Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Kimsemus posted:

They *claim* it can handle it fine, but I don't know how you can eliminate lag and high pings from say, Europe to a US datacenter effectively in massive battles. Didn't SOE struggle and pour crazy money into figuring this out in PS2 and still couldn't quite nail it?

It's my understanding that they're just using the standard unity 5 engine; is this no longer the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think they could probably make the game but I think it's still going to be terrible because they want everybody to play nice

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Eonwe posted:

I think they could probably make the game but I think it's still going to be terrible because they want everybody to play nice

But I thought I was supposed to play 2 crush...

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

2DCAT posted:

I'm more concerned that Crowfall's engine/architecture won't allow for lag-free large scale PVP.

Very much this. It's sort of dumb, but I feel like Crowfall and Camelot Unchained are two pieces of the puzzle, they both lack something the other has.

Camelot Unchained has had a big focus on massive scale battles playing out without servers dying while keeping an acceptable framerate. But the design document feels outdated by years if not decades: monthly sub, heavy investment at a per character level, guaranteeing huge costs with realm/faction changes which has long term consequences for balance.

Crowfall is a very modern look at both the gameplay and the metagame of MMOs, with fluid campaigns and a buy to play model which means you can easily set your own schedule. But the testing that has been done seems like it would only support a battle with the population of an FPS server, and the engine seems to be built on some frameworks that may prove to be too general and not MMO specific enough.

Well that's a lot of words about some pie in the sky nerd projects, hope at least one of them makes it through at the end.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Kimsemus posted:

It also will depend on how much the Crowfall devs encourage political intrigue like CCP does with EVE. Unfortunately, we won't know either of these things for a good while. :/

Ya to me this is the 'turn' if they embrace it technically, and mechanically or if they do everything they can to deter from it.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Ya to me this is the 'turn' if they embrace it technically, and mechanically or if they do everything they can to deter from it.

It's an interesting lever they may or may not pull; since the game has a focus on allowing smaller groups to gain an edge, and espionage and infiltration is one of the most powerful tools there is for that.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Icept posted:

Very much this. It's sort of dumb, but I feel like Crowfall and Camelot Unchained are two pieces of the puzzle, they both lack something the other has.

Camelot Unchained has had a big focus on massive scale battles playing out without servers dying while keeping an acceptable framerate. But the design document feels outdated by years if not decades: monthly sub, heavy investment at a per character level, guaranteeing huge costs with realm/faction changes which has long term consequences for balance.

Crowfall is a very modern look at both the gameplay and the metagame of MMOs, with fluid campaigns and a buy to play model which means you can easily set your own schedule. But the testing that has been done seems like it would only support a battle with the population of an FPS server, and the engine seems to be built on some frameworks that may prove to be too general and not MMO specific enough.

Well that's a lot of words about some pie in the sky nerd projects, hope at least one of them makes it through at the end.

Just want to point out that the larger scale testing is actually what's next. They want to start setting up siege situations where they allow larger groups of people on a server group up and try attacking/defending a castle or fort so they can test siege gameplay, structure destruction and voxel bullshit, and if all of this holds up when more people are around. They claim to have some optimizations they can do in Unity to handle larger groups so we'll have to see how true that is and how far they can push it. But at lest we'll start to find out sooner rather than later.

Kimsemus posted:

It also will depend on how much the Crowfall devs encourage political intrigue like CCP does with EVE. Unfortunately, we won't know either of these things for a good while. :/

To their credit they've been pretty open about supporting that kind of emergent gameplay so far, it was a big part of their constant (and often corny) comparisons to Eve and Game of Thrones. As with the rest of the game, saying is one thing and actually doing is another. I'm not sure what the alt/guild situation is going to be like now with the Vessel system, but I seem to recall them before saying that guilds were going to be at the account level anyway, so you'd probably still need to make the investment for a second account (or at least commit with your main account) to do spying on other guilds or factions.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I mean explicitly the "Faction" Pvp of order chaos and balance necessitates intrigue from the balance side to ensure the war isn't decidedly won by either other faction

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Stormgale posted:

I mean explicitly the "Faction" Pvp of order chaos and balance necessitates intrigue from the balance side to ensure the war isn't decidedly won by either other faction

