Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

OmNom posted:

Hi my name is OmNom and I'm not a financial train wreck. Financially I might be a bit more liquid than I like and need plan for what to do with my resources.

Financial Profile:

Student Loan Debt - $4,132 @ 5%

Cash Reserves - $30,000

Stocks - $11,000

Income Property - Bought in May for $59,368

Valued at around $72,000 and no mortgage,

Monthly Income:
Server Job - $3,600 (average for the year based on YNAB figures. Ranges from $2,900 - $5300)
Income Property - $825 (gross)

Monthly Expenses:
Fixed expenses - $1,350 average
Everyday Expenses - $1,000 average

Total Outflow - $2,300 average

Ok, so now what? For the past 4 years I ran my own business, and I'm only now looking to get into the corporate world. I have no 401k or IRA, and I liquidated the majority of my equities to buy the property. I have a second interview coming up on the 5th for a position in digital marketing which would be a small pay cut from where I am now, but with growth potential, benefits and bonuses. They would offer a 401k with a percent match based on the how the company's profits are at the end of the year.

To get where I am now I've just been methodically good with my money and learned to live comfortably with a little less, though it does help that my hobbies are pretty much cheap out doorsy things. After two years of methodical tracking I am able to see where my major spending points are and where I need to trim. Being in So. Cal there isn't too much I can do to lower my rent.

I am turning to the wisdom of BFC to help me make a better long term plan for my finances.

Is there any reason why you haven't paid off that student loan? You seem to have more than enough cash reserves to knock it out, and that's a guaranteed 5% return.

Can't comment on the retirement front since I'm not American, but you may be interested in the concept of financial independence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread