Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

NeurosisHead posted:

Isn't there some sort of vassalage or fealty system where your guild can work for a larger one? That would work out okay if there's only a few of us farting around.

There's an alliance system but it doesn't affect scoring. I'm not even sure if affects like AOEs or wahtever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Applied to the guild as threash.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

malhavok posted:

Applied to the guild as threash.

you're in

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Yeah please be sure to post here or ping me on the discord if you apply.

I guess we're focusing on prepping for faction versus faction campaigns so get a character levelled and some cool gear.

I have no insight into builds or game mechanics so if someone here is good at games feel free to make a post.

Also I have no idea how EKs work and wanna set the goon one up.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Capntastic posted:

Yeah please be sure to post here or ping me on the discord if you apply.

I guess we're focusing on prepping for faction versus faction campaigns so get a character levelled and some cool gear.

I have no insight into builds or game mechanics so if someone here is good at games feel free to make a post.

Also I have no idea how EKs work and wanna set the goon one up.

Melee ranger seems good. I made a hammer throwing cleric and it has a bunch of funny CC abilities but doesn't do any damage. My main issue is i'm not sure I understand how damage scales. My weapon says it does like 50 damage but I do like 300 damage per hit. I only have 6.4% damage bonus so ???

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Lorem ipsum posted:

Melee ranger seems good. I made a hammer throwing cleric and it has a bunch of funny CC abilities but doesn't do any damage. My main issue is i'm not sure I understand how damage scales. My weapon says it does like 50 damage but I do like 300 damage per hit. I only have 6.4% damage bonus so ???

there's a damage bonus, a damage type bonus, a damage type armor penetration rating, and damage specific armor ratings. Those all go into the sausage machine and then you turn the handle and get your damage roll.

Unironically I wondered about this myself, but a cursory google didn't bring me any reddit effortposts or anything about it.

Knoxx
Oct 6, 2009
Found the guild, applied as KnoxxST

BobTheVillain
Apr 25, 2009

The perfect counter argument, coming right up.
Ok, Dregs is fun enough. Even large fights have been pretty even so far. Lost a keep and gained back control 5 different times. Game is more fun than Swords of Legends online at least, so crowfall it is until new world for me.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

BobTheVillain posted:

Ok, Dregs is fun enough. Even large fights have been pretty even so far. Lost a keep and gained back control 5 different times. Game is more fun than Swords of Legends online at least, so crowfall it is until new world for me.

Who you playing with? Also, keeps can only change hands once per week.

BobTheVillain
Apr 25, 2009

30.5 Days posted:

Who you playing with? Also, keeps can only change hands once per week.

That’s because I’m an idiot and use keep and fort interchangeably. Playing with Valeria. Solely because they use Guilded and I wanted to see how that works out versus Discord.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
For all of the “releasing an unfinished game” stuff I saw, this game is much better than I expected. It feels mostly complete from a mechanics point of view, and really does feel like a modernized shadowbane. The world and animation style are cool, rotations are unique (holy poo poo blight bombs on arch druid are gimmicky but the most fun I’ve had in a video game in a while), nothing really feels incomplete to me. I hope this builds them some steam to do a proper launch rather than the soft launch they did.

My only issue is that it seems like you pretty much have to be in a group to do anything at all, especially in the dregs. Maybe it will change since I’ve only been playing two days.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Ort posted:

My only issue is that it seems like you pretty much have to be in a group to do anything at all, especially in the dregs. Maybe it will change since I’ve only been playing two days.

Pretty sure it does not, maybe if you play ganking classes like assassins or duelist.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

i'm checkin this out, just applied as bockzcar

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

boxcarhobo posted:

i'm checkin this out, just applied as bockzcar

Got ya!

