Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have a few Okuma Avengers and they have held up well. I also see a ton of them charter boat racks, which I guess also speaks well of their durability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Cool. I figured the issue with my hooksets is not being able to get enough on them with my light action rod and want to go up to medium. Switching to Gamakatsu hooks (much, much sharper than eagle claw) helped a lot, but if I catch one fish with a hook it is slightly less sharp and I can't land another fish until I cut and retie a brand new hook on there.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Get a little stone dude.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Get a little stone dude.

I am so good at sharpening knives (stainless, high carbon, pocket knives) I am embarrassed I didn't think of this.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

A nice brown on a streamer Friday night, almost 20 inches.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Armed Neutrality posted:

Nice. I got a 15 inch 2lb largemouth this afternoon and filleted it. Was pretty tasty, reminded me of really fresh cod/halibut.

I didn't release it because it sucked the hook into an artery or part of the gill and was bleeding a lot.

I did figure out my hookset problem: I was using EWG hooks instead of standard worm hooks so my hooks were just bouncing out of the fish. Instead of 20 bites and a catch I had 1 bite and a catch today with my new hooks, was fishing for maybe 20 minutes instead of 2 hours.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Armed Neutrality posted:

I have the shittiest luck with streamers. I've been trying to practice with a muddler minnow, but it doesn't seem to matter. I'm just terrible with them. :(

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Used this weeks crab catch for lawn decorations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Used this weeks crab catch for lawn decorations.

That is pretty genius. Good for the soil, too!

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

gamera009 posted:

I have the shittiest luck with streamers. I've been trying to practice with a muddler minnow, but it doesn't seem to matter. I'm just terrible with them. :(

I've been fishing them with success for a while now. They work best when the water is high and cloudy, I went again last night with a 5 inch articulated streamer and had 7 explosive strikes in an hour, one 18 inch fish landed and a bigger one popped off. I used a sinking line last night because of the high water, and I generally work my way downstream, casting across the current as close to the far bank as possible, mend upstream to let it sink a bit, and strip across the current.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Armed Neutrality posted:

I've been fishing them with success for a while now. They work best when the water is high and cloudy, I went again last night with a 5 inch articulated streamer and had 7 explosive strikes in an hour, one 18 inch fish landed and a bigger one popped off. I used a sinking line last night because of the high water, and I generally work my way downstream, casting across the current as close to the far bank as possible, mend upstream to let it sink a bit, and strip across the current.

*Stares over the edge of the abyss*

...I...I think I'll stick to bass fishing with spinning gear for now.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Armed Neutrality posted:

Sounds like what I'm doing, only I suppose I'm not working with the right line. I'd hoped that a longer tapered leader would let the streamer sink more. I may switch to a beadhead streamer and see if that gives better results. For now, I haven't had any issues with using a dry-dropper rig or just floating the right fly to get what I want.

I'm jealous of the size fish, but nothing in the higher/alpine creeks I fish can support anything about 12-14". Still, it's great to be able to spend an hour and haul in a dozen or so 8-10" browns and rainbows.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Light. I did some fishing today. I got really mad because I hooked a log even though I t rigged it and waded out there, saw it was too deep, got in my canoe, unhooked it, and fished from the canoe.

I could see the fish that were attacking my bait and tons of others. None were over 4-5 inches, and I saw A LOT of them. They couldn't physically swallow the hook I'm using so I either have to rerig for minnow fishing or paddle out to where the bigger fish are.

Should I bother practicing on small fish? I can easily get to some rocky bottomed spots with sunken trees, a dam, or bridges which I think I'll have a lot more luck landing 8 inch plus.
One thing about fishing for large bass is that they're territorial and smart enough to see you and then get put off the bait. Largemouths also bite different than most other fish and it can take a good bit of practise before you learn how to get them - they inhale stuff and then spit it back out to get a taste of it, and after that, they'll decide to truly take it into their mouth and then mosey off.

