Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Tarion posted:

I kickstarted this and it seems pretty interesting. Hope it works out.

So did I, I just can't remember when I did or how I even found this game.

Oh well, in it to win it now. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Kimsemus posted:

Bad pvp mmo crew checking the gently caress in

Tarion
Dec 1, 2014

Kimsemus posted:

I remember how I learned about it, from Chris Roberts.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010
I for one, am looking forward to yet-another-probably-terrible game to play with the likes of Kimsemus and Stormgale because Who-knows-it-might-be-good. I'm unreasonably optimistic about Crowfall, though. I like the weird systems they're trying to put together.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Zizi posted:

I for one, am looking forward to yet-another-probably-terrible game to play with the likes of Kimsemus and Stormgale because Who-knows-it-might-be-good. I'm unreasonably optimistic about Crowfall, though. I like the weird systems they're trying to put together.

Zany, experimental systems in games usually end up in hilarity, as some clever goon almost always finds a way to exploit it to the benefit or our own amusement.

Example: Literally everything goons post about in the ST:O thread. Starfleet Dental is a hivemind of genius.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Kimsemus posted:

Zany, experimental systems in games usually end up in hilarity, as some clever goon almost always finds a way to exploit it to the benefit or our own amusement.

Example: Literally everything goons post about in the ST:O thread. Starfleet Dental is a hivemind of genius.

Yeah the funnest parts of WoW were the weird bugs and exploits in vanilla, like the Hakkar blood plague in every town the night ZG came out or when the Orgrimmar general chat server got overloaded during the AQ materials gathering event and gave me moderation privileges

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Flavahbeast posted:

Yeah the funnest parts of WoW were the weird bugs and exploits in vanilla, like the Hakkar blood plague in every town the night ZG came out or when the Orgrimmar general chat server got overloaded during the AQ materials gathering event and gave me moderation privileges

Were you able to do anything fun with your newfound powers? Like permabanning people from general chat?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Most new MMO's are carefully engineered to remove fun

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Kimsemus posted:

Were you able to do anything fun with your newfound powers? Like permabanning people from general chat?

I could definitely kick people and make other people moderators

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

Kimsemus posted:

Oh, I know. I ran (quietly) with you guys in Archeage, after all, and back in the hugely distant past I abused DAOC and SWG systems enormously (mostly the latter). That's part of why I'm so optimistic that Crowfall's gonna be hilarious. And until then, BnS, BDO, and Camelot Unchained should all be pretty entertaining. :v:

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Stormgale posted:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Stormgale posted:

I fuckin' warned you about Crowfall man, I warned you!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Stormgale posted:

word

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Orv posted:

Oh Sweet Orv, much like a greek oracle your wisdom is cursed to never be accepted.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
The crow ship game in which goons rule the eternal kingdom

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Usenet Magic-User posted:

The crow ship game in which goons rule the eternal kingdom

I personally am excited on being the only gently caress grinding body crafting so I can make everyone be the hamsters

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
I am just praying for fishing pacts and or back pedaling on promises.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Stormgale posted:

I personally am excited on being the only gently caress grinding body crafting so I can make everyone be the hamsters

Yo real talk, if the hamster rogues are Redwall and not Furaffinity I will be all over that poo poo.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Orv posted:

Orv, our eternal voice of reason, which we also never listen to but probably should.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Kimsemus posted:

Orv, our eternal voice of reason, which we also never listen to but probably should.

Not even going to reference classical Greek plays, I'm disappointed man.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It is genuinely bothersome to me that you think I'm the voice of reason in the Bad MMO Squad. That hurts man.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Orv posted:

It is genuinely bothersome to me that you think I'm the voice of reason in the Bad MMO Squad. That hurts man.

How does this relate to your reaction to puns?

Orv
May 4, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhQhH2VJfw0

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Kimsemus posted:

im pretty sure you heard from me or LG, kim back in the days of us writing terrible posts

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i too still have a 30 dollar ticket to whatever this happens to be :shepface:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Blazing Zero posted:

im pretty sure you heard from me or LG, kim back in the days of us writing terrible posts

Actually come to think of it, it was either you or Widestancer who told me about this game after AA. :toot: I blame both of you if this game is good and I enjoy it.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Flavahbeast posted:

Let's not forget summoning people into thin air thanks to zero-pixel bug.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

New article up about the Ranger archetype. Melee and ranged playstyles, but you'll need ammo for the bow (ugh). Hopefully her melee won't be too lovely.

