Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Very cool. The big complaint with them in the Sacramento basin is they eat all the juvenile trout, salmon and stripers. Not even considered a game fish out here but they attain decent size.

I'm sure you know that just giving out general info for non-CA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

LingcodKilla posted:

Very cool. The big complaint with them in the Sacramento basin is they eat all the juvenile trout, salmon and stripers. Not even considered a game fish out here but they attain decent size.

I'm sure you know that just giving out general info for non-CA.

Yeah, it's kind of interesting that an imperiled ancient group of species like that (given that most ancient species are imperiled in their native range) can be super invasive and properly gently caress up another ecosystem that is geographically very close but still outside their native range. I think it's northern pikeminnow that are the big problem in the PNW. Burbot are in major decline in the upper Green River basin, where they are native, but are invasive in the middle Green.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Nabbed a really nice 12" brown this morning. Odd that I didn't see any hatches, but this guy took it clean off a dry fly anyways. The missus had a big string of 8-10" brownies all morning an a dry-dropper rig.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Got skunked on the flatfish yesterday. But scored some shellfish.

TheDon01 posted:

Bottom is sandy/silty but there are plenty of rocky spots.

No luck with halibut but my crab pots I dropped the other day were productive.

The king crab were tossed back, too small and too female. But I did get 2 of the biggest dungeness I've seen in a while.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

gamera009 posted:

Nabbed a really nice 12" brown this morning. Odd that I didn't see any hatches, but this guy took it clean off a dry fly anyways. The missus had a big string of 8-10" brownies all morning an a dry-dropper rig.

Nice! I find I can catch quite a few fish on dry flies despite there being no surface activity.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Went backpacking last weekend and caught some brook trout, probably 6-8 inch guys. Fishing in high mountain lakes is kind of cheating though because they'll bite on pretty much anything. I'll see if I can dig up a pic

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm just getting into fishing.

Freshwater, planning on hitting the reservoirs and rivers here in the N.E. US. What sort of beginner rod and reel should I look into?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Just grab a $30 walmart special, there's always time to buy more gear when you know exactly what you're looking for.

They're cheap but work just fine, don't expect the reel to last more than a couple seasons if exposed to saltwater but hey....$30.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

TheDon01 posted:

Just grab a $30 walmart special, there's always time to buy more gear when you know exactly what you're looking for.

They're cheap but work just fine, don't expect the reel to last more than a couple seasons if exposed to saltwater but hey....$30.

Actually, I have been using something like that...but my landlord left 3! Shimano Scimitar 8.5 foot medium poles (2 in retail packaging) setup for a top mount bait caster. Any idea what would be a good reel to throw on there?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Baitcasters are tough to start on without instruction and cheap ones even more so. I have heard that the Abu Black Max line is decent though.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Baitcasters are tough to start on without instruction and cheap ones even more so. I have heard that the Abu Black Max line is decent though.

Huh. Well, even though I thought I cancelled my order a Mitchell 310 combo is on its way to my house.

Should be fine I imagine.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I prefer spincasters over bait casters, but it mainly comes down to personal preference in how well you're able to cast with each. I can't cast worth a drat with baitcasters but my pops could probably grab a hat off someone's head from 30yds.

Also don't go heavy on the line, monofil especially. If the line is too heavy for the reel you're gonna have a big rats nest before you leave the parking lot and it wont cast worth poo poo.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah I'm not taking an 8.5 foot rod in a canoe with me. I went canoe fishing today with my 5.5 foot and it was about the right size. I caught another small largemouth bass from my backyard this morning though!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Also, I successfully executed my first Palomar knot based on only my YouTube knowledge while the wind was blowing my canoe around and successfully paddled over and removed a hook from a tree branch overhanging the water.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Awesome, was there at least one beer drank that day? Sounds like the ideal day of fishing.

And if you're canoe fishing and don't want to get blown around make a tiny anchor, provided your lake isn't 300' deep. When I had my canoe I just had big brick with hole drilled in it on about 40' of crabline. You don't need anything substantial if you're not fighting tides or a river.

Also Post a fish! if ya caught something I'd like to see it. Might be old hat to you guys but I've never seen a bass in person and I know you got tons of other crazy little fish down in the states.

In Alaska news, halibut fishing still seems to be terrible. My neighbor keeps saying "Oh it's not quite halibut season yet" but his loving boat is covered in moss and hasn't moved in decades, also it's almost July. King salmon fishing is going good, no luck myself but my roommate hooked into one the other day but lost it and my little brother caught a beautiful one on his birthday yesterday.

Happy birthday Bro

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Some bass from last week. Not pictured: maybe a hundred smallmouth and redbreasts I got wading last Monday. The kayak is fun and all but I think wade fishing is becoming my favorite.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Little guy I caught a couple of weeks ago at Royal Arch Lake

Caught some bigger ones later in the day at a different lake but don't have pictures of them.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

That's some proper fish friendly catch and release right there, good work

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

That's some proper fish friendly catch and release right there, good work

Heh I was thinking the same thing.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
First time something has hit my crank bait.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Been fishing in Hokkaido the last two days. Amazing water out here!

Phone posting so hopefully this isn't a table-breaker!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Nice fish!

Is your third to last pic there a creek chub? Or some other type of chub?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Heh....chub

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

Heh....chub

http://fishandboat.com/pafish/fishhtms/chap11minnows.htm

It's a minnow.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Buddy, I am the chub-master. A tiny fly fishing hook baited with a little marshmallow bait, tied to 2lb mono, the chubs cannot resist it.

I need to get a little micro fishing rod though, trying to hand-line on eroded suburban creeks is a pain.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Not a chub, but maybe a shiner? I guess? Anyway, you can have a ton of fun with tiny fish on a really light rod. This one was on a Suntech Kurenai HM30R, which weighs a little under an ounce, line and all.

It's a ton of fun with bluegill and trout, too. Panfish will make it sing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Not a chub, but maybe a shiner? I guess? Anyway, you can have a ton of fun with tiny fish on a really light rod. This one was on a Suntech Kurenai HM30R, which weighs a little under an ounce, line and all.

It's a ton of fun with bluegill and trout, too. Panfish will make it sing.

All chubs are minnows.

Shinners are not minnows.

Cute little guy! I always find it amusing when you catch fish swinging above their weight.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Are chubs even considered true minnows?

Taxonomy gets really weird sometimes, and I don't know if chubs are still classified in the right subfamilies, even though on a superficial level I can't really see why they wouldn't be minnows.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Nice fish!

Is your third to last pic there a creek chub? Or some other type of chub?

Our guide called it a Japanese white fish. Looks like a creek chub of some kind!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Oh I didn't notice it was in Japan. Not really as good at IDing fish outside of North America. Maybe Pungtungia then? I couldn't find results for Japanese white fish that weren't sushi related.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Oh I didn't notice it was in Japan. Not really as good at IDing fish outside of North America. Maybe Pungtungia then? I couldn't find results for Japanese white fish that weren't sushi related.

Found it!

Tribolodon hakonensis. Japanese dace.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Oh yeah, good ID there, wasn't really taking the redness into account as much as I should have

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So I'm having trouble with my pond largemouth bass. They're generally pretty small, under 4 lbs for sure.

They aren't going for the white shad plastics I got, and I think my 5 or 6 inch worms or shads are getting tail struck. Worms are getting hit a lot more.

I've got them Texas rigged, though, and it looks like a lot of the time the hook hasn't gone through the bait.

Could the Texas rig be the problem? Or is it more likely fish hitting the end of too large bait?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

So I'm having trouble with my pond largemouth bass. They're generally pretty small, under 4 lbs for sure.

They aren't going for the white shad plastics I got, and I think my 5 or 6 inch worms or shads are getting tail struck. Worms are getting hit a lot more.

I've got them Texas rigged, though, and it looks like a lot of the time the hook hasn't gone through the bait.

Could the Texas rig be the problem? Or is it more likely fish hitting the end of too large bait?

Cut off a section of the plastic. Pretty easy with the worms.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Cut off a section of the plastic. Pretty easy with the worms.

That's what I was gonna do. I fish in branchy/reedy shallows so I'm not leaving a hook exposed unless I paddle out to my secret rocky fishing spot with no plants and submerged trees

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
What weight rod and what kind of line are you using? I used to constantly use too light a rig for t-rigged plastics and was missing a ton of hook sets. I fished the same stretch of river like two weeks apart, same small lure both trips, first with a ML rod and braid, then with a L rod with stretch hybrid, the different in missed hooks sets were crazy.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

What weight rod and what kind of line are you using? I used to constantly use too light a rig for t-rigged plastics and was missing a ton of hook sets. I fished the same stretch of river like two weeks apart, same small lure both trips, first with a ML rod and braid, then with a L rod with stretch hybrid, the different in missed hooks sets were crazy.

Mitchell 310, 5.5 ft pole with 6 lb mono. I'm hoping Amazon will let me return it because the loving line snags I'm getting with this reel are legendary. It casts like a dream but it's being out fished by a rusty larger rod I found buried in the shed.

It also has a tendency to bend too much and have the line crossover the top of the pole while casting too

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
What is there a weight range on the rod? The short length and 6lb mono make me assume it it a L or UL rod, which would explain hookset issues.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

What is there a weight range on the rod? The short length and 6lb mono make me assume it it a L or UL rod, which would explain hookset issues.

Light. I did some fishing today. I got really mad because I hooked a log even though I t rigged it and waded out there, saw it was too deep, got in my canoe, unhooked it, and fished from the canoe.

I could see the fish that were attacking my bait and tons of others. None were over 4-5 inches, and I saw A LOT of them. They couldn't physically swallow the hook I'm using so I either have to rerig for minnow fishing or paddle out to where the bigger fish are.

Should I bother practicing on small fish? I can easily get to some rocky bottomed spots with sunken trees, a dam, or bridges which I think I'll have a lot more luck landing 8 inch plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Dude, get you a Ned Rig.

Google it for details, but the jist is using these special plastics from a company called Zman, which are a different type of plastic that makes them super durable, super soft, and super buoyant. The idea is by using one of these small plastics on a very light jighead, you have a lure that can be worked fast to cover water, has amazing action despite being a stick bait, and is super durable.

To start out, order a pack of Zman stickbaits and some Zman 1/15oz jigs. Other stuff will work but not as well imho. Stretch the plastics out to snap some salt out, then cut them in half and use a drop of glue to hold them on the jighead.

The Ned will catch tiny fish and big fish. Using an open hook will help you with hooksets on a L rod. It is a really productive lure and will get you catching. You will loose them often fishing around cover, but a single pack of worms gets you eight baits, so for like $20 worth of tackle you can get a ton of fish.