You might look up some videos demonstrating a bass hitting a lure.. It took me quite a while to get a feel for largemouths, because I would originally try to set the hook during the false-strike taste, which literally just pulls the lure away from them and usually will startle them, as well. Sometimes bass won't bother tasting a lure - but that's usually when their being aggressively territorial and see your lure as an interloper rather than an easy meal.. Stuff like frogs, big rattling lures, mice, etc will get hit hard, but smaller and less active stuff like worms they take their time with.

http://www.bassresource.com/fish_biology/ambush_bass.html

Oh also, bass can grab shockingly large prey compared to their size, like half their body length or more, so size of your worm is probably not the issue - unless you've got the hook up at the very front rather tham halfway or more down the length of it. The texas rig won't matter because once a back takes that lure and closes his mouth and moseys off - is when you set it.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 9, 2016

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

coyo7e posted:

One thing about fishing for large bass is that they're territorial and smart enough to see you and then get put off the bait. Largemouths also bite different than most other fish and it can take a good bit of practise before you learn how to get them - they inhale stuff and then spit it back out to get a taste of it, and after that, they'll decide to truly take it into their mouth and then mosey off.

You might look up some videos demonstrating a bass hitting a lure.. It took me quite a while to get a feel for largemouths, because I would originally try to set the hook during the false-strike taste, which literally just pulls the lure away from them and usually will startle them, as well. Sometimes bass won't bother tasting a lure - but that's usually when their being aggressively territorial and see your lure as an interloper rather than an easy meal.. Stuff like frogs, big rattling lures, mice, etc will get hit hard, but smaller and less active stuff like worms they take their time with.

http://www.bassresource.com/fish_biology/ambush_bass.html

Oh also, bass can grab shockingly large prey compared to their size, like half their body length or more, so size of your worm is probably not the issue - unless you've got the hook up at the very front rather tham halfway or more down the length of it. The texas rig won't matter because once a back takes that lure and closes his mouth and moseys off - is when you set it.

Well the biggest issue I'm having right now is that I gut hook 1/2 the fish I catch despite using big hooks and worms. Changing from EWG to standard worm hook helped that a lot though.

I don't want to switch to smaller hooks (using 2/0 right now) for top fishing worms because I'm looking for 2 pounds and up.

Edit: I caught, killed, filleted, skinned, and pan roasted a 2 pounder and while delicious, it kinda looked like I was eating kitten.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
That is an unusually high gut-hook rate, I suspect you are missing a poo poo ton of bites and only noticing the ones when they sallow it and swim away. What power/action and brand of rod are you using again?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Edit: I caught, killed, filleted, skinned, and pan roasted a 2 pounder and while delicious, it kinda looked like I was eating kitten.

What's wrong with kittens?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

That is an unusually high gut-hook rate, I suspect you are missing a poo poo ton of bites and only noticing the ones when they sallow it and swim away. What power/action and brand of rod are you using again?

Light rod, 5.5 ft, Mitchell 310, Gamakatsu 2/0 worm hooks, spider wire braided 15 lb test with a 4lb mono diameter.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Are you line watching like a motherfucker? I'm guessing that your rod is not sensitive enough to detect a really gentle bite and by time you noticed they've already swallowed the lure and hook. Often your only clue to a bite is the line moving sideways. I caught two bass this morning on weightless senkos and both times I didn't feel anything, just saw the line move.

Using braid should be helping but maybe use a slightly heavier weight so you can keep the line tighter?

How are you fishing the worm, lift/drop, drag/deadstick, or what?

Also very jealous of your backyard pond.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's been a while since I've fished seriously and I've been just having no luck this summer. It's been unusually hot and I'm told the fishing hasn't been good for anybody around here but I still feel like I'm part of the problem.

How long do you try one thing before you switch up what you're doing or where you're doing it?

For reference I'm in the Trent river and I've tried jigging with worms and wacky jigs, I've tried weedless soft plastics, a weightless senko, a weighted senko, crank baits, a topwater popper, really just about anything I've got. I've been fishing the channel, shorelines, weedy areas, rocky areas, mornings and evenings and I've caught one fish all week: a bullhead on a worm.