Typically three faction systems, IMO, always do better at this than two since there is always someone looking to third party for fun and ruin the plans of the other two, al la Planetside 1 and Guild Wars 2.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I enjoy tedium in games as long as it mirrors realism. I ought to get a heart attack when running a mile. And walking through shrubs should be nigh impossible. Don't even ask me about my dysentery from dirty water consumption.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Then you may be interested in my new game Shitfarmer 2016. It involves hand-tilling a field in real time, then being killed by vikings.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Pavlov posted:

Then you may be interested in my new game Shitfarmer 2016. It involves hand-tilling a field in real time, then being killed by vikings.

Is that an ark expansion? I would still be playing ark but the dinosaur taming was to fast for me to find it believable.

Doodeh
Sep 4, 2008
Was away for a couple of months, what did I miss? Noticed that the CF forums went to poo poo.

KJDavid
Nov 22, 2013

My other avatar is a pocke-thingy.

Doodeh posted:

Was away for a couple of months, what did I miss? Noticed that the CF forums went to poo poo.

What were they before?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Doodeh posted:

Read the OP since the Vessel stuff was probably the biggest thing in recent memory. Siege testing should be in a month or two as well.

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

I think in 10 years we will have some great mmos. I wish I was being sarcastic. Companies are starting to get somethings right.
Albion -- one server sandbox like eve,
Crowfall -- trying to beat the stagnation/power curve top guilds obtain

Other games are doing other good things. The problem is ultimately none of these games all together are very good and will fail. Being that it takes about 7 years to make an mmo AND someone is watching the good parts of each of these games, it stands possible we could see the next great thing 10 years from now. This in my opinion is why this genre is so dead. What is good and fun is a moving target and MMOs dig into the ground and hit the spot where the target was 7 years ago usually. So the 10 year thing is really to make the best mmo of today, which by then will be trash and we will all hate it.

I think you're probably right, but I don't know if I'll still be interested in MMOs in 10 years. I kind of hope I won't be.

Stormgale posted:

Yeah, it's an interesting dynamic. I'm not a fan of faction combat but it's much preferable to Abominable Mutants vs. Nords or whatever.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

I think in 10 years we will have some great mmos. I wish I was being sarcastic. Companies are starting to get somethings right.
Albion -- one server sandbox like eve,
Crowfall -- trying to beat the stagnation/power curve top guilds obtain

Other games are doing other good things. The problem is ultimately none of these games all together are very good and will fail. Being that it takes about 7 years to make an mmo AND someone is watching the good parts of each of these games, it stands possible we could see the next great thing 10 years from now. This in my opinion is why this genre is so dead. What is good and fun is a moving target and MMOs dig into the ground and hit the spot where the target was 7 years ago usually. So the 10 year thing is really to make the best mmo of today, which by then will be trash and we will all hate it.

I'll never understand how this industry looks at a literal graveyard of World of Warcraft/Everquest copycats and says "Yeah, let's make one of those" instead of something similar to EVE/Ultima Online/Star Wars Galaxies (that being the only one that died due to the license and the playerbase getting pissed over the NGE overhaul).

There's so many crowdfunded sandbox games coming out, one of them is bound to be good. I mean there is such little chance of becoming the next World of Warcraft or even Guild Wars 2, why bother? Why not find a viable niche that is practically guaranteed to play your game due to a lack of alternatives?

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I'll never understand how this industry looks at a literal graveyard of World of Warcraft/Everquest copycats and says "Yeah, let's make one of those" instead of something similar to EVE/Ultima Online/Star Wars Galaxies (that being the only one that died due to the license and the playerbase getting pissed over the NGE overhaul).

There's so many crowdfunded sandbox games coming out, one of them is bound to be good. I mean there is such little chance of becoming the next World of Warcraft or even Guild Wars 2, why bother? Why not find a viable niche that is practically guaranteed to play your game due to a lack of alternatives?