Apparently you'll be able to craft your own arrows though, and there will be a discipline to specialize into that. I hope we have a decent amount of bag/bank space in this game considering all the bodies and arrows and other poo poo we'll be carrying around.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
If arrows are a consumable I hope they create a reason to use different arrow types opposed to straight up dps differences.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Gerbil_Pen posted:

If arrows are a consumable I hope they create a reason to use different arrow types opposed to straight up dps differences.

Blair already posted that current plan is to use the ammo system to allow variance in damage types. They don't want people to have to switch on the fly for specific effects and such.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

cathead posted:

New article up about the Ranger archetype. Melee and ranged playstyles, but you'll need ammo for the bow (ugh). Hopefully her melee won't be too lovely.

Apparently you'll be able to craft your own arrows though, and there will be a discipline to specialize into that. I hope we have a decent amount of bag/bank space in this game considering all the bodies and arrows and other poo poo we'll be carrying around.

This used to be a thing in WoW, at first it was a cool way to craft your own good arrows out of rare mats for a DPS increase, but then it invariably just became a minmax thing of you blowing huge amounts of time on making the best arrows, otherwise you were a peasant. They should make it to where arrows confer status effects and damage types, but no dps increase.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Arrows as inventory items has always been a stupid mechanic, if you want different arrows with different effects just makes them separate powers.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

malhavok posted:

Arrows as inventory items has always been a stupid mechanic, if you want different arrows with different effects just makes them separate powers.

I think this might tie into the fact that a lot of other classes might have limited resources as well, with armor and weapon wear, and they want to create a reliance on crafters to create and trade/buy/sell those kinds of resources. I can see a couple reasons why they might want to do it this way but I'm also not convinced it will work out in practice. That being said, it's still way too early in class design to make a final decision since it depends a lot on how the rest of the classes and character mechanics work. Given the thought they've put into the rest of the game so far though I think they'll be willing to take it out if they find it's not going to work out well though.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

malhavok posted:

I've been playing a lot of Divinity: Original Sin with my spouse lately and I kind of like the way it's done in that game-- Regular boring arrows and arrows used in skills are infinite and come from the ether, so to speak, but special-effect arrows (fire arrows, ice arrows, poison arrows, charm arrows, knockback arrows, etc) are items you craft/loot and carry around. I'd like to see it taken a step farther and see specialty arrows that apply a buff to your next attack, which can be a skill. So you could use a fire arrow item to add fire to the attack and then use the ricocheting shot skill to burn multiple guys with one fire arrow or whatever.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Zizi posted:

I've been playing a lot of Divinity: Original Sin with my spouse lately and I kind of like the way it's done in that game-- Regular boring arrows and arrows used in skills are infinite and come from the ether, so to speak, but special-effect arrows (fire arrows, ice arrows, poison arrows, charm arrows, knockback arrows, etc) are items you craft/loot and carry around. I'd like to see it taken a step farther and see specialty arrows that apply a buff to your next attack, which can be a skill. So you could use a fire arrow item to add fire to the attack and then use the ricocheting shot skill to burn multiple guys with one fire arrow or whatever.

Again though, in almost all multiplayer instances this simply becomes an issue of minmaxing if you're not careful, anything that increases DPS situationally is always going to be used, but it's kind of a fake effort, since you'd have to normalize skills and weapons and stats to compensate for this.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Kimsemus posted:

Again though, in almost all multiplayer instances this simply becomes an issue of minmaxing if you're not careful, anything that increases DPS situationally is always going to be used, but it's kind of a fake effort, since you'd have to normalize skills and weapons and stats to compensate for this.

It also gives a slight advantage to classes that can use stuff like that because it can be assumed that most players will have that benefit most of the time, given preparation, while sword-guys or whatever don't have the chance (usually) to boost their stuff via some trivial preparatory function. Maybe add in sharpening stones or club wax.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

Kimsemus posted:

This is absolutely true, but I didn't think getting into a whole game designy detail thing was necessary or topical, tbh. That said, if one is worried about balancing like that, there's plenty of options, the easiest being "give other classes consumable-based damage/CC/whatever options".

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

Stormgale posted:

I feel this with every fiber of my being.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

cathead posted:

:eyepop: Thanks for the update

Redhead female rangers with green clothing is a must in fantasies

Smite's Artemis

Cassie from Paladins

Windrunner from DoTA 2

:nallears:

although yea, she'll have customization, i just find it amusing that this scheme is default~

wow a lot from this update too, so we do know that bows will require ammo, this changes up almost everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I think they are going to use ammo to put ranger in a harassment role with a scout/skirmishing archetype (this is me probably talking out my rear end) but forcing the ranger to use ammo means that as an engagement goes on they lose alot of their potency, meaning for big sieges you bring a tonne and have to commit for that ranged superiority but you can also carry light and focus on ambush/harassment.