I've pretty much been driven to my end here as far as catching fish. I still find fishing really relaxing and a good way to chill out for a few hours so no real loss. I've never been great at fishing but usually I end up with a few bass or something after a week.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I switch up whenever the mood strikes me. Sometimes I can fish the same thing for 4-5 hours, sometimes I change out every 20 minutes. It really depends on experience and whatever whim you have, though.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Well the biggest issue I'm having right now is that I gut hook 1/2 the fish I catch despite using big hooks and worms. Changing from EWG to standard worm hook helped that a lot though.

I don't want to switch to smaller hooks (using 2/0 right now) for top fishing worms because I'm looking for 2 pounds and up.

Well the optimal way to deal with gut-hooks is to clip the line and let the fish keep the hook in its belly where it will rust away quickly. It's survivable if you didn't try to twist it out too much, first.

Gut hooks come a lot from highly aggressive fish like stocker trout and largemouth bass, it just comes with the territory, and a smaller hook is going to be more likely to end up farther down their throat, imho.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

38.120414, -119.449380

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

38.120414, -119.449380

Yeah I want a 100gallon tank with a brook trout. Simply gorgeous.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah I want a 100gallon tank with a brook trout. Simply gorgeous.

Having seen how big a brookie gets when fed with no real outside pressure, you need three times that. :gonk:

Uni here had a long term study on impacts of rainbows, browns, and brooks on native cutthroat populations and were raising mixed batches in massive tanks. Holy hell a brook trout can get huge when well fed.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Don't feed it much?

Eat it if it gets too big.

This isn't rocket science.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I caught a tiny Brook trout on a mountain side with a shovel once. We were fixing the spring that fed the farm downstream. We had an old two liter bottle someone had left up there filled with water and we took it down to the owners' personal pond.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Today I went perch fishing in the Severn River.

I caught a lot of little guys like this:

And a bunch of medium guys like this:

I also caught this weird guy, not sure what he was doing in such brackish water:

And then, I caught this bastard:

16" Striped Bass, my first one. Caught him way back up in the creek in maybe 3' of water. He hit the little spinner sticking out of the Pumpkinseed's mouth. The bass was quite a thing on a 5' UL rod and a 500 reel. It took like a full minute to get him in and I cut the poo poo out of my hand when I had to grab the line to keep him from running under my kayak.

Tomorrow I am taking the yak to this bass pond that I bank fish at. I got a 3lb-ish LM out of there in the spring so I am going to cover the entire pond to try and find another one.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Where you fishing at again?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Whoah...it took me a few minutes on two piece light action for an 18 inch largemouth...is that excessive? He hid under trees and stuff a few times.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Where you fishing at again?

In a feeder creak to a tidal river that feeds the Chesapeake bay. As far as I know it is salty enough to only support brackish/saltwater species. My buddy is a bio-researcher so I am going get him to send the pic around and see what's up.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Whoah...it took me a few minutes on two piece light action for an 18 inch largemouth...is that excessive? He hid under trees and stuff a few times.

In general you want to land a fish asap as they get the same muscle cramps we do and a long fight increases mortality. So generally just get it landed with out dragging it across the surface, as you want it to be a little tired so you can unhook easier. In my case, I immediately knew that I had either caught a striper or a chain pickerel, both of which would break my little rod and maybe max out the drag on my little reel, so I had to let it run a bit before I began to retrieve him. I cannot stress how light this rod is, it is a UL Mod action, so basically a noodle. I bought it because it is the only thing I have found that will cast a 1/16oz inline spinner remotely well. It still isnt great, but step up to 1/8th and it will cast a loving mile. In any case, it was bent double and I started to hold it away from my face in case it snapped. Really an awesome end to the day.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

In a feeder creak to a tidal river that feeds the Chesapeake bay. As far as I know it is salty enough to only support brackish/saltwater species. My buddy is a bio-researcher so I am going get him to send the pic around and see what's up.

In general you want to land a fish asap as they get the same muscle cramps we do and a long fight increases mortality. So generally just get it landed with out dragging it across the surface, as you want it to be a little tired so you can unhook easier. In my case, I immediately knew that I had either caught a striper or a chain pickerel, both of which would break my little rod and maybe max out the drag on my little reel, so I had to let it run a bit before I began to retrieve him. I cannot stress how light this rod is, it is a UL Mod action, so basically a noodle. I bought it because it is the only thing I have found that will cast a 1/16oz inline spinner remotely well. It still isnt great, but step up to 1/8th and it will cast a loving mile. In any case, it was bent double and I started to hold it away from my face in case it snapped. Really an awesome end to the day.

Oh I'm in Norfolk for 4 months. Let's go fishing?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh I'm in Norfolk for 4 months. Let's go fishing?

Hah, I'm like 4 hours away, it's a big bay dude.

But I would be up for it, I am off work for a while but Sep/Oct are going to be nuts so I need to get all the fishing in I can. Can you get access to a kayak? I have no idea what the deal with saltwater fishing down there is and I am mostly a freshwater guy in any case. I do have a surf rod that I have used exactly once that I would love to give a workout, but idk what the seasons are for that.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

so I got a Shimano Sienna 4000FD and Shimano Sojourn 6.5ft medium heavy on a whim because I was tired of complaining about my tiny fishing rod and annoying everyone here.

Also, my grizzled old neighbor has had his Shimano Sienna forever and loves it. Will post pics of all the fish I slay.

Edit. Okay, I gill hooked a 2 pounder. Felt bad because I was fishing barbless in an attempt to catch and release. New setup is much easier to use.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 18, 2016

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Siennas are great reels. I used them on my kayak for a while where they were getting heaps of salt water splashed on them and inside them, and they held up fine

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

Siennas are great reels. I used them on my kayak for a while where they were getting heaps of salt water splashed on them and inside them, and they held up fine

Yeah, I'm pretty broke right now so I tried to go for a reasonable quality/price combo and Shimano's lower end stuff seemed like it hit those requirements. I like the rod too! Cork handles are my thing.

It casts like a dream with a larger plastic on there, you don't get quite the snapping action that sends a small plastic flying with a light action rod. More of a trebuchet than a whip, it took me about a half hour to adjust my cast. Next time I'll put a weight on there and really rip some shots into the pond so I can avoid the wind knots I seem to get with a freshly spooled reel.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I love my Sienna so much, I bought a Sahara.

I still catch all my fish on the Sienna when fishing 2 poles.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

TheBizzness posted:

I love my Sienna so much, I bought a Sahara.

I still catch all my fish on the Sienna when fishing 2 poles.

Yep! I love it. Have had two major wind knots in about 2.5 hours of fishing, though. It likes underhand casting and plastics 5 inches and above.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Okay now I'm hooksetting barbless hooks perfectly...into tongues and gills. What gives guys? Blood on last 2/5 fish.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Dude maybe you got some depressed fish?

Iirc you are catching in the 1-2lb range right? I have noticed that dinks will often smash a large lure to their own determent but you just seem to attract some reckless rear end bass.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Dude maybe you got some depressed fish?

Iirc you are catching in the 1-2lb range right? I have noticed that dinks will often smash a large lure to their own determent but you just seem to attract some reckless rear end bass.

Yeah I dunno, these guys are hitting hard as poo poo. Maybe my hook size is too large but I don't hookset until I have a real weight on my line. There are a shitload of tiny bass here who will tail strike and pull a T-rig clean off or run with it.

You can easily lose a senko or yank the whole setup clear out of the water hooksetting when they do that. I've seen the little guys 6" or so chase and then strike when I'm swimming the bait back and they'll bite the bottom half and run sideways with it like a real fish.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Also let me ask about plastic stick baits while I'm here.

I have no problem with Senkos except they tear and they are outrageously expensive. They catch a lot of fish for me but I go through 2 an hour and they cost 75 cents a pop. I have a backyard fishing pond and fish every day.

I tried a brand called Gambler that sort of smelled like pizza herbs that was a hell of a lot cheaper and more durable. Didn't land anything on it though. Small sample size, ran it for about 2 hours in less than ideal conditions.

I've read good things about Yum Dingers and Bass Pro shop stick-os as far as price to quality and that Yamamoto stuff works but is mostly reputation at this point.

Also I have found natural shad colors to get the most strikes but again, small sample size.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 14, 2016