Someone in the discord linked this wiki which seems useful and has a good name: https://crowcaine.wiki/wiki

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

From watching videos on youtube the combat/build variety in this game actually seem great. But when I try to watch someone play on twitch it's 99% running around seemingly doing nothing. It kind of seems like a game with some good core systems that has next to nothing to actually do in it.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Carmant posted:

From watching videos on youtube the combat/build variety in this game actually seem great. But when I try to watch someone play on twitch it's 99% running around seemingly doing nothing. It kind of seems like a game with some good core systems that has next to nothing to actually do in it.

this is realm vs realm games in general. running around in a mob trying to find another mob for 5 minutes of seratonin

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Requested to join as Unicornicus.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Ort posted:

For all of the “releasing an unfinished game” stuff I saw, this game is much better than I expected. It feels mostly complete from a mechanics point of view, and really does feel like a modernized shadowbane. The world and animation style are cool, rotations are unique (holy poo poo blight bombs on arch druid are gimmicky but the most fun I’ve had in a video game in a while), nothing really feels incomplete to me. I hope this builds them some steam to do a proper launch rather than the soft launch they did.

Seems like at least ranger can probably sneak around, dehorse some straggler and get out before the rest of the group responds. I'm sure other stealthers are the same. Have I done it yet? Nope - i'm bad!

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Carmant posted:

Right now there is a lot of farming going on. It's pretty much an arms race of crafting better gear and vessels for the top alliances.

They really should have started with the three way realm v realm campaign instead of dregs though.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Got some kills last night as an alpha warrior. The fights felt really good. I wasn't convinced healers were that valuable, but I think when you consider how much damage mitigation can be laid down, healers on top of that can have a huge impact even though most of the healing numbers are fairly small.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Lorem ipsum posted:

Got some kills last night as an alpha warrior. The fights felt really good. I wasn't convinced healers were that valuable, but I think when you consider how much damage mitigation can be laid down, healers on top of that can have a huge impact even though most of the healing numbers are fairly small.

I hope so, my current highest level character is a guinea pig cleric and the healing output feels like absolute trash. Granted, my personal scale of healing output comparison is WoW where an entire bar of life is just a cool down away so hopefully things are scaled well like you say and it works out well in practice.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The problem with healers is they don't have the sort of damage mitigation that makes healing useful so if you don't have the numbers to stop them, half the classes in the game can just walk up and kill them.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

The problem with healers is they don't have the sort of damage mitigation that makes healing useful so if you don't have the numbers to stop them, half the classes in the game can just walk up and kill them.

Seems like protection domain and music domain have a lot of good disciplines for mitigation

Every role has glaring weaknesses by design from what I can tell, which is very different from other games where you can be somewhat self sufficient. Healers are weak so you need your team to protect you, etc. not sure how well dependencies like that will last as people get more geared.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Is there a way to change character or account names?

BobTheVillain
Apr 25, 2009

malhavok posted:

Is there a way to change character or account names?

Email support@crowfall.com. They will want a list of 5 in case your first chosen is taken.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I'm watching a siege defense on a twitch stream and the attacking alliance used a pack of burrowing guinea's to ambush a flanking force the defenders had in reserve. That's pretty cool, I'm glad to see that tactics like that have a place.

BobTheVillain
Apr 25, 2009

Don't sleep on healing. In solo or maybe the smallest of group fights they struggle but in anything larger they are key and get all the atta-boys. We just defended against a pincer attempt on a fort and defeated over 2:1 opposing numbers (verified by crowbar parser) made possible by our healing core. Healers are critical.

BobTheVillain fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 12, 2021

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
I don't know if I'm going to pick this up, but I have been following this past month from end of beta. Here's a bunch of links I have found reasonably helpful:

God Buffs that stack

Character Planner

Beginner's Guide to Gathering from official forums.

Beginner's Guide to Crafting from official forums.

Crafting Spreadsheets

More Crafting Spreadsheets

Crowcraft an incomplete site that should help with what items are needed to craft.

Healing Cleric Meta in 6.540 (Updated 2021-07-02) from official forums.

Confessor Inquisitor Healer from official forums.

Alpha Warrior Champion build from official forums.