I've always thought that myself. If you are a no name studio why not target a small audience that you can succeed in rather than go big. I guess for a lot of groups it might be that the business plan has to scale infinitely ... I don't know.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Trip report from todays test: i don't know what they did but their control scheme is much much improved from last time. It doesn't feel "weird" anymore.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

malhavok posted:

Trip report from todays test: i don't know what they did but their control scheme is much much improved from last time. It doesn't feel "weird" anymore.

I didn't get to hit up the test last night to see, but it's good to hear that it seems to be working! I think I'll try and get a few games in tonight to see how it feels for me, even though it will be west server when I'm on east coast.

Also, there's a Skills FAQ up on the site now, in case anyone had some lingering questions about that.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Seems way more responsive and less finnicky. Of course, that's an improvement over nigh-unplayable catastrophe so it's got a ways to go yet.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I still have my alpha invites even tho I sold my pavkage before it even started

Orv
May 4, 2011
I got alpha access as a gag gift for Christmas, maybe I'll actually try it tonight instead of watching Twitch occasionally.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Eonwe posted:

I still have my alpha invites even tho I sold my pavkage before it even started
Is this a brag or an offer?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just an observation

Orv
May 4, 2011
So, forget all this MMO poo poo, just make like a 100v100 version of this combat test. If they can make it actually work without being on the verge of lag explosion all the time it'd be pretty cool.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Orv posted:

So, forget all this MMO poo poo, just make like a 100v100 version of this combat test. If they can make it actually work without being on the verge of lag explosion all the time it'd be pretty cool.

I'm pretty sure I saw you in my game, but then I changed graphic settings and my entire world went black and I couldn't see poo poo. Then I restarted to try and fix it and now I can't get back in to the server. :(

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah it's still a bugfest, I had three straight match starts where I just had a floating camera and had to restart.

E: 40,000ms package trip.

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 6, 2016

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Well, at least for the short time I actually got to play, the new controller is a HUGE improvement from the last test I did.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Anyone got an invite? Pledged $175 on layaway and it'd be nice to try it out before I put more than the $24 deposit into this.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Anyone got an invite? Pledged $175 on layaway and it'd be nice to try it out before I put more than the $24 deposit into this.

:eyepop:

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

I have 18 months to pay it off, and if I don't, that $24 I put in gets applied to a lower tier package. Since I'll wait it out, worst case scenario, I have a B2P game half paid off, best case scenario I have some cool poo poo in a game that's pretty fun.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't think there's a best case scenario when one spends $175 for a video game.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

2DCAT posted:

I don't think there's a best case scenario when one spends $175 for a video game.

game shaming in the crowfall thread? i cant beleive it

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Blazing Zero posted:

game shaming in the crowfall thread? i cant beleive it

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I actually got some decent games in during the test today. Still having some FPS issues probably due to a combination of it being super unoptimized plus my computer being a few years old, but otherwise it was actually pretty fun.

Now that they've got character movement working better they need to work on how the abilities feel. A lot of them don't have much in the way of impact, so it's kind of hard to tell when you're hitting people sometimes, and many of them have fairly long animations that tend to root you in place, so it's difficult to get a good flow going. I know they have some more changes planned for that so we'll see how it works out.

Other than that though there's at least some rudimentary strategy possible once you understand how each of the classes work. It's a pretty good foundation to start with, they just need to get the actual combos and abilities feeling as good as it does to move your character around now.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I had a surprising amount of fun over the past couple tests, but I think I'll go back to watching from afar, there are some serious issues that mar any actual attempts at doing well.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

I'm assuming, based on the number and strength of orgasms I achieved while reading the FAQ, that this game is vaporware.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Space Monster posted:

I'm assuming, based on the number and strength of orgasms I achieved while reading the FAQ, that this game is vaporware.

It's very difficult to be actual vaporware in a world with Kickstarter and where all you need is a playable build to get additional funding on Early Access.

If you want to see actual vaporware, go check out the Revival thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Space Monster posted:

Not really, against all odds it's somehow got something actually playable. Granted right now it's just a combat test so I guess you could consider the campaign/EK stuff and destructibles and other stuff they haven't added yet vaporware, if you really want to. Siege testing is next month though so that will have some more features and we'll see if the game can actually handle larger-scale combat.

I think it's probably more of a question of what all will actually make it in to the initial release, and if they'll have to cut anything along the way.