Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Lastgirl posted:

"dont freak out about the interface"

i bet people will anyways
I hate when game devs in general stick the health/whatever meters in the upper-left ghetto instead of down by the castbar and hotbar where you should already be looking.

pretty sure most of the time they just do it without really thinking about it, copying MMOs like WoW

Jackard fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
I like having the player health/stamina/whatever below the hotbar like they do in that last UI video posted. I always get addons for WoW that move my HP bar somewhere near there every time I play.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm an insane person who immediately pulls the HUD name plates down around to either side of my character so that I can watch bars, AOE markers and stats all at once.

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008
are their forums still run like a middle school vice principal would, or what

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Zarithas posted:

are their forums still run like a middle school vice principal would, or what

Yeah because they don't need negative people ruining the community, despite them literally forming a secret anonymous gestapo moderation team that all had strong affiliations with specific guilds (for a game that isn't out yet)

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008
yeah there's like an 87% chance this game's hosed

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I still give it more of a shot than the darkfall rereleases.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I still think it'll be a playable but mediocre game that won't gain too much traction outside the preorder playerbase but will still manage to stay propped up by a handful of whales for a couple years before dying out. They'll probably revive a little interest by releasing a new game mode or two later on.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Deki posted:

looking 50/50 to me :shrug:

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Deki posted:

the thing that amuses me most is that there are two versions

there is very arguably no market for even one darkfall, even with a company more competent and resourceful than aventurine. there definitely isn't a market for two loving darkfalls. especially ones run by a bunch of random indies with almost no dev experience.

i'm still going to give them both a shot though because i'm a masochistic idiot

Unguided posted:

I still think it'll be a playable but mediocre game that won't gain too much traction outside the preorder playerbase but will still manage to stay propped up by a handful of whales for a couple years before dying out. They'll probably revive a little interest by releasing a new game mode or two later on.

screenshotted so i can post this in 2 years

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

speaking of Aventurine, Im cracking up at their google snippet

not sure what happened here

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

sounds like their labored, heaving death throes

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Flavahbeast posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW_oMKGMQaU

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

https://www.crowfall.com/en/news/meet-the-druid/

New info out on the druid class. The mechanic to limit firehose healing looks interesting.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
so a bunch of sad nerds recorded some vids and stuff

im assuming theres no nda or whatever

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/forum/50-crowfall-videos/

a bunch of em here, showing some siege fights and stuff

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
^^^ Wow that looks like a glichy mess.

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008
I'm getting some Shadowbane vibes from the combat and animations, for some reason.

Pavlov posted:

^^^ Wow that looks like a glichy mess.
It does, but I think it looks decent enough for an alpha build.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Zarithas posted:

I'm getting some Shadowbane vibes from the combat and animations, for some reason.

Holy poo poo, I was about to post the same.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Crowfall is being made by the guy who did shadowbane is why, he even calls it a spiritual successor.

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Lastgirl posted:

Crowfall is being made by the guy who did shadowbane is why, he even calls it a spiritual successor.

Yeah I know, I guess I just wasn't expecting to get that same vibe given what I'd previously seen of the combat and graphics.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I do like that there seems to be a clear emphasis on reasons to fight and giving PVP purpose. So many sandbox PVP MMO's fail because there is no actual reason to fight anyone. Others fail because the objectives don't actually encourage PVP. Thinking of War hammer Online here, the "PVP" was just 2 zergs avoiding each other capturing keeps from NPCs because the exp was better than actually fighting someone.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Lastgirl posted:

I hope it doesn't result in the same AFK farming groups of horrible AI that SB was famous for. Is there actual leveling and gathering of resources? SB did some things well, and the rest of the game content was a limp/shallow mire of poo poo with semi-decent graphics.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I do hope this game does well. It seems interesting and I hope they make PVP actually the focus of the game, as said previously so many MMOs before have been "gently caress yeah pvp" and then completely fail to deliver.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
From what I remember there's no plan for levelling via xp groups a la shadowbane, just pvp for loot.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Cartouche posted:

I hope it doesn't result in the same AFK farming groups of horrible AI that SB was famous for. Is there actual leveling and gathering of resources? SB did some things well, and the rest of the game content was a limp/shallow mire of poo poo with semi-decent graphics.

The "leveling" is Eve-style skill training so it will be somewhat external to the gameplay and won't require actual leveling. Almost everything in the game is based on resources though and that's intended to be the main driver of PvP conflict. As far as I know there will still be some monster groups around that have resources (there already is in alpha) but I don't think they will be lucrative enough to the point where you'll be sitting there farming poo poo in groups for hours like in SB.

I'd like to get in a Siege Perilous game one of these days but it seems like you have to be around at the right time as they fill up pretty quick and then it's hard to get enough people to get another started.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Shadowbane looked like rear end but their animations were fully motion captured, they were nothing like crowfall at all.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

The Shadowbane world suffered greatly from vast areas of empty nothingness between zones and virtually no environmental sounds. The most engaging thing was large scale PvP battles, and those would not work unless you had the settings such that you only saw torsos floating about.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Floating torso pvp would be something to behold.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Not that I'm sanctioning this or pushing people towards it, but in case anyone is interested, Crowfall support sent me here when I asked to get a refund:

http://www.anshex.com/index.php?cmd=crowfall/pledgeSell

While it's a shady-as-gently caress site, it does in fact work, and I received the full value of my KS pledge in my Paypal within 24 hours.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

lol

"No refunds, but hey, check out this RMT site. Maybe they'll buy your account."

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Would prefer a refund from Albion.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

They did an article on the Druid. Looks like a pretty interesting design, I can't wait to light myself on fire from healing too hard.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

neat read

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
lol
http://crowfall.com/en/news/founders-update-soft-launch-strategy/

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Communication and honesty is "lol"?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Cartouche posted:

Communication and honesty is "lol"?

No, launching with a minimum viable product is. The entire point of getting nearly 2 million on Kickstarter and millions more on the website and through VCs was to get a finished product at launch. If they were just going to launch with an alpha/beta build or did modules, I would've waited until it hit the early access section on Steam.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Alexander DeLarge posted:

No, launching with a minimum viable product is. The entire point of getting nearly 2 million on Kickstarter and millions more on the website and through VCs was to get a finished product at launch. If they were just going to launch with an alpha/beta build or did modules, I would've waited until it hit the early access section on Steam.

So every kickstater game then? You have a perfectly valid argument to be mad about this stuff, but this isn't something only this game has done.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

BadLlama posted:

So every kickstater game then? You have a perfectly valid argument to be mad about this stuff, but this isn't something only this game has done.

They're essentially doing a non-wipe alpha/early beta once persistence is at a state where they want it to be. I can't think of another Kickstarted MMO that launched like this except for Gorgon, and that's by a guy and his wife and has a $75,000 budget.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Alexander DeLarge posted:

They're essentially doing a non-wipe alpha/early beta once persistence is at a state where they want it to be. I can't think of another Kickstarted MMO that launched like this except for Gorgon, and that's by a guy and his wife and has a $75,000 budget.

Uh, Star Citizen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

if you pour money into mmo kickstarters or EARLY ACCESS, you deserve your fate