Titan Myrmidon build from official forums.

Warden Ranger build

Edit: also with the talk of healers and it not feeling as meaningful as you'd hope, the meta seems to be that in 5 man (or 6 in dregs) groups you want 2 healers so they can keep each other alive. And the top healing subclasses are Arbiter and Crusader in Cleric and Inquisitor in Confessor. Templar Paladins are for point defense like forts or keeps. Earthkeepers in Druid have problems with the wrong people picking up their healing orbs.

And the strong meta classes that aren't healers are Warden Rangers and Alpha Warrior Champions. Barbarian Champion doesn't do as much dmg but has great sustain. Vindicator in Templar is great at deleting people under 30% and have parry for defense. If you can handle the crash mechanic, the Titan in Myrmidon is nigh unkillable (but get stunned at the wrong time or if you don't mind the crash gauge you'll instantly die.) Stormcaller in Druid is a good magic dps I guess. Archer Ranger is another good ranged dps.

ccubed fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 12, 2021

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
Some of us are playing in US East 1...

To apply to our guild either go here: https://crowfall.com/en-US/guilds/search?name=Goons#GOONS or join our server at https://guilded.gg/badgamescrew and ask for an invite.

See you there! o7

Tempus Thales fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 12, 2021

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Tempus Thales posted:

Some of us are playing in US East 1...

Not to step on toes but CAWFUL has more members currently. If you wanna organize with us that might be mutually beneficial.

https://crowfall.com/en-US/guilds/search?name=Cawful#CAWFUL

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Probably best not to split groups. Can we get Cawful in OP if not we should probably re make thread.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
I've figured out the damage formulas mostly. Its very simple and very not apparent from the UI.

Attack power modifies the tooltip damage of most powers (as in: the tooltip damage has the attack power baked in). The scaling varys power to power and this is not documented. Many are base damage + (attack power * .5). Final power damage is always multiplied by your damage bonus.

Left click damage is the ( (tooltip damage of your left click + weapon damage) * damage bonus)

DPS? Hard you calculate since there doesn't appear to be an animation speed number for attacks.

Is it worth investing in dex as a non-primary attribute if you have a high critical damage bonus? For a few characters I have looked at, no. Strength (damage bonus) seems to always edge out critical chance. Please let me know if you find a counter example. Here is some example math:

code:
Wood-elf Frostweaver

Critical Damage: 175%
Attack Power: 400

Choice (61 attribute points):
9.2% damage bonus
16.2% critical strike

(400 * 1.11 * .833)+(400 * 1.11 * 1.75 * .162) = 487.7

OR

3.1% damage bonus
22.3% critical strike

(400 * 1.031 * .777)+(400 * 1.031 * 1.75 * .223) = 481.4

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jul 12, 2021

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Last time I played this they still had the Eve learning skills through time system.

Is that still in place or did they take it out?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

BadLlama posted:

Last time I played this they still had the Eve learning skills through time system.

Is that still in place or did they take it out?

They took it out, sadly.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Anias posted:

They took it out, sadly.

That is a bummer.

Downloading now, applied to cawful.

Your VIP status just automatically started on the 9th from being a backer... even before creating a single character. Whatever just 3 days but that is really goofy.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

BobTheVillain posted:

Email support@crowfall.com. They will want a list of 5 in case your first chosen is taken.

They did this literally instantly, wow. Malhavok in game now.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

:ohdear:

Also why not just join the existing CF guild?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Game is more fun the longer I play which is kind of surprising. The crafting is actually pretty cool and once you unlock the secrets of harvesting its a lot less painful. We have been getting some really fun fights too and its basically been super fun. I hope the population picks up though.

I'm considering breaking from the goon guild to form my own guild since most of the people i've been playing with aren't goons. Maybe we could form an alliance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am in the guild Corvus Citadel which seems to be quite large. Usually 10 people in groups even at off hours. I’ll stick with it for a bit but I much prefer smaller scrums than huge zerg fights.