 8-9 hours and never got cramped. Really loving this thing.

I also caught my first wild trout:

Found a stream full of these little guys. I had far far too heavy a line on my light rod for this stuff, but it was fun non the less. I want to respool my little 500 spinning reel with like 2lb braid and go after these guys again with these 1/124oz jigs I have been tying.

Little brown?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 minutes!
First nice catch of the season!

19 inch black drum, dude was tasty. Is there a saltwater fishing thread? That's mainly what I'm doing these days.

Field Mousepad fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 2, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Little brown?

Yep, cute little bastard.

Caught a nice pickerel yesterday while bass fishing. It hit like 30' out and I thought it was a turtle it fought so hard.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ok Fella posted:

First nice catch of the season!

19 inch black drum, dude was tasty. Is there a saltwater fishing thread? That's mainly what I'm doing these days.

Nice fish

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
this thread makes me feel good. hope i can find some new sunfish spots i want to like loving double the size of my eatin' fish

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
My first marble trout from Slovenia, on a dry fly...

https://imgur.com/a/w5BlV

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

That's a nice fish. Never heard of a marble trout. Kinda looks like char.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Going fishing this weekend and this thread is helping me get psyched for it. If i actually catch anything ill post it up!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

New personal best bass, caught on a fluke in an abandoned park. Broke off right at the bank, but I managed to grab him and get the lure out. I have been flirting with YZ Hybrid but back to my trusty 15lb braid.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08RXP8xonYI

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Holy poo poo that's a trip down memory lane.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
What do you even do with fish? Do you eat them? Throw them back in? For that matter, where do you even go fishing?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 minutes!

OSU_Matthew posted:

What do you even do with fish? Do you eat them? Throw them back in? For that matter, where do you even go fishing?

The one I posted on this page I ate, fish are pretty easy to prep for cooking. Whatever you don't know how to cut up you can look up a video about it on YouTube. I generally throw what I catch back unless I get lucky and hang a big one or two.

I live on the coast of North Carolina so I'm mostly surf fishing or messing around in the inlets. Pretty much anywhere you live you can get to a body of water so get your rear end out there and catch something! Also get a fishing license. And bring beer.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

OSU_Matthew posted:

I eat the ones that are nice to eat and use the ones that don't taste nice as bait to catch better tasting fish. Carp end up fertilizing mum's vegie garden. There are some things like wrasse or banjo sharks that are useless and get thrown back in.

black children
Dec 14, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

For that matter, where do you even go fishing?
since the dawn of time, man has grappled with this question

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
You fish so you are not just some sketchy dude wandering around in the woods. The rod is an alibi.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

You still gotta wear pants though.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
If people don't want to see my wacky worm, they should stay off the water.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey, I haven't gotten a chance to fish yet this year, but I was walking along a stream last week when this fellow swam up to the surface

It was kind of hard to guage the size without a point of reference, I'd say maybe ~25 inches? It had a decently fat head. Not bad given how wide the water is. This stream links some wetlands and a larger creek, so it wasn't surprising there'd be a pike in it, but it's still cool to see fish hanging out in their natural habitat.

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015
Some nice fishies in this thread. I see many species we don't have in my corner of the world. Would be nice if folks wouldn't mind posting where they caught their pictured trophy.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 25, 2016

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Is that bottom a pike minnow?

Also what was the stomach contents?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

LingcodKilla posted:

Is that bottom a pike minnow?

Also what was the stomach contents?

Yeah, Colorado Pikeminnow. No idea on stomach. Since they're endangered and my study doesn't currently have any focus on diet, we don't lavage them. Measure, weigh, scan for PIT tag, release.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yeah, Colorado Pikeminnow. No idea on stomach. Since they're endangered and my study doesn't currently have any focus on diet, we don't lavage them. Measure, weigh, scan for PIT tag, release.

I thought it was a pike minnow but didnt realize the Colorado sub species was in trouble. The broad mouth is kinda unique for a big CA fish. Where is your study out of? I've been a volunteer with Moss Landing research center for over 6 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

LingcodKilla posted:

I thought it was a pike minnow but didnt realize the Colorado sub species was in trouble. The broad mouth is kinda unique for a big CA fish. Where is your study out of? I've been a volunteer with Moss Landing research center for over 6 years.

I work in the upper Colorado River basin. Utah and Colorado mainly. The Colorado, Green, Yampa, and White rivers mostly, plus their tribs.

To partially answer your question, that particular fish probably had a red shiners, redside shiners, sand shiners, and white suckers in its gut. That's the primary forage base of the